• Happy (Ancient) May Day! 🎀💈💃🏼🧺💐🍴

Middle Branch Oswegatchie from its source (Adirondacks)

Reaction score
August 13-17, 2015
Paul Conklin (Curtis Mayfly)

I made a looping five-day adventure into the Five Ponds Wilderness. Starting at the end of public access on the Bear Pond Road, I paddlewhacked my way through several ponds to reach the Great Opening or what some call, the Confluence. It is where the water of Willys, Walker, Crooked and Lower Beech Ridge Ponds come together to form the Middle Branch Oswegatchie River. The opening is about 50 acres of lowland; a healthy beaver population keeps most of it canoeable. Three tributaries provide ample adventure opportunity. The environs are prime, in both habitat and vista for a moose sighting. The Middle Branch Oswegatchie would be my avenue of retreat taking me through the heart of the Carpet Spruce Swamp. The headwaters of the Middle Branch could fast become one my favorite places on the planet.

Photos: https://picasaweb.google.com/114267878012874538920/MiddleBranchOswegatchieFromItsSource

Nice pics and thank you for sharing them . Next time you're in the Shire you should pick up some Longbottom Leaf for your next outing. I hear the Old Toby is particularly good as well.

Been thinking about the siren song you mentioned in your pictures. Last spring I walked the outlet of South Hegman Lake in Minnesota. It is a small stream with many drops. Places like that are magical and bring out the child in me, full of wonder and ready to explore. I sat for awhile listening to the water music and was almost lulled to sleep. My thoughts then went to Rip Van Winkle and I moved on.
Got a laugh out of your recreation of the scene in O Brother, Where Art Thou. It must have taken a little while to set up. Thanks again for sharing. Dave

10459107_1014662111901642_8257089311737697334_n.jpg

11244895_1014662188568301_8184436022837601361_n.jpg

Great pictures, plus a strong agreement on the fear of rectal impalement, a seldom talked about hazard in canoe country.

Burn yourself in the fire or lop off a finger with an ax and your labeled a true woodsman, but fall on a spruce stub and you'll be the butt of campfire humor throughout the ages. The stigma and embarrassment of hinder region impalement is very real and one that we trippers should have greater empathy of. Perhaps we should start a stick up the butt support group.

Conk, wonderful slideshow and narration, much appreciated.

I am sure the morning dew spider webs are real and not the old photographer trick of spraying them down with a mister bottle when the light is good.

I noticed your paddle blade keeper/slotted flotation block in the bow. Very clever.

Conk,

that was a great slideshow...makes me want to grab some ultralight gear and do some "Paddlewhacking", thanks for sharing.

Barry

An excellent write up and photo journal. Makes me want to get a light weight canoe! I have to ask as to how old that hat of your is. Looks like its seen some years of use. I'm slowly breaking in a new one after loosing my last in the house fire. Thanks for posting this.

A question about your Vittles ditty bag – is that bag lined with some kind of insulation?

Friend Joel made a couple of insulated freeze dried meal pouches from Reflectix foil/bubble insulation material

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Reflecti...-Insulation-with-Staple-Tab-ST16025/100012574

Man does that simple insulated pouch work well. Even after the usual 10 to 12 minute wait time the grub is still too hot to eat and using a longer wait time seems to help more thoroughly rehydrate those meals. Plus I’m not holding a scalding hot bag.

Joel made the first of them for his guided trip group meal pots and pans, to keep everything hot and tasty til the dinner bell rang.

Reflectix is wonderful stuff. On camping trips it insulates my coffee cup, vittles pot and backside (hammock insulation). I don't like eating out of a bag, so my cozy fits my 28oz. pot. The pot has a lid on top of which I place a small inverted plastic bowl. The whole business is further insulated by the nylon bag that houses the kitchen. I agree that a longer steep will improve quality, especially pasta entrées. Twenty minutes is a long time to wait for supper. I make sure my allotted ration of rum is poured and at the ready to help while away the time of the rehydration dwell.

Reflectix is wonderful stuff

I like it so much I even wrapped my home water heater with it.

So, next question. What’s the story with what looks like a butt-cheeks shaped piece of foam in the bow stem. I assumed it was both floatation and a convenient place to wedge a paddle blade when not in hand, but I’ve never see anything like it.

Original idea? Is it affixed to the boat?

I wouldn't know who authored the idea but foam paddle holsters have always been an option on Hemlock canoes so I'll guess that Dave may have had something to do with it. The one you see in the Mayfly is one that I made. It is over sized because its secondary function is flotation so yes it is cemented to the hull. The Velcro gizmos on the thwart hold the shaft of the paddle just below the grip, I got them from Piragis.

My water heater is wrapped in Reflectix as well. Another chunk is available as a parabolic reflector to improve the HD television reception on my homemade antenna. In the summer, the setting sun creates both a heat and glare problem in one of the west windows of the house... Reflectix to the rescue.

Paul, nice trip. What is your primary/favorite paper map for that area? Did you drive in from Belfort?

Last edited:
Paul, nice trip. What is your primary/favorite paper map for that area? Did you drive in from Belfort?

Seven USGS topographic maps cover the Five Ponds Wilderness. Four are the 1:24,000 scale and three are the 1:25,000 scale. I make full sized color copies (14" x 17") of the area I will be in, these are my go to maps and I would not enter the woods without one. I supplement with blown up photo imagery I find on the internet. I assume these photos are taken from orbiting satellites. They are very helpful in choosing a route. Features such as large erratics or fallen trees are often discernable. With experience, types of vegetation can be determined, certainly the coniferous vs. deciduous. If the imagery is recent, they are helpful in locating vlys and beaver activity, which is the avenue I prefer with a canoe.

Belfort is on the route to Long Pond Road, which turns into the Bear Pond Road at the Weston's East Triangle Wild Forest boundary.

Back