• Happy "Killer Rabbit" Attacks President Carter in His Paddle Boat (1979)! 🚣🏼‍♂️🐇

Mad River Monarch

Hi guys, it's a small world isn't it. Give me some time to figure things out and I promise to keep this boat in the best shape that I can. Hopefully one day I can meet up with you folks and go on an adventure. But I first need to rebuild some storage space in my garage. Right now it's laying on top of my MR canoe. Looks like Mike's are sitting upright on saw horses with foam blocks? I can't do that because I will lose space in my garage. Will keep in touch.

PS, are there any type of gatherings that take place with tripping boats like this?

But I first need to rebuild some storage space in my garage. Right now it's laying on top of my MR canoe. Looks like Mike's are sitting upright on saw horses with foam blocks? I can't do that because I will lose space in my garage.

PS, are there any type of gatherings that take place with tripping boats like this?

I’m sure if you Google something like “wall rack canoe storage” you will find a variety of solutions to space saving boat storage, from simple horizontal braces to complex pulley systems.

I have a three tiered wall rack built from oversized shelving brackets screwed into the wall studs. You can see the three wall racked boats (Independence, Vagabond, Optima) in the background of this photo.

Those large shelving brackets are plenty sturdy, enough to hang extension cords from the ends and store thwarts, yokes, seats and other canoe brightwork inside the brace diagonals.

I use the sawhorses and foam blocks mostly for working on boats. BTW, if you need to work inside the Monarch the most convenient way is to put it on a set of sawhorses sufficiently tall enough to allow you to get your head and arms inside and face your work.

The foam blocks are just chunks of ethafoam with an angled notch that slips onto the sawhorse crossbar. On some rebuilds, especially with decked boats, the hull essentially rotates, right side up, on its side, upside down, so that the areas I am working on are always at a comfortable height and position to allow access, and the ethafoam blocks help stabilize the hull so it isn’t wobbling back and forth or creeping towards the edge of the sawhorse.

I have no idea about gatherings of decked canoes gatherings. They are certainly popular with Watertribe folks and I’m sure are well represented at their challenges.

I learned a ton of info from this thread so far. Living on Long Island like Coldfeet I can see how decked canoes make sense when out in Long Island Sound or the Great South Bay. I'm intrigued by the sails.

Thank you, everyone, for all the good information.

I learned a ton of info from this thread so far. Living on Long Island like Coldfeet I can see how decked canoes make sense when out in Long Island Sound or the Great South Bay. I'm intrigued by the sails.

Hanz, if you are enjoying this and interested in decked canoes, I’ll blather.

The whole decked tripping boat thing is fascinating to me, from John MacGregor in a Rob Roy to present day evolution of decked expedition tripping canoes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_MacGregor_(sportsman)

The Rob Roy of MacGregor fame is/was still made by a couple of manufacturers in modern materials, including the late Bell. Nice little boat that needed a better seat pan than a crude piece of foam. And a rudder for sailing.

Monarchs and Loons are no longer made and are rare as hen’s teeth, but they do pop up occasionally. A used Loon could be anything from 30 year old glass and woven roving to later iterations of the Sawyer company in carbon/kevlar. Still, the Loon is a sought after boat in the Kruger boat design genealogy (Loon, Monarch, Sea Wind).

The Monarch was always kevlar and typically goes for $1500 if the seller is aware, and at that cost folks are willing pay to have them shipped crosscountry. I’ve seen more used Monarchs than Loons; maybe due to their relative production numbers or perhaps where I live.

Scotsman-priced used Sea Winds do not exist. The Sea Wind (and other Krugers) are the gold standard. The $8000 retail for a new boat gold standard.

http://www.krugercanoes.com/Products.html

Superior Canoe’s Expedition makes (made?) an enlarged Sea Wind clone at close to half the cost. I don’t know if Superior exists anymore.

The only other comparable boat still manufactured is the Clipper Sea-1

http://www.clippercanoes.com/sea-1/

That is a fantastic boat. heck, it looks fast sitting still. And it is. The long peaked deck and tapering cockpit are pure form and function; the tapered peak sheds bow waves nicely and the extended tongue allows arm access to gear up in the bow. $3500 new, rarely seen west of the Mississippi.

What is more common for sale used/cheap are composite tandem decked hulls from the 70’s and 80’s, like the Sockeye, Vagabond and Optima, that can be converted to nice solo trippers and sailers. Those were often billed as “European-style tandem touring canoes” (kayaks) , and if you look at the overall shape, cockpit size, decks and rudder the lineage of today’s decked expedition canoes is apparent.

In that old-school style the Bavaria Boote company still makes the Missouri II, which I believe has been around unchanged for 30 years. Heavy, and many Euros new. But occasionally cheap used. See “heavy”.

http://www.sea-sports.de/bavaria-ka...i5qudc07ttc37kf6po34ubh819femcqs32rmn0upl1em1

Phoenix (Poke Boat) still makes the Vagabond. Their retail price is insanely high, high enough that the original owners remember what they paid. The stock tandem seats in the Vagabond – also unchanged for 30 years – are beyond Marquis de Sade uncomfortable.

http://www.pokeboat.com/Vagabond.htm

Not to jinx my own ongoing search, but keep an eye out for something like those. Converting them from tandem to a solo decked canoe (single raised seat) is not overly difficult. If they come with a functional rudder and pedals you are $300 ahead in the conversion.

One of my Holy Grail conversions would be to find a Wilderness Systems Pamlico 145T Pro.

http://playak.com/article.php?sid=2952

That boat was actually just over 15 feet long, and at 56lbs in kevlar that tandem would lose close to 20lbs of excess seats and pedals. That would be an awesome lightweight pocket tripper or day boat with a sail.

Lastly – and don’t laugh – The older Pamlico 145T in poly converts to a decent* small tripper or sailing dayboat when soloized with a slightly single seat. We have a soloized P145 that remains my wife’s favorite boat for lake and coastal bay paddling and sailing. The shorter waterline means she isn’t pushing 17 feet of hull around, and soloizing it reduces the weight considerably, as it loses an excess seat, foot pedals and a center keelson tube. Those P145’s are common on Craigslist, sometimes cheaper that the cost of the rudder and two sets foot controls/pedals.

*OK, not just decent. That is damning with faint praise, and expounding the pleasures of a poly rec kayak is somehow embarrassing, but the soloized P145 makes a really nice little boat.

It paddles well, sails well, responds nicely to the rudder and is dang near indestructible. Two friends in the paddlesport industry kept telling me that the P145 was the best paddling plastic rec kayak on the market to make into a solo and, when I found one cheap, they were right.

It has nimble rocker and is very responsive to solo paddle strokes or rudder action.

Removing the tandem excess from a Pamlico is largely a mechanical process (and leaves you with an excess seat and foot braces…to re-use on another boat). Any excess hardware holes (all are above the waterline) are easily plugged with a F/flex patch, so the conversion is faster and far easier than cutting glassed-in seats and hardware off on a composite hull.

Seriously. Pamlico 145T. Cheap used, easily convertible (pick your own seat height, and even retain the fore and aft adjustability of the seat pan), sails well and holds a decent amount of gear.

And an even more embarrassing confession – We own a soloized Pamlico 160T.

It is a pig to lift and transport, and the length/waterline ratio sucks speedwise compared to our other decked boats, but it will haul a huge amount of gear and sails very comfortably.

I couldn’t pass on it at the can’t-buy-a-rudder-for-that cost, even anticipating the eventual soloized weight. But it is a dang comfortable big-boy boat, and a stable loaner for folks who want to try sailing, even with the seat raised to single blade range.

That all I know about them there decked tripping boats that aren’t quite canoes and aren’t quite kayaks.

Until I find some other oddity to retrofit,

Holy cow Mike! Very impressive. I wish my wife was so understanding, and your garage looks bigger than my house! Thanks for all of that info, you truly see things not what they are but what they can become. I seem to do that also being in the teaching business, it just takes quit a few more years to see the results. Be well, I'm off tomorrow for some hiking/camping here near the Hudson River (Harriman State Park) I'll keep an eye on the passing boats looking for those stripped rudders! Be well.

You could likely eat off the floor in that shop. It is wayyyy too neat and tiday.

I do prefer working in a clean shop, to the point that I will stop mid-way through the day, put all of the tools away properly, blow off the benches and shop floor and start fresh. I occasionally have a shop partner visiting and, unless it is a two man job, I typically just hand them the tools or materials needed for the next step and put away what they have finished with.

your garage looks bigger than my house!.I'll keep an eye on the passing boats looking for those stripped rudders! Be well.

It is the biggest unobstructed room in the house, and as such we have hosted Thanksgiving dinners for 30+ people in the shop (hence the 1000 white Christmas lights on the ceiling). I designed it so that I was able to work on two boats side-by-side, and if need be will comfortably accommodate a 26’ long hull with room to work.

Some of the design features were more lucky happenstance than design forethought. My Louie Depalma window in the background of the photo above is an interior window between my office and the shop. It is there only because I had a window leftover during renovations. I have an exterior window in my office and several windows in the shop. Whadda ya know, if I open my office window and the interior window a bit and run an exhaust fan in a shop window I have one-way fresh air flow through my office.

Quite handy when working with odoriferous or hazardous materials.

Thank you for the education, Mike. I really appreciate it.

I know I saw a Vagabond for sale this past summer on craigslist. Being a bit of a craigslist addict myself, I'll let you know if I see something interesting for sale.

Thanks again for opening my eyes and giving my brain much to chew on.

(There is a reason the rudder cables are crossed on some of my boats)

That was bait, but no one asked.

The OEM rudder on the Sockeye was a joke, plastic rudder, pinion and grudgeons (I may be making some of those words up), and the rudder only adjustable by getting in and out of the boat and fiddling with a wingnut. Beyond crude.

I put a Feathercraft rudder and Werner pedals on it. Or we did; friend Joel is my rudderman, and since he lives with his feet on rudder pedals, I usually listen to him. But with the new rudder in place the control cables, if crossed under the stern deck, ran in precisely straight lines to the foot pedals. Since it seemed meant to be I insisted.

The crossed rudder cables (push left to turn right, and vise versa) are counterintuitive at first, but are excellent in the Sockeye for sailing purposes.

Hard to explain. Sit on the floor in your imaginary boat with your feet on the rudder pedals, sailing in a broad reach with the wind off your right shoulder. You want to rudder the hull to the right by pushing one leg towards the bow. But at the same time you want to be hiked over a bit to the right to offset the wind in the sail, with some knee weight pressing higher on the cockpit edge.

Only possible with crossed rudder cables.

It is counterintuitive at first, or if you switch boats between crossed and uncrossed cables, but seems a boon to sailing with rudder pedals.

The result of crossed cables - push left to turn right - seem natural to me. Don't know why. I love the looks of these refitted boats. They look like some kinda kayak- sailing- tripping craft. Watching Joel sail up the estuary under a light breeze was captivating. I can't imagine a better suited craft for coastal exploring. Thanks Mike.

Last edited:
I love the looks of these refitted boats. They look like some kinda kayak- sailing- tripping craft. Watching Joel sail up the estuary under a light breeze was captivating. I can't imagine a better suited craft for coastal exploring. Thanks Mike.

OK, they are some kinda kayak-sailing-tripping craft and calling them a canoe, even the Monarch or a Sea Wind, is kind of a stretch. But all of them have raised seats and most of them single blade well with a bent shaft.

Since I use a double 90% of the time, they are essentially kayaks. Giant solo rec kayaks. Who cares, they work.

The single blade 10% is often when I have a sail up and want the comfort of a stick in hand to brace or augment the rudder. Those kinda kayakee decked boats sail very well and in lighter winds, if you want to fly, just power stroke on the off wind side, let the rudder do the correction and combine sail and paddle power.

That is exhilarating, and even though I prefer to let the wind and my toes do the work while I daydream, read the map and compass, do “housework” in the cockpit and laze my way onward, I occasionally feel an urge to speed.

The result of crossed cables - push left to turn right - seem natural to me.

You are in a small minority, especially among anyone who has ever used a standard rudder before. Are you a lefty who was forced to do everything righty? This could be your revenge on those dang Nuns from grade school.

I didn't mean any offence to canoe vs kayak crowds, just trying to fit a strange shape into a square hole. Some things don't need to fit, and so I guess I don't need to categorize these things. I was just trying to find the right moniker. Maybe you should make one up Mike. Seeing as you paddle so many of them, it only seems fair you have first dibs. But whatever ya call them, I think they're cool. Oh! I just thought of a couple. A kailboat. Or a sail- yak. You know what, I'd better leave the clever stuff to you.
I sat in the stern of an old 16 ' cedar outboard fitted with a cranky 20 horse Johnson on some summer holidays as a youth. I bounced the big brass stem band off too many docks for my own good, but that loaner boat was the most solid and indestructible my uncle would trust me with. Eventually I learned to smoothly swing alongside a dock with no bumps and grinds. That may be where I also got in the habit of pushing the motor right, to turn left. Maybe. By the way, did you hear the one about a nun who gets to the pearly gates and...no. This might not be the time and place for that.

I didn't mean any offence to canoe vs kayak crowds, just trying to fit a strange shape into a square hole. Some things don't need to fit, and so I guess I don't need to categorize these things. I was just trying to find the right moniker. Maybe you should make one up Mike. Seeing as you paddle so many of them, it only seems fair you have first dibs. But whatever ya call them, I think they're cool. .

I really don’t know what to call them, but I expect if I told someone in a Sea Wind that I liked their giant rec kayak they might take offense. I tend to refer to them as decked expedition canoes, but whatever they are I Iike ‘em too.

Oh! I just thought of a couple. A kailboat. Or a sail- yak. You know what, I'd better leave the clever stuff to you.

Maybe a Canak. Oh, wait, that’s already taken. I missed listing one of the currently available offerings in similar design. The Wenonah Canak.

http://www.wenonah.com/Canoes.aspx?id=116

Nice boat. It too needs a rudder for sailing, and for my purposes needs more room behind the seat to store gear accessibly while paddling.

Thank you for the education, Mike. I really appreciate it.

I know I saw a Vagabond for sale this past summer on craigslist. Being a bit of a craigslist addict myself, I'll let you know if I see something interesting for sale.

I am always looking for odd-duck tandem decked hulls to soloize and play with, and a couple of friends have first dibs on anything I find. But I’m hoping my winter shop project will be some 14 to 15 foot lightweight (30-40 lbs) composite open canoe. In my dreams that is a kevlar hull on which the owner has rotted off the wood gunwales, priced “Get it outa here” dirt cheap.

I want the Monarch on the truck when I travel, but I’d also like to carry a smaller, lightweight open canoe, for those times and places where I just want to drop a boat in some pretty water and paddle around for a couple of hours.

That canoe is likely to be left (locked) atop the racks while I’m off tripping in the Monarch, so it would still be comforting to have little money tied up in it when I am away for extended periods of time.

Even if the canoe was in good condition I’d strip it and rebuild/outfit it to my desires anyway, so I might as well start with an empty hull that needs all new brightwork.

If you see one of those, lemme know. Maybe keep it on the quiet.

Mike, my Monarch had the same rudder as yours. Believe me, a real Kruger style rudder will make the Monarch turn much better. It is a combination of the shape of the rudder blade, the distance between cable attachment points, and stiffer construction (compared to the bent long arms of the Monarch rudder, where the cables attach). Good stuff in this thread. I treasure these canoes!

No Title

Holy Smokes - you guys are a great find. Just came across your forum and I'm glad to see so many Kruger fans. That's pretty much all we paddle these days. We have Loons, Monarchs and a deep dish Sea Wind built with Verlen's hands. My wife has one of Verlen's spare's. He almost had to put it into service after his capsize and boat loss off the coast of Washington.
Interesting rudder thoughts. Foot braces and separate rudder controls are the ticket - controls need to be adjusted forward of the foot brace to lessen the load on the cables and the rudder itself, controlling the rudder with toe tips.
Catamaran tubes can connect any Kruger boat to any other boat - Loon Monarch or SeaWind. They are the ultimate safety device when paddling open water or big crossings. It has also saved several marriages as it allows spouses with differing skills to spend the day together safely, perhaps while one makes sandwiches
Older boats need a throwable cushion or foam wall beneath the seat to hold the floor down as the boat ages. Sailing can frequently overload the floor and cause it to oil can leading to a weaker floor. The frame beneath the seat will eventually break and the throwable allows you to continue with comfort
Have had experience glassing seams on Loons between hull and deck and have installed bulkheads(later removed)

It's a partially decked touring canoe whose designer felt should be paddled with a single paddle (you stay drier). Sailing can be a blast - that's why we carry umbrellas - easily deployed and they keep you dry as well.
Carry some Hobie kayak rudder braid as spare rudder cable. Cables break usually just ahead of the rudder fitting or between the deck exit and the rudder and the braid can be pieced in or entirely replace the cable.
Verlen was a great guy and a friend - thanks for keeping his passion for paddling alive. Join me and my wife Sarah in the Everglades or up on Isle Royale and keep up the conversation

Attachments

• photo1255.jpg
    photo1255.jpg
    511.1 KB · Views: 1
Had the bent rudder hammered out, straightened and attached it. Cleaned and painted the metal bars on the seat and glued some mini cell onto it. Made it a touch to short. Ordered a backband and checking out new footpegs. I saw Wenonah's and the metal tracks look just like the one I have on the Monarch. But I think I'm going to get the plastic Harmony pegs. Will do things slowly. I called Mark in Michigan, nice guy to talk to. Wish I was closer to stop by and show him the boat. He gave me a quote on replacing the rudder and redoing the seat and the side plates where it slides on. Good idea about something under the seat if I read that correctly, thanks RH.

Ordered a lot of "goodies" today from Top Kayaker and will begin a few simple projects. Even though I said simple that usually means 2-3 trips to Home Depot. Need to play around with a Rivet gun first. My Harmony Keeper foot braces came in the mail today, just need to straighten one of the tracks for it to slide easily. Will keep you posted.

Rocky Headlands our club Long Island Paddlers is setting up a trip to the Everglades I believe this Feb! Ahhh! I can't go but one day I hope to. I thought about having bulkheads installed. Sounds like you had them placed in and then taken out? Why? Also wondered about creating more flotation in the boat. My foam has been eaten away after sitting outside for many years. Suggestions? Float bags, dry bags on trips, pool noodles, also read about the expanding foam that you pour in. Thank.

Back