• Happy Incorporation of Hudson's Bay Co. (1670) 🍁🦫🪓

Mad River Monarch

Regarding the portaging and balance of the hull....I've carried my Monarch, Sea Wind, and Loon for 100's of miles between them on my trips to BWCA and Quetico. I find a slightly stern heavy balance is perfect. Perfect is when I can hold the bow down with one finger, or not have to hold it down at all. Bow heavy sucks SO bad, you never want it to happen. Makes for a grueling portage. I find the best way to modify the balance is to put your pfd or some other item in the bow or stern, or on bow or stern deck lines. When I put Superior built hangars and seat in my Loon, I purposely installed the seat a bit forward because I always have most of my weight behind me in the boat. It was so stern heavy, I figured it was relegated to racing use only, never to see BWCA or Quetico. Then I discovered that I can put my tackle box (granite gear thwart bag) under the bow deck rigging and voila! PERFECT balance. And the fact that my Loon weighs about 10 pounds less than the Sea Wind or Monarch make it very nice to portage. The Loon has less weight capacity and is slightly less seaworthy than the Sea Wind or Monarch, but is still more than enough boat for me in BWCA/Quetico. In fact, it may be my favorite of the three. The Clipper Sea 1, which does NOT have the awesome Kruger/Superior expedition seat that flips over to become a portage yoke, will probably never see BWCA/Quetico. I'm just not bringing a separate portage yoke and messing with bolts/nuts at every portage to install it.

Rudder tangled with a fence; tore apart two rivets.. Off to buy a permanent in truck rivet gun. Came back found a drill to remove the bent rivets. Rivet gun jammed first rivet, which won't come out. Hardware store some 50 miles away ( this is Old Florida not Condo Florida).. Repairs suspended.

But I think the rivet holes need epoxying.. The epoxy is at home .so we might just flail away on the Gulf with a rudderless Monarch.. which wants to spin very badly empty and in the wind with the tides . Single bent shaft blading not so fun when you have to J constantly and that finger whacking double is evil

Ohhh, that just sucks! If the Monarch is anything like my Optima it's nothing like spinning a dime without the rudder. Can't even imagine trying to single blade it. Yeah, there's gonna be some bruised fingers is my guess. Good luck on the repairs!

Ohhh, that just sucks! If the Monarch is anything like my Optima it's nothing like spinning a dime without the rudder. Can't even imagine trying to single blade it. Yeah, there's gonna be some bruised fingers is my guess. Good luck on the repairs!

worked ok.. most of the rudder not in the water but we put a nail through one of the fitting holes. I've had a lot of trouble keeping my boats with me in Florida. One guy left a note with a phone number on the windshield pleading with me to sell the Monarch. while at a motel. Another guy pulled up in a parking lot in lust after a Curtis Nomad.. he came to a screeching halt when he saw ours.

Been single blading now for two hundred miles this month..!! Of course now there is some shop work to do at arrival home.

Rudder tangled with a fence; tore apart two rivets.. Off to buy a permanent in truck rivet gun. Came back found a drill to remove the bent rivets. Rivet gun jammed first rivet, which won't come out. Hardware store some 50 miles away ( this is Old Florida not Condo Florida).. Repairs suspended.

But I think the rivet holes need epoxying.. The epoxy is at home

The design of the Monarch rudder control arms is problematic. I have hooked one of those stainless steel arms where the cables attach trying to slip through the narrow S-turn opening of an old impoundment gate. Since the rudder is 7 feet behind the seat it is kinda hard to see what’s going on back there without a rearview mirror, and even harder to untangle things once hooked.

That is one design area where Feathercraft type rudder housing would be advantageous. The housing on a Feathercraft rudder is a solid piece of /_\ metal and less likely than the Monarch’s tubular “wings” to hook on something.

The Monarch’s Kruger style rudder can also be a pain when it is retracted. Since it does not flip over 270 degrees and rest on the back deck, but instead hang out 180 degrees / behind the stern, it is sometimes in unwanted play, more wind affected and prone to getting smacked by waves or tangling in things behind the boat, including branches and brush (or even tree trunks when backing up into forested campsites).

I did manage to drop my Monarch off the roof racks. Well, a 30 mph wind blew it off the racks before I could get a rope around it. One side of the stern hit first, but all it did was bust a chip of gelcoat off the stem and bend one of the control arms, which I managed to bend (mostly) back. That fall would probably have destroyed a Feathercraft housing as far as field repairs go.

The Kruger design rudder housing, simpler in rudder retraction mechanism than the continuous cord and pulley wheel than a modern Feathercraft rudder, is easier to field repair, but I don’t think that advantage outweighs the value of a rudder design that retracts 270 degrees to lay horizontal on the back deck, where it is less likely to get damaged in the first place.

I noticed a few years ago when Jim Henry sold his personal Monarch that he had installed a Feathercraft rudder. If I ever needed to make major repairs to the rudder on my Monarch I’d have to consider replacing it entirely with a Feathercraft and tandem blade.

Mike, even though I think it blasphemy for you to bash the Kruger style rudders, I do have exactly the Feathercraft rudder with tandem K-2 blade on it, on the Clipper Sea 1. :) I personally find the Kruger design rudders just fine, and perfect in most accounts. The factory Monarch rudder, not so much. But the Feathercraft is a nice unit, with a pull up/pull down feature being nice, and if you hit something the bungies in the up/down haul lines will allow it to bounce over. It might just be the best of both worlds. I'm about the do the Everglades Challenge in the Clipper Sea 1....I've waxed poetically about the merits of this boat (maybe on Facebook ?). I still love my Kruger designs, but it is awesome to also have the Canadian take on the ultimate expedition canoe. Wish me luck on the race. Here's my SPOT page. Starts March 5. http://share.findmespot.com/shared/faces/viewspots.jsp?glId=0e8fAjMVqG5Orz2aLjWmeBhqJlQKrK0fP

Mike, even though I think it blasphemy for you to bash the Kruger style rudders, I do have exactly the Feathercraft rudder with tandem K-2 blade on it, on the Clipper Sea 1. :) I personally find the Kruger design rudders just fine, and perfect in most accounts. The factory Monarch rudder, not so much. But the Feathercraft is a nice unit, with a pull up/pull down feature being nice, and if you hit something the bungies in the up/down haul lines will allow it to bounce over. It might just be the best of both worlds. I'm about the do the Everglades Challenge in the Clipper Sea 1....I've waxed poetically about the merits of this boat (maybe on Facebook ?). I still love my Kruger designs, but it is awesome to also have the Canadian take on the ultimate expedition canoe. Wish me luck on the race. Here's my SPOT page. Starts March 5. http://share.findmespot.com/shared/faces/viewspots.jsp?glId=0e8fAjMVqG5Orz2aLjWmeBhqJlQKrK0fP

I am a blasphemer from way back.

The Monarch rudder works well for the most part, and the simplicity and field repairability appeal to me. The design is DIY simple enough that I have adapted it to the 70’s Hyperform Optima and Klepper Kamerad, and in similar fashion to open canoe rudders.

But if I could build my own housings with a fully retractable rudder I would go that route in a heartbeat.

We have a couple of funky decked boats with Feathercraft type rudder designs, and while I haven’t dropped one off the truck, or had to field repair one after damage, I know I prefer that style rudder that rests out of the way on the back deck.

Thanks, March 5[SUP]th[/SUP]. I’ll be watching your SPOT.

I’m not a Facebookie. I’ll look on the WaterTribe site (?) for race updates. In years past there have been some interesting boat designs and peculiar stories from the Florida races.

Best of luck. Make Clipper proud.

I'm about the do the Everglades Challenge in the Clipper Sea 1....I've waxed poetically about the merits of this boat (maybe on Facebook ?). Wish me luck on the race. Here's my SPOT page. Starts March 5. http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...meBhqJlQKrK0fP

Has anyone been following the Everglades Challenge or Joe’s SPOT track.

The first two paddlers in his class have finished.

I have heard that the winds were especially challenging, and the bug population very high.

Any news?

Last edited:
Joe is coming up on Whitewater Bay and checkpoint 3 in Flamingo.

Joe paddled through the night and it looks like he hit ccheckpoint 3 in Flamingo at 3am

Last edited:
After a morning layover in Flamingo, probably waiting for favorable tides, Joe is back at it, heading across Florida Bay for the finish in Key Largo.

http://share.findmespot.com/shared/faces/viewspots.jsp?glId=0e8fAjMVqG5Orz2aLjWmeBhqJlQKrK0fP

The winds are against him, ESE at 20 but decreasing. The Watertribe site notes the following about Florida Bay:

Tide is always a factor in a small boat. The tide can be even more difficult here because there are so many factors that enter into it. Fresh water flow from the glades, Atlantic flow, Gulf flow, wind, pressure, channels. The area is very shallow.

If you have never checked out the Watertribe races or website it is worth a look. There are some amazing boats and outfitting.

The Watertribe forum is worth a look. This post on “Busted rudder pins” has before and after photos of a Hobie Adventure Island, the after being the result of a rudderless surf landing. Ouch.

http://watertribe.org/forums/topic/busted-ai-rudder-pins

Yes. Ten miles in four hours against tide and wind in Florida Bay.( not a Watertribe time!) Including hanging on to mangroves and eating lunch as I was ticked about stopping paddling and going backwards fast.

Still tired Did not break any rudder pins from surf landings.. Do know to get out of a boat upwave of it so the rudder is washed the other direction. Otherwise it could act as a deli slicer.

We are refiberglassing the aft end of the Monarch. the holes are too wide for the rivets. Next step would be bolts.

I know I will always just watch the Watertribe races online.. No desire to do it and live in a boat for several days straight with few rest breaks

I know I will always just watch the Watertribe races online.. No desire to do it and live in a boat for several days straight with few rest breaks

Same here. But I do enjoy the various types of boats and outfitting. The Hobie Adventure Island seems a popular design.

https://www.google.com/search?q=wat...=9ujhVv3eDYSymwHQh7L4CQ#imgrc=LQ4rZ4H2i-MNfM:

I looked at the record book for the Everglades Challenge. Top finisher did it in a bit over 40 hours, which is an average of 7.5 miles per hour. Incredible.

After a morning layover in Flamingo, probably waiting for favorable tides, Joe is back at it, heading across Florida Bay for the finish in Key Largo.

http://share.findmespot.com/shared/faces/viewspots.jsp?glId=0e8fAjMVqG5Orz2aLjWmeBhqJlQKrK0fP

Or not.

Joe’s SPOT track headed out into Florida Bay this afternoon, kinda stalled and the last SPOT was on the park road north of Flamingo. I read a report of “wind gusts to 38” and found this short video taken on Florida Bay yesterday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0zvvwgWi9g

Hope everything is OK.

Or not.

Joe’s SPOT track headed out into Florida Bay this afternoon, kinda stalled and the last SPOT was on the park road north of Flamingo. I read a report of “wind gusts to 38” and found this short video taken on Florida Bay yesterday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0zvvwgWi9g

Hope everything is OK.
Me too. With a favorable tide we made 5.5. mph. But that was for two hours. To make that for a prolonged time is just awesome Sooner or later the tides will get you.

For you who haven't canoed or paddled the Everglades and Keys it can either be heaven or the most horrific paddling you have ever seen. High winds and shallow water and unpredictable tides ( heavily influenced by wind direction) can help you or stop you dead. I am concerned with Spot marking Joe on the loop road. It does not parallel the coast.

I see Joe did come down the Joe!

Mike he is at the store. Its a convenience store with the only phone around with service. SPOT 49 I am hoping he is just waiting it out.
No reporting for three hours so far.

I have great admiration for anyone paddling from Chokoloskee to Flamingo in two days 13 hours. Hecka of a job I see BeaV made Largo in 4 days 12.5 hours. Bob Volhauser paddles a Sea Wind. I have emailed him now and then. He also carried it up over the Chilkoot Pass on his circumnavigation of Alaska.. 5000 miles.

Last edited:
Mike he is at the store. Its a convenience store with the only phone around with service. SPOT 49 I am hoping he is just waiting it out.
No reporting for three hours so far.

I know Joe has a Gator Tooth awarded for a past EC300 finish and kinda doubt he would call it quits with thirtysome miles to go.

I’ll hope he’s just waiting for the next favorable tide to try again.

I know Joe has a Gator Tooth awarded for a past EC300 finish and kinda doubt he would call it quits with thirtysome miles to go.

I’ll hope he’s just waiting for the next favorable tide to try again.

It may be the wind. At thirty miles an hour you will be in place. He has the wisdom not to want to be a whirly bird. He has lots of "s'plaining" to do.. LOL!

It may be the wind. At thirty miles an hour you will be in place. He has the wisdom not to want to be a whirly bird. He has lots of "s'plaining" to do.. LOL!

I expect the turn around was due to the wind. If you enlarge his SPOT track it looks like he battled into the ESE wind for over an hour and came back in 15 minutes or less.

The wind speed and direction tonight are predicted to me much the same as for tomorrow day; I’m wondering if Joe will head out again after midnight or whenever the next favorable tides occur.

Hoping he shares some details of his race with us when he is done.

Back