• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Mad River ME for Whitewater Tripping?

@recped I’ve seen the videos of your George River and Kesagami trips. It’s pretty impressive what you’re willing and able to run in that fully loaded boat, especially in the middle of nowhere! That tight little chute on the Kesagami sticks out in my mind. Well done! 🙌

Thanks Tim for mentioning recped's videos. I looked those up and those were some impressive trips!

And thanks to recped for the photos. Those are nicely loaded canoes and I can see how the load would displace water. I have always ascribed to the use of air bags for use in whitewater, and will probably stick with my gear and bags in the canoe. My loads will not be as large as yours, nor my trips as long.

I just got some Harmony Bags today. It turns out that the 54" bag when inflated is only 48" long! At that rate of "length loss", I am going to have to put a 60" in the rear; I can then have, hopefully, at least 54" in inflated length. The 54" bag actually works well in the front with plenty of room in front of my knees for storage and bailing.

People I trip with usually have small bags in the ends, I should probably do the same when I have smaller loads......Meh!

You have good options already but a "popular" boat here is the esquif Pocket Canyon, a bit wider, bit more rocker, it has a sharper entry with upturned ends to compensate, from looking in my rear view mirror they seem to be very slow on the flats! It can certainly swallow a lot of gear and a standard 60L barrel can go sideways which can't happen in the Mohawk.

Back