• Happy (Ancient) May Day! 🎀💈💃🏼🧺💐🍴

Mad River Monarch

The bulkheads we installed on a Sawyer Loon turned it into a stiffer hull but also made it as difficult to use as the Nordcapp sea kayak I once used. Loading and unloading, especially for portages, made it a real pain in the rear. We have since figured out the object is to stay upright, keep most of the water out with a good cover, traveling when conditions allow and know how to get back in the boat if you do capsize.
Have your friends stop by the Flamingo visitor center if they are in the area and ask for the Channel Marking volunteers David and Sarah

Will do, thanks. Also need to install deck lines for that "oops" time. Just wondered about the amount of water inside the boat when that does happen? What do others do? Thanks, tried reading so many posts but my head is spinning, g night.

Looks like the forward anchor points on the back band will work just right unless you are very short. I have run the strap over the gunnel and clipped to a stainless strap under the gunnel. Load gets placed over a larger area and pulls the hull in slightly like a thwart, stiffening the hull and giving the bottom better shape
If you install a strap eye anywhere consider mounting another on the opposite side of the hull as a back up plate. You get double duty out of the holes drilled. Consider stainless rather than the nylon ones so available at plastic boat stores. If I mount an eye I install it as if I will lift the entire the boat or haul it over something or anchor a cover/sail.

RH, thanks for sharing, I heard that idea from a few people. I'm going to try and look at other boats online to see how they set up their bungee straps on the bow and stern and look to do that 2 for 1 idea. Will need longer rivets. Also have to drill that eye pad off of my garbage pail, that was where I was testing out the rivet gun. I wonder what the squirrels are thinking when they see it?

Consider nyloc nuts and Phillips screws in stainless. Rivets will corrode adjacent to the stainless strap eyes and really provide little holding power when hauled upon. After tightening, notch the exposed threads on the bolt With a hacksaw and break off with vise grips. File down flush with nyloc so you don't rip your flesh.

Coldfeet,

If you keep making too many holes in that Monarch I'm going to have to suspend your power tool privileges.

I'm glad that back band will work well for you.

Consider nyloc nuts and Phillips screws in stainless. After tightening, notch the exposed threads on the bolt With a hacksaw and break off with vise grips. File down flush with nyloc so you don't rip your flesh.

Or just buy the right length SS machines screws for the purpose and there won’t be anything protruding from the Nylock. In some cases where I want the smoothest underdeck surface I use a washer, lock washer and shallow cap nut with a proper length machine stainless machine screw.

No Title

To keep this thread alive, I'm posting a few pics of interest. Since we have discussed the trilogy of Verlen Kruger's designs, the Loon, Monarch, and Sea Wind, here are some pics. The Loon and Monarch now have Sea Wind inspired rudders and rudder tracks, and Superior Canoes seat hangars and seats.

Attachments

• photo1787.JPG
    photo1787.JPG
    237.1 KB · Views: 3
  • photo1788.JPG
    photo1788.JPG
    233.6 KB · Views: 3
  • photo1789.JPG
    photo1789.JPG
    305.1 KB · Views: 3
Good timing Joe, I just picked up my cable wires that were going to get fixed with the original ends on them but they don't have the right machine to change it. I ended up picking up SS screws, washers and locking nuts to attach them to the top of the rudder. Still cold here so I haven't attached the right foot peg yet. I was thinking about installing deck lines and was looking at your pics for ideas. Is it possible you could take a few more and post them, bow and stern would be appreciated.

Mike M, I think my Sea Wind was on your Assateague trip. Any chance you could get the links on the paddling.net trip report working again? http://www.paddling.net/places/showReport.html?1053 I really need to add a Clipper Sea1 to my fleet.

The photos are gone with Community Webshots.

The Sea 1 is, to my eye, the most attractive of those decked boats in appearance, and maybe the fastest by a smidge. I wish I had kept that boat, but I couldn’t afford it at the time and a friend of mine in New England picked it up (and later sold it to a friend of his in the NE). I would not make that same decision today.

I think they are a rare bird on the east coast.

No Title

Rocky, you have some interesting observations from your long experience with the Krugers. I'm scratching my head reading about the need to put support under the seat. I've never witnessed any sort of oil-canning or hull structural problems on any of the dozen or so boats I've owned and/or paddled. I was aware of one Loon that did have a problem, and I believe Scott Smith put carbon reinforcement in the bottom of the hull. A friend of a friend now owns that boat...I think Mike might have some experience with the same boat? It is a small world. I've got a picture of it somewhere. But I guess I don't think Coldfeet has anything to worry about with his Monarch. I would like to meet up with you sometime...I paddled through Flamingo in an Everglades Challenge race in 2013 and might do it again in March 2016.

Speaking of the EC, I expect to do it in my almost new Clipper Sea 1. I had to buy one so I could complete my fleet and develop my own opinion of it! Pretty excited...it is sitting in a friend's barn 700 miles away.

Attachments

• photo2519.jpg
    photo2519.jpg
    214.9 KB · Views: 1
I'm scratching my head reading about the need to put support under the seat. I've never witnessed any sort of oil-canning or hull structural problems on any of the dozen or so boats I've owned and/or paddled. I was aware of one Loon that did have a problem, and I believe Scott Smith put carbon reinforcement in the bottom of the hull. A friend of a friend now owns that boat...I think Mike might have some experience with the same boat? It is a small world. I've got a picture of it somewhere.

Speaking of the EC, I expect to do it in my almost new Clipper Sea 1. I had to buy one so I could complete my fleet and develop my own opinion of it! Pretty excited...it is sitting in a friend's barn 700 miles away.

I know some of the early MRC Monarchs had insufficiently thick seat supports, which could potentially bow outwards. MRC went to a much thicker material in later Monarchs.

I may very well have had that carbon Loon, borrowed from BMO, for review. It oil canned slightly.

In the small world category I wonder if perhaps the Sea-1 you are purchasing is also I boat that came through my shop. There aren’t many Sea-1’s on the east coast. I couldn’t afford to pro-deal that boat from Clipper and arranged a deal for a friend in New England, who eventually sold it to a friend of his. It was identical to the Sea-1 in your photo.

BTW – Do you know if Superior Canoe is still in business? The website seems to have disappeared.

Hi guys, just came back from our first cruise to the Bahamas! Told the wife I'd like to paddle in the Everglades and as we ere flying over the coats I'm sure I spotted those islands in Maryland. Didn't get to paddle in the Bahamas but had a lovely time just chilling out. Hope to get up to the ADK to see the WCHA boats next weekend. Be well.

Mike, yes I noticed some Monarchs have "skinny" kevlar seat hangars, mine are a much thicker honeycomb covered in Kevlar. They are certainly very stiff. But Kruger and Superior also have thin kevlar seat hangars and they are very stiff. Of course, they are laid up by hand by the masters, who certainly know what they are doing. To further my questioning of issues related to the bottom of the boats flexing, especially pulling the gunnels in and improving the shape of the boat...well that just isn't going to happen with my Monarch, Loon, or Sea Wind. Those boats are very stout and stiff in the hull. Of course, the decks are more flexible, especially on the Loon. But you aren't going to "pull in" the gunnels on any of those boats and change hull shape. I know that is a common practice on open canoes....but not these ones.

My Sea1 is the common natural kevlar color on the hull and red on top...a very very common color scheme. It was actually built less than a year ago and delivered to Minnesota.

I spoke extensively with Scott Smith of Superior recently. He is at a crossroads in his business. He has several boats to complete, orders to fill, and "factory seconds" to refinish. But he needs to get a new shop and take it to the next level. I hope he succeeds. Despite lots of negative talk about the Expedition being a copy of the Sea Wind, the fact is, his canoe is similar to the Sea Wind but it is a completely different boat. It is as different from a Sea Wind as a Bell Magic is from a Wenonah Advantage. Every canoe is similar to every other canoe. Sorry, I have to get off my high horse and stop lecturing!

You can see I'm into decked expedition canoes. I want them all. I wish I had kept a deep hulled Sea Wind I bought from Mick, just so I had it. I wish I had an Expedition, even though I certainly don't need an even larger canoe than a Sea Wind, but still. I want to see Scott and Mark P at Kruger succeed and keep building their boats!!

By the way, to other like minded folks, I do know of a 90's model Kevlar Loon for sale for $3000, and a late model (#260-something) great condition Sea Wind for $5100 or so. That latter is a STEAL when new ones are way over $7500 similarly equipped. The Loons are getting harder to find... Also, Scott has Mick's Expedition that needs a makeover and when finished, will be good as new and for sale for $3500. Interested parties may contact me at J o_ewildl_ife at yahoo dot com (remove underscores, just trying to prevent spam). I'd like to help my buddies sell these canoes and get them to appreciative owners!

Joe

Hi guys, just came back from our first cruise to the Bahamas! Told the wife I'd like to paddle in the Everglades and as we ere flying over the coats I'm sure I spotted those islands in Maryland. Didn't get to paddle in the Bahamas but had a lovely time just chilling out. Hope to get up to the ADK to see the WCHA boats next weekend. Be well.
The WCHA boats will be gone Sunday.. Most load up by Saturday afternoon late. Its basically a during week event. Friday night is the paddle by. Auction Saturday Instruction and workshops Wed through Sat Morning.

Just saw someone fall out of a boat Canadian style.. Didnt know that was possible. Off to look at my dream Robertson. Norumbega chapter did it well and its just like mine in hull shape. Not in seat material or mast step.
So I wonder the model.. more later when I post a pic

The WCHA boats will be gone Sunday.. Most load up by Saturday afternoon late. Its basically a during week event. Friday night is the paddle by. Auction Saturday Instruction and workshops Wed through Sat Morning.

Just saw someone fall out of a boat Canadian style.. Didnt know that was possible. Off to look at my dream Robertson. Norumbega chapter did it well and its just like mine in hull shape. Not in seat material or mast step.
So I wonder the model.. more later when I post a pic

Looks like I can't get up there in time to see all of those boats, maybe somewhere else in the future. Not to sure what Canadian style paddling is but I'm pretty good at tipping over in everything! Even in a Pungo120! on a cold winter day. Drysuit always getting tested! Best to all. If my backup plans work out I will try to visit Fox paddles this weekend and check out their stuff. No ZRE for me for now, maybe a 260cm kayak paddle and a bent shaft single blade.

Back