• Happy "Killer Rabbit" Attacks President Carter in His Paddle Boat (1979)! 🚣🏼‍♂️🐇

Lucifer's Portage

Reaction score
Most portages I've taken have not been all that hellish, in fact some were pleasant hikes thru rolling forests and a couple under old growth canopies scented by balsam. A few rocky rooty muddy trails with swarms of blood sucking bugs have been endured, and more than a couple of those in the rain, but by and large my portages experiences have been much like the take outs and put ins, some rough some smooth, all worth the trip.
None like Lucifer's Portage. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ozLlJ53res

What have your worst portages been like and where, and how did you live to tell the tale?

I would have to say the worst portage was what I have heard called "boggy portage" in Quetico. This is between Grey Lake and an unnamed lake just northeast of Dell Lake. My wife and I encountered this on the next to last day of a two week trip. We were en route from Yum Yum Lake to Shade Lake with the ultimate goal of reaching North Bay of Basswood Lake and back to the BWCAW. We had started out that day on Kahshahpiwi Lake and had done Yum Yum portage in the late morning, which many people feel is a real SOB (including me). That had sort of set the tone for the rest of the day. The 115 rod portage from Yum Yum Lake to Grey Lake was also no cupcake. I was therefore already pretty tired and was hoping for a somewhat mellow 100 rod portage from Grey to No name, and then an 80 rod trot from No name to Shade Lake. The topo map suggested that the terrain was pretty flat over these two portages so I was hopeful that we would reach Shade Lake and be able to set up camp reasonably early in the afternoon as I was pretty well spent.

We actually thought that our target coming out of Grey Lake was Dell Lake, not realizing that we were aiming for a lake with no name which I had taken to be merely a northeasterly extension of Dell. I shot a compass bearing eastward across Grey Lake to where my maps showed the start of the portage to No name would be. After paddling across Grey Lake we indeed found what looked like a partially overgrown trail where the portage should have been. But after following this for about 20 rods it ended in an outright bog. There were dead trees in standing water with numerous fallen tree trunks and large limbs creating what looked like an impassable maze. The area around the bog was densely wooded with no trails around the bog and no path through. We thought "this can't be it" and made our way back to Grey Lake to search for another portage trail. I knew the portage had to originate somewhere along the southeastern shore of Grey Lake and spent the next hour or so paddling along it scouting every tiny little deer path that looked like it could be a portage trail but to no avail. Then suddenly a couple of guys appeared with a tandem canoe on the other side of the lake, having just emerged from the portage to Grey from Yum Yum that we had taken hours earlier. The guys loaded their boat and started paddling toward the extreme southwestern tip of Grey Lake with some determination. I had thoroughly searched that area for a portage trail earlier and found nothing, but they really looked as if they had a plan and knew what they were doing, so my wife and I jumped back in our boat and hightailed it after them. They had already disappeared into the woods before we got to the end of the lake but I thought I could guess the path that they had taken, so my wife scouted the trail while I stayed in the boat.

About 20 minutes later she emerged from the woods sobbing in a somewhat hysterical fashion and saying "Dell Lake has no water". It was a short while before I could get anything more out of her but as it turns out the trail that these guys had taken emerged from the woods into a meadow-like clearing of considerable size. She had seen the two guys portaging with their packs and tandem carrying the canoe while making their way through mud up to their ankles and she thought that was the path we were going to have to take. I had a pretty good idea by now that particular path was not leading in the direction we wanted so we got back in the boat and paddled slowly back along the shore to the northeast. There was nothing remotely resembling a portage trail apart from the path leading to the bog and concluded that had to be the portage. Indeed it was but the only way across was right through the center of the bog. This required dozens of lift overs to cross dead trees which required repeatedly unloading and reloading the packs. By the time we reached Shade Lake I was praying for a peaceful death so as not to have to hurry to find a campsite and set up camp before dark. We decided to forgo supper that night. Sadly, we had polished off the brandy the night before.

I don't recall blow downs but do recall a Scout who had slipped of a log in up to his hip.

My view on portages us that they are all eady early in the day, and all hard starting mid afternoon. Any portage after 5:00 is very hard, even 5 rods.

Started YumYum before 8:00 one day, stopped at the high spot that overlooked the meadow to the east for a snack. Didn't seem tough at all.

The portage from Side to Kash, especially in years the meadow is not floatable, can be a beast.

On a Philmont trek and ranger reffered to Philmont treks as portages from heck.

My worst carry so far has been the portage around the hulling machine rapid on the East Branch of the Penobscot river in Maine. It was muddy, root covered with quite a few blow downs to navigate. It didn't help that by 10 am that morning it was already 85 F with 107% humidity. My paddling buddy and I poor night sleep the night before and then pulled, pushed and cursed our plastic canoes along the portage. It's one of the prime reason I'm building a wood strip solo right now. So maybe this portage is just inspirational;)

Well it wasn't really rough just long but mine is a 3 and 1/2 mile mostly single carry portage into White Deer Lake in the McCormick Wilderness.

In 1993, Kathleen and I paddled 37 days, and approximately 950 km (600 miles), down the Thelon River in the Northwest Territories. The Northwest Territories’ brief profile of the Thelon River describes the portages as "arduous" and "excruciating." The most famous of these portages is around the Thelon Canyon, which McCreadie's book "Canoeing Canada's Northwest Territories" describes as being 6.5 km (4 miles) long.

Before heading north for the trip, I suggested to our canoe club members that I sort of expected to run the canyon. I had never seen it before, nor had ever met anyone who had been there. But I am always confident, at least until I arrive at the obstacle or rapid. I always hope for the best.

Thelon050 copy.jpg

But when we arrived, the truth revealed itself. We would be hitting the portage trail. And it was a trail in name only. There was not trail. Toward the end of the portage, I had to help Kathleen get to her feet beneath her heaviest pack. I estimated our portage to be approximately 5 km (3 miles).

Thelon051 copy.jpg

From my diary:

At three loads each, we traversed 25 km (15 miles) by land. We brought up the packs in stages, leap-frogging each pile spread along the canyon rim. We began portaging at 2:00 pm, and finished at 1:00 am. A 5-km un-runnable canyon swiftly imposes humility on those (who were formerly confident.)

Heads bent down beneath heavy packs, we noted two new plants: an Arctic arnica and a yellow lousewort. Heads up, returning to the trailing pile of gear, we saw a Harris' Sparrow and a Rough-legged Hawk. Soaring and circling above the canyon walls, the hawk's thin whistle admonished us for trespassing into its rodent-hunting preserve.

Beneath the packs again, heads humbly bowed to earth, we saw reminders of portaging colleagues of previous years. Campfires of those who failed, or chose not to complete their task in a single day. A broken tent peg - - a fallen and forgotten aluminum plate - - all silent but certain emblems of the true misery of the portage trail.

In the tent at 2:00 am; granola, gorp and sausage for dinner. Much too tired to prepare a hot meal. A 5-km, un-runnable canyon is a formidable challenge, and I'm relieved to be at the end of this portage trail.

I know there are several in the 5 mile range on the NFCT - roads mostly but still long. Makes the wheels or no-wheels question a challenge. I have been told by one througher that there are shuttles available for some.

Big Stone rapids gets my vote at the end of a 12 hour/30 mile day dealing with strong winds. I expected to find a campsite at the head of the trail but instead found a burned over regenerating bog with lots of blow downs and a very indistinct trail for the most part with plenty of water and muck. It probably took me 30 minutes just to find the trail. By the time I got two of my four carries done it was past 11:00pm and the only place I found to sleep was a very narrow patch of flat grass right on the shore of the lake (Bannock) I was portaging into. No room for a tent or tarp but thankfully it didn't rain.

I did the same portage on my return trip over a month later and it wasn't quite as bad because:
A: I knew what was coming
B: I planned to hit it first thing in the morning
C: My food was almost gone so I could double rather than quad carry
D: I was much stronger

Not sure how long it is but it took me 35 minutes to walk it empty at a brisk pace.

20160808_105 by Alan, on Flickr

20160808_110 by Alan, on Flickr

20160808_114 by Alan, on Flickr

20160808_090 by Alan, on Flickr

Alan

Alan,
We decided to cut south and zig-zagged through several shorter portages when we were up there, and came out due west of Charcoal Lake. Your port looks hideous! We did have a nasty one a week or so later through some dense fir, where we had to squeeze between the trees with the canoes on the way to Windy Lake.

Big Stone bypass.jpg - Click image for larger version  Name:	Big Stone bypass.jpg Views:	0 Size:	347.8 KB ID:	122119

Alan,
We decided to cut south and zig-zagged through several shorter portages when we were up there, and came out due west of Charcoal Lake. Your port looks hideous! We did have a nasty one a week or so later through some dense fir, where we had to squeeze between the trees with the canoes on the way to Windy Lake.

I've since heard that was a possible option. I hope to try it out myself one of these years. Thanks for the map!

Alan

My students helped me come up with the scale shown below after completing a particularly grueling port.
eOGFBqj.png

Based on the above portage sliding scale of Satan I have done:
Condition 1-2.
Terrain 1-3
Length 1-6
Bugs 1-5
Weather 1-4
Landing/launch 1-almost 6. Does it count 6 if I fell in?

Lowangle al--
Scarpa tele boots?? There's more to this story!

Well I guess I'm busted, there was no canoe involved in that portage. It was actually a fly in trip to the Ruth Glacier for some skiing. I had wondered if they were the only Duluth packs that ever made it up there. I guess you could say, "you can take the man out of canoe country, but you can't take canoe country out of the man"

Well I guess I'm busted, there was no canoe involved in that portage. It was actually a fly in trip to the Ruth Glacier for some skiing. I had wondered if they were the only Duluth packs that ever made it up there. I guess you could say, "you can take the man out of canoe country, but you can't take canoe country out of the man"

God's country includes more than canoe country!! I never got to the Ruth--even had "credit" to fly in about 1982, but it never happened. Gorgeous area.

I haven’t done many portages. There was a BWCA trip were I made about 30 portages, and I’ve carried about ten times in the Adirondacks, but that’s about all. I wouldn’t call any of the portages joyful, but neither were they Hellish.

for those who want to read portage ordeals, I’ve copied from myccr.com Tom McClouds description of his group’s portage on the Petite Mecatina. It took them something like six days to portage around a three-mile canyon. Below read the tale in McCloud’s words:

6 August 03. The objective of the first hike was to scout the portage route, to see the canyon and the cascades, determine if there might be sneak routes at water level, and also to determine where we will re-enter the river at the end of the canyon. So with heavy packs on, we head out. Soon we realized that this forest was extremely thick, and we made poor time. At noon we’re on top of a bluff overlooking the rapid that had stopped us yesterday. In the sun it was blisteringly hot. We did not find the anticipated caribou-moss-covered balds at the top, where the walking would be easy, nor were there the game trails to follow through the woods that we’d hoped for. In the forest you could not see the person only 50 feet in front. At 3 pm break we were nowhere near the end of the canyon and had drunk all our water. It had to be in the mid-80's. We needed water and a place to camp before dark. On the topo maps a lake was shown not far away so the coordinates were dialed into a GPS, and we headed in that direction. I’ve come to call this camp ‘Tent Lake’, which according to the GPS was 1.8 miles, as the crow flies, from our camp of the previous night. Admittedly we did not move in a straight line, but after 8 hours of some of the most difficult bushwacking I’ve ever done, it was a discouraging thought to contemplate repeating this twice more.
Up at dawn, each of us packed a light pack with some food, and extra clothes, figuring that we could not make it back here with boats in a day. It took 3+ hours to reach the boats. Then began the toughest portage I’ve ever done, pulling and shoving the canoes up hills, and sideways through the dense spruce trees. Portaging in the traditional sense, canoe overhead, is not possible here. There are many down dead trees that add to the problems. It took hours and hours, just to get boats and packs onto the boulders near the mouth of a stream on the downriver end of Granite Island Rapid, which wasn’t even a third of the total portage distance, and we were real tired. After a slim supper we put on all the clothing we had, a couple of us used deflated airbags as blankets, and curled up. It became colder. Sometime during the night the fire died, and had to be rekindled. This night took its toll.
Then we started to move up the creek. Well, kind of. With packs on we started to walk up along the creekside, but this foray did not last long. The viewpoint was expressed that this portage route was an impossibility, that the 1985 group MUST have used some other creek. The argument ran something like this “ Suppose we had no information whatsoever about this river? What would we be doing? We’d be probing on downriver until we came to something that we absolutely could not get around. We haven’t gone that far yet.” Well, I can’t argue with that, because it’s premise is correct. It might even be true. We dragged the boats down to the Mecatina and headed around the next bend. In only a few hundred yards we were at another major rapid, a long and bouldery class 4/5, which began with a ledge. If we continued to portage this rapid the canoes would have to go over boulders the size of vans and panel trucks, and the next rapid below was clearly unrunnable. Still uncertain whether we were at the head of the impassable cascades, one of us made a 3 hour scouting hike. On return he had few words: the impassable canyon was just around the bend. The river was white as far as he could see. Both canyon walls were smooth rock at a 45 degree angle descending into the water, and passage through at water level was impossible. Resigned, we retreated upriver. Back at the mouth of the creek for the second time, and not wanting to spend another night here in the open, each of us picked up his second pack and, around 2 pm, started to hike toward Tent Lake. As you would guess it was again torture from both trees and heat. A GPS position check was made every half hour. At one point we were 0.3 miles away from the tents, and a half hour later 0.5 miles away! It was getting into dusk, and we were becoming concerned. We kind of semi-ignored the GPS and went by dead-reconning, eventually reaching the lake, but at the wrong end of it, so another 45 minutes of terrible hiking by flashlight was required to find our tents. So at 9:30 we were getting the kettle boiling to make supper. It was a really beat up group.
The alarm clock didn’t sound as early as usual, and when we did gather by the fire we were not moving quickly. In talking over our situation it was clear that we had to get the boats up that creek and into the highland lakes, in order to get them close to Tent Lake, and we could not do it in one day. It was also clear that we had neither the muscle strength nor the amount of food & days needed to move all five boats. Two canoes would be abandoned. So again we packed light packs in anticipation of spending another night in the woods away from our tents and gear. The hike back to the boats went predictably slowly on yet another hot, dry day. A note was tied to a thwart of an abandoned canoe giving the date we had left and where we were headed. It was with a lump in my throat that I walked away. Losing a boat is a humiliation, a defeat. We were getting our asses kicked.
The ascent of the creek began. It’s not a big creek, only 10 cfs. There were innumerable lifts of 3-5-7-feet, up small falls and over fallen trees. The going was slow, but at least we were going, and being wet from the waist down meant that the heat was less of a problem. This little creek rivals in green-ness and lushness any stream in the Smokies. The rocks were often slippery, and we all suffered many stumbles, cracks to the knees, shins and ankles. It was perhaps 5 hours of exceedingly tough work to ascend the one mile and 500 feet gain in elevation. While the guys rigged a tarp and spread out ground cloths for a place to sleep, I tended the fire and improvised a one-pot group meal from potatoes-au- gratin, milk powder, dried green peppers and corn, plus a summer sausage. The cook always likes favorable comments but I have to believe these were influenced by fatigue and hunger.
Up at first light, 4am. It had been a quiet, dry night and was again a warm morning. Now we started the different, but equally difficult task, of finding our way. It was here that we realized the problems of using maps obtained off the internet and printed on home printers: the green ink is water soluble. Both copies have suffered water damage, though stored in plastic bags. They have become borderline readable, with the green running everywhere, but the brown contour lines stayed in place. Better than nothing. As we worked through a series of small, interlocking lakes, mostly dragging between them, there were frequent map checks. At the top of a small lake where a sphagnum swamp only inches above lake level divided us from the next creeks’ watershed, we portaged across and found a ravine with a trickle running down it. The descent was predictably slow and very difficult because of the thick underbrush and many down trees. After 3 hours we found a very small lake, dammed up by beavers, then following 100 feet of moist boulders, there was a real lake. The trickle feeding the beaver pond MUST be draining Tent Lake, so that’s where we’ll have to go to retrieve our gear. If anything, this was the most difficult push through the bush we’d done yet. Both the creek itself and the nearby forest were a tangle of fallen trees and underbrush. Another backbreaking job on top of so many others, after we were already exhausted. But the gear DID get retrieved. Reunited with all our equipment for the first time in 5 days, we loaded up, tandem now, got into the bigger lake, and immediately looked to camp. When I crawled into the tent, on this night like so many others, I was asleep instantly, and slept the sleep of the dead.
With the fire going and breakfast over, we made an effort to consolidate, lighten the loads, and get better prepared to tandem paddle. Burned were a small bottle of hand lotion, five empty film canisters, two pens and a tablet, a pair of sneakers, a full roll of canoe tickets, a shattered fishing rod, badly torn nylon pants, the lacerated Frog Tog pants and several other small things. So after this longer than usual ‘breakfast’ period, we loaded the remaining gear and headed out across this good-sized lake. There was some wildlife here, including ducks, mergansers and some little guys with a white belly, gray top, black head with white patch just behind the eye. When we found the exit flow we were rather pleased that it was a swamp creek plenty big enough to float a canoe. After following that creek for a several miles, a critical decision point was reached. If we stayed on this creek we might be descending into the Mecatina canyon too soon, where we would face unrunnable cascades. The alternative was to work up-flow, through additional lakes on the canyon rim, to get to a second creek further downstream. This option involves more miles of dragging and portaging, and keeps us up on top for at least two days with very poor maps. We don’t know which of these two creeks the 1985 group took, if either. The additional days of hard work and the additional food that would be consumed on the longer route tipped the balance. We decided to go with the flow.
Before long this little creek starts dropping precipitously over solid rock ledges, the first of them 30 feet! It’s an interesting place, scenic in it’s own way. Hard to judge our rate of progress, dragging, pushing, grunting, but we keep moving. Before long we saw nothing but sky in front of us: the lip of a 100 foot fall. This one forces a portage into the woods. As you would expect it was again an extraordinarily physically difficult task, but at least it was mostly downhill. During one of these ‘poses’ a thunderstorm struck. We huddled underneath overturned canoes for a half hour, then continued. As dusk was falling we were no where near the Mecatina, though we could now see it, occasionally through gaps in the trees, still far below, and we were at the lip of another hundred foot fall. To our left was a brushy field with few trees, and lots of caribou moss, which became home for the night. Big servings of spaghetti, with meat sauce and Parmesan made supper, and we could have gone for a seconds. Everyone craved those calories.
After a couple more hours of hard work the next morning we reached the big river, viewing both a big rapid above, and a big rapid below, but in both cases there was a boulder apron along the sides and we could pass there if necessary. Good news. Though still in a canyon, the walls were no longer so tight. We took an hour to rest, swim with a bar of soap and wash out clothes, the first hygiene we’d practiced in 6 days. Our bodies looked bad, scabbed, bruised, bug-bitten, and thin, with lower legs, ankles and feet swollen. Since we’re now 3 days behind schedule...

That’s s the end of the excerpt. There’s lots more trip report, I just copied the portage part.

I haven’t done many portages. There was a BWCA trip were I made about 30 portages, and I’ve carried about ten times in the Adirondacks, but that’s about all. I wouldn’t call any of the portages joyful, but neither were they Hellish.

for those who want to read portage ordeals, I’ve copied from myccr.com Tom McClouds description of his group’s portage on the Petite Mecatina. It took them something like six days to portage around a three-mile canyon. Below read the tale in McCloud’s words:

I think they win(?).

Alan

I definitely can’t compete with Tom McCloud.
My worst was probably the Methy back around 2009. The Clearwater was in super flood conditions that year and the Methy was flooded too. Once we climbed, or more like slithered and crawled up and out of the 5 km valley through knee deep clay mud and ruts we found ankle to knee deep water for the remaining 15km. Not quite enough to float the canoe and it made the canoe cart we brought was useless. These kind of gruelling experiences are priceless in retrospect and make for good long measuring sticks for future ordeals and I wouldn’t trade these memories for anything.

Back