• Happy International Mermaid Day! 🧜🏼‍♀️

Mike McCrea's Fire-in-a-Can Ripped-off on Shark Tank!

Reaction score
I was watching an episode of Shark Tank (season 9, episode 21) and two guys came on hawking a product called "Radiate Portable Fire" This product looks to my eyes to be an exact rip off of Mike McCrea's Fire-in-a-Can. They got a deal for $100,000 for 25% from shark Robert. Here's their website. https://radiateportablecampfire.com/

I remember making something very similar quite a few decades ago out of a tuna can, rolled up corrugated cardboard, and paraffin wax. I think they were called hobo stoves. We managed to cook a few meals over them.

I was watching an episode of Shark Tank (season 9, episode 21) and two guys came on hawking a product called "Radiate Portable Fire" This product looks to my eyes to be an exact rip off of Mike McCrea's Fire-in-a-Can. They got a deal for $100,000 for 25% from shark Robert. Here's their website. https://radiateportablecampfire.com/

Mike McCea has advanced beyond what is depicted in their video. What they are displaying is almost exactly how this all started. I happened to have the great good fortune to bear witness to Mr. McCrea's first field trial of the V-1 Fire-in-a-Can at a State Park barrier island that prohibited "open" fires. While a successful trial, post ember discussion amongst us raised some ideas on how the product could be improved and Mike took those ideas moved on to V2.0. I'll not share those improvements here in the event Mike intends to launch his own business.

My camping gear includes 2 of those ready for a trip. They are especially nice when arriving after dark and wanting a fire; simply take the lid off and light a match. Dousing the fire is quickly accomplished by replacing the lid.

I remember making something very similar quite a few decades ago out of a tuna can, rolled up corrugated cardboard, and paraffin wax. I think they were called hobo stoves. We managed to cook a few meals over them.

The Fire in a Can things I have made are not an original idea, just an (I think improved) adaptation of the shallow cookie tin, wax, (too tight) cardboard spiral and one-time-use things made by Maine Sea Kayak guides. They probably got the idea from the tuna can Girl Scout/Hobo design.

I wouldn’t cook over that flaming wax, or even heat toddy water, but in areas that require use of a fire pan, or that prohibit fires altogether - desert rivers, teeny rock island campsites, behind the dunes on the breach or other sandy areas – a Fire-in-a-can is a pleasure to have along.

In part for the LNT aspect. Campfires may not as much an issue on forested sites (other than established sites denuded with a fugly understory “firewood” collection browse-line). But I don’t want to imagine the charcoal sootiness wind scattered about on oft-used dusty desert river sites, small coastal rock spit islands or sandy beaches. I don’t actually need to imagine it, I’ve seen that blackfoot char everywhere. Not pretty.

This would not look as pristine inviting covered with blackened bits of windblown charcoal.

IMG019 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

That is pristine, with no charcoal or ash present, because campfires fires are permit prohibited. But the Fire-in-a-can, once produced (and sometimes demonstrated) at permit time has always been allowed

Here too; pure charcoal-free desert dust underfoot. That ain’t no tuna can blaze.

P5030969 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

I will (rarely) do open fires on the ocean beach - provided there is wood, and awake companions - but only at low tide & below the tide line. Nobody wants to walk on hot coals. Or sleep on a bed of nails. Except maybe Rory Gallagher. (Must have had a Taste for guitar in the 60’s and 70’s to understand that reference)

I bring a Personal-Sized-Ivory 1 quart SS FICA pot and some feeder bricks on (no portage of course) solo trips. I don’t linger long around a campfire without companions, but sometimes I want a little warm and cheery flames, even when simply returning to camp from a cold, damp dayhike.

That I can light it with a single flick of a Bic, and put it out instantly with the lid, all the better. With quart pots some supplemental wax “feeder bricks” the instant warmth and cheer is worth it.

This is lit for 60 seconds. Anywhere, anytime.

P1250101 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

The Fire in a Can things I have made are not an original idea,

Original ain't got nothin' do with it! You have perfected it! I have to say, I was surprised as heck to see someone selling this idea on Shark Tank and even more surprised that several sharks made offers. Maybe it's not too late to go on Shark Tank with some McCrea canoe outfitting or camping idea. Maybe your excessively outfitted camping chair.

On one of their videos, made after one month of product indtroduction, they said they're on track to collect one million dollars in revenue their first year.

Back