• Happy Marine Mammal Rescue Day! 🐳🐬🦭🦦

Lows Lower Dam Access

Reaction score
Is anyone aware if it's feasible to access the Bog River Flow downstream of Hitchens Pond via the ADK Scenic Railway from Horseshoe Lake? It is about a 1.5 mile carry from Horseshoe Lake to the bridge over the Bog River flow.

I would like to paddle the counterclockwise route to Tupper Lake this Spring. Is there a place to leave a vehicle at the junction of the railway at Horseshoe Lake, or would I have to drop a canoe, drive over to the takeout at Tupper Lake, leave my truck, and cycle back to Horseshoe Lake in order to start? That's probably the best scenario anyway, since my vehicle would then be at my finishing point when I'm presumably tired. Much easier to stash a bicycle in the woods at the starting point, leaving my vehicle at a public place (less likely to be broken into!). Could all be moot if the water level below the Upper Dam is diminished because of the work at the Lower Dam. Thanks, Pat

Hopefully more knowledgeable people than me will chime in as it's been a couple of years since I was last up that way. But, if my memory serves me correctly, as you drive to the tracks, with Horseshoe Lake on your right, you will come to an area near a kiosk just before the tracks themselves. There is access to Horseshoe Lake on your right, parking near the kiosk and a camping spot just across the tracks; also on your right. I would think you could leave a vehicle there or lock your bike up somewhere out of sight.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

Hopefully more knowledgeable people than me will chime in as it's been a couple of years since I was last up that way. But, if my memory serves me correctly, as you drive to the tracks, with Horseshoe Lake on your right, you will come to an area near a kiosk just before the tracks themselves. There is access to Horseshoe Lake on your right, parking near the kiosk and a camping spot just across the tracks; also on your right. I would think you could leave a vehicle there or lock your bike up somewhere out of sight.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper
Thank you. Google Earth seems to show some sort of structure on the lake side of the tracks; presumably a kiosk.

Patrick, as you may know. that whole area is changed up because of the lower dam construction. I was in there this past fall. I drove over the tracks and parked near the gate blocking the road to the upper dam. The 2+ miles carry down the road was no problem. You might want to contact the DEC, but in late October, I was told work would resume and continue through the spring. From the way it sounded, it might be much longer. I hope this helps.

Thank you. I located this today from Adirondack Explorer: bog-river-access-road-closed

Here's the relevant part:

The state Department of Environmental Conservation is offering alternative access points to the Bog River. One is the Horseshoe Lake outlet, which is accessible .4 miles past the lower dam road. The outlet connects to the river about halfway to Hitchens Pond. There will be room for about 10 vehicles at two Horseshoe Lake campsites that will be used for temporary parking.

People willing to carry or wheel their boats 2.5 miles can use the access road to Lows Upper Dam. There is room for about 10 vehicles at the gate.

Is the stream from Horseshoe to Big River navigable? Guessing not so much based on Google earth view.

Bill, I have the notion that the Horseshoe outlet stream would be mostly navigable under normal water levels, but my understanding is that the level has been lowered while construction is ongoing at the lower dam. If one can believe the Google Earth measuring feature, the narrowest channels of the stream are about 8' wide as of the image date of September 2015. Springtime water levels would be higher with snowmelt, but in the current situation still low due to dam construction. The stream is probably not a viable option until dam construction finishes, but then the normal access would be available. I suppose one could use this access just to prove it's "doable"!

Although I have paddled past the mouth of that stream more than 40 times over the years, I have never ventured into it. It looks particularly nasty and choked at that point. I have heard from others who have tried that it is choked with deadfall and beaver activity much of the way. If I were ever to try it from the Hroseshoe end, I would only plan to use my old Hornbeck Lost Pond ultralight canoe with the option of bailing out when nearing bushwhack access to the road to the upper dam.

Horseshoe to Hitchens. I did it (2007-2010?) it went easy then. your millage may vary. That said, if it looks at all possible I will give it a try in the spring. Maybe snowshoes and a bow saw this winter.....

I paddled the stream years ago when the lower dam was last worked on. It was spring, so the water level was fairly high and it was navigatable with a few rough spots. Personally, I wouldn't bother with it - I will just walk the road, either with my Sawyer/cart or with the Hornbeck yoke. Either way, it will be nice to get in there again this year.

Back