• Happy Marine Mammal Rescue Day! 🐳🐬🦭🦦

MEC Mantis tarp

I’ve done this to a Whetstone small shelter for a solo bug tent. Works great.
Rubbaboo, did you use the Whetstone shelter as your primary sleeping shelter or as a separate shelter for cooking and hanging out in ?

On recent remote canoe camping trips I have been including a shelter in addition to the tent I sleep. I use it for cooking, eating and spending time when wind, rain or insect conditions dictate. I have taken one on both solo and group camping trips.

I started out using a tarp as my secondary shelter. Tarps can be configured for both wind and rain protection and are available with integrated screen mesh sides for insect protection.

I prefer the convenience and performance that freestanding or semi-freestanding shelters provide. I considered adding screen mesh to a Whetstone shelter but felt it may be too small for my requirements. This thread has me considering purchasing a Boat Solo Tent and adding screen mesh to it.

Your photo of the modified Whetstone shelter has motivated me.

John

This June we had a difficult river trip in high water on the Klamath River on the CA/OR border. We were rowing drift boats. I got so tired I just rolled out under some big Jeffrey pine trees every night. It was liberating to be on the ground without a tent. I slept near my brother and both of our dogs stood watch. Cool temps and few bugs.

Sometimes the best tent is the sky.

Last edited:
Rubbaboo, did you use the Whetstone shelter as your primary sleeping shelter or as a separate shelter for cooking and hanging out in ?

On recent remote canoe camping trips I have been including a shelter in addition to the tent I sleep. I use it for cooking, eating and spending time when wind, rain or insect conditions dictate. I have taken one on both solo and group camping trips.

I started out using a tarp as my secondary shelter. Tarps can be configured for both wind and rain protection and are available with integrated screen mesh sides for insect protection.

I prefer the convenience and performance that freestanding or semi-freestanding shelters provide. I considered adding screen mesh to a Whetstone shelter but felt it may be too small for my requirements. This thread has me considering purchasing a Boat Solo Tent and adding screen mesh to it.

Your photo of the modified Whetstone shelter has motivated me.

John
I’ve never slept in it or the mantis. Too many creepy crawling creatures that could skidder over my face in the middle of the night. I like my tent.
The whetstone is amazingly freestanding, there is a strap that connects both ends of the main pole that helps it keep its shape. A couple of rocks is all you really need in windy weather, otherwise it’s just push the poles through and adjust the strap. The whole thing with mesh and poles is 2.5 lbs. I like it so much, I have another waiting to become the next generation.

I had (and perhaps still have) an early version of the mantis. The only thing I hated about it was that the pole sleeve was only slightly larger than the long pole. I found that a pain to take deal with. The shelter itself was very easy to set up and otherwise enjoyable. Currently use a CSS Lean 2, which is lighter/smaller to pack than the mantis, but fussier to put up.

I purchased a Eureka No Bug Zone, but I had to order from Canada. I called Eureka and asked if they had one. Only for sale in Canada. I will never be without one. In an earlier thread I posted about it. Not even bringing a tent anymore. This is bigger/heavier then the Mantis. I'm 6'2" and stand straight up. Took a 4 day heavy pounding on site #18 at Lows with zero issues.

That all being said, when solo I leave this home and I bring a 10 x 10 tarp. Chick got some Kevlar fabric, made patches and sewed 4 D rings into it. I bought a 2 person mesh shelter from REI and clip it onto D rings. Doesn't look as pretty, but works well. I was considering doing the same to my 10 x 14 CCS tarp, but we will see.

Back