• Happy Midnight Ride of Paul Revere (1775)! ⛪🕯️🕛🏇🏼

Manitoba Poling

Reaction score
With some encouragement from Charles Burchill a small and intermittently enthusiastic group of polers has developed in Manitoba. Although not much use on many Shield rivers there a variety of other stream with a gravel bed that allow for the noble art when levels fall. I ordered a new aluminum take-apart pole this summer though circumstances have meant I only got round to using it on the very last outing of the year along the Roseau River down near the US border.

I also got a chance to try out my new Olympus TG4, using the interval shooting mode as well as the video.

low_PA170056_zpsxsh7psxw.jpg

low_PA170038_zpsh9vawdst.jpg

Charles took a few shots too. I'm not sure how he didn't fall out of his canoe laughing! This rapid took me five attempts to get up. It was very shallow with only a narrow chute to allow passage.

PA170026_zpskic5nezz.jpg

PA170028_zpsmohpfwzm.jpg

PA170036_zps6aa61etw.jpg

I tried the video function on the way back downstream. Seemed to work fine although much of what I shot had missed my head from the frame so was pretty useless.By chance it also missed me falling backwards into the canoe as I entered a rapid. The canoe span around so i stood up facing the other way and still clutching my pole. I made it successfully down the rapid before hitting the bank and finally dropping my pole. Fortunately I had a paddle as well so wasn't left stranded.

sorry couldn't get it to embed- link is https://youtu.be/FQLEwaN7rdk

Too Cool Chris!

You missed capturing that tumble on video! I have the balance of an elephant - so I won't be attempting this.

to embed the link you copy & paste the url and hit the add link button next to it. (quick learner I is) :p

I can se it now. Thank you!! I need to start some thing like that up here, in the spring we have the perfect spot to practice right down town!! Maybe I just start polling and people will join!!

I see it as well and could not before. As for poling, I'm confident I could accomplish the falling down part.

Charles loaned me a pole made last year made from a closet pole with a copper pipe fitting and bolt at each end. Its a good way to try it to see if it is something you want to pursue or for instructors wanting to have a number of poles available. They work OK but have a tendency to break unexpectedly.

He has a Youtube channel with lots more poling videos plus many canoe instruction videos he uses for teaching his various students.

My pole is made of sitka spruce, with a coper pipe at one end, I tend to pole in the traditional way, my pole is a bit to large in diameter, but I plan on making an the one this winter maybe a 2 piece. I like wood over aluminum, much warmer and cleaner and lest noisy!!

I didn't pole much so far, but I like it and I think it is easier that what people think.

I made an ash pole a few years go and liked the wood. Aluminum has it's advantages but I think I'll stick with wood.

Back