• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Lows Lake October weekend get away

Reaction score
My wife and I made our first trip that originated from the East in over 30 years and it did not disappoint. We arrived at the put in a couple hours later than planned. We were surprised by the amount of cars parked on the road and we’re concerned about crowds.

We got on the water around 1:30 and we’re immediately impressed with how beautiful the area is. I’m sure Lows is pretty in any season, but on this fall day with the leaves in full color and the lighting just right it was fantastic. Every time we would round a corner or I looked in a different direction I was almost overwhelmed with beauty. I do believe it was not only the prettiest place I had ever paddled but possibly the prettiest place I’ve ever been.

We got over the portage and through the channel and came to campsite 12 at three thirty and decided to stay. It was a great spot, covered with pine needles, big trees and wide open.

This trip was filled with a bunch of firsts. First trip to the Daks, first in a w/c boat, first with an entirely new kit except for one # 4 Duluth pack that contained our sleeping bags, pads, and clothes. It was the first time using pack baskets and we loved them for how easy they made organizing small stuff ease of access. We also had a new stove, a Knico trekker, which was the perfect size and worked great. We also had a new to me campfire tent in like new condition. It was heavier material than the Egyptian cotton one I’ve been using for almost 25 years. It weighs about 7 pounds more but was clean and fresh.

We took a day trip on Sunday hoping to check out the rest of the lake. We made it past site 18 which was fantastic and well into grass pond. My gps said we had almost six miles in and we headed back without making it to Tall Timber’s and the rest of the lake.

We packed up early Monday morning and we’re on the water by 9:00. It was a very successful trip. Everything worked well and there were no crowds and we were surrounded by beauty. CAF6E4A6-352B-40F4-B04C-D6CC8DB1E5C4.jpegCAF6E4A6-352B-40F4-B04C-D6CC8DB1E5C4.jpegCAF6E4A6-352B-40F4-B04C-D6CC8DB1E5C4.jpeg3E703F8F-A1E1-41F0-9E96-0E880E04A781.jpegAF4CEDBE-C5F6-454E-92FB-767C1E2D52DC.jpeg43804AA4-FCC4-4C1A-90D9-F49E63FBDF58.jpeg71D3B691-7997-4075-88DD-69AE0A4E3D3E.jpeg7B599EF1-CE6D-4307-91C7-5F3A7209AAF6.jpegFBDF84AF-1882-406F-8A6F-303985F78831.jpeg1C868AF5-9388-41F4-9E8B-04E1170CE727.jpegAF4CEDBE-C5F6-454E-92FB-767C1E2D52DC.jpegAF4CEDBE-C5F6-454E-92FB-767C1E2D52DC.jpeg4A708C97-219B-4F1D-B357-BDE6D5A3D2E5.jpeg

Attachments

• 34E9EC18-B57D-47C9-BE77-368064E1C134.jpeg
    34E9EC18-B57D-47C9-BE77-368064E1C134.jpeg
    207.6 KB · Views: 13
Very nice! In the photo of the tent at night, is that an optical illusion or am I looking at a light bulb in a champagne bottle??

Very enjoyable trip report, great pictures. Looks like you had good weather to enjoy your fall outing. Thanks for sharing.

Very nice trip report with all traditional gear. Thank you, Al.

You can edit out the duplicate photos if you want.

Thanks Glenn, needless to say I really like the traditional gear and there were a few older folks at the portage who really appreciated checking it out also. One women commented that she hadn't seen anyone use there paddles to portage a canoe in a long time.

The biggest facture that made this trip a success is that last night my wife said she'd like to go again next weekend.

Nice trip report, I enjoyed all the pictures and your outfit. I agree about the beauty of the area, that first mile or two is magical. I really like your tent and stove set up.
I'm still looking for a pack basket, had one lined up but the deal fell thru. Your pictures renewed my search.
Thanks for posting this trip, and I'm glad your wife enjoyed it. Lucky guy.

Magical is the right word to describe the area. I'm still stoked a week later. I just took off my Tilley hat last night.:)

Too bad about the pack basket, hopefully one will turn up soon. They are the best thing I added to my kit since the hot tent. I just rigged a tump on one to make it easier to carry with an additional pack on top.

Great trip! Can't beat ADK in a WC canoe. Lows's is one of my favorites. Next you have to check out St.Regis. My girlfriend and I are up there every weekend in season. Attached is my fully loaded Chestnut Garry. Similar to your set up The broom was given to us by a Ranger to sweep out the lean to.

Attachments

• 20210626_124026.jpg
    20210626_124026.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 34
Thoroughly enjoyed this trip report and your photography. More importantly your wife enjoyed the trip. I am in the process of trying to convince my wife to at least head out for a Lobster Lake / Penobscot West Branch trip next year. We will become empty nesters next year so I certainly would enjoy her company on the less grueling trips such as the West Branch. Seems like your wife is now hooked like most of us. Thanks for sharing this report and pictures!

Thanks for the great trip report and photos! We also camped on site 12 on our put in day, first trip, 2 years ago. Stellar site, one of many. I particularly enjoyed the photos of you standing in the stern of your canoe!

Great trip! Can't beat ADK in a WC canoe. Lows's is one of my favorites. Next you have to check out St.Regis. My girlfriend and I are up there every weekend in season. Attached is my fully loaded Chestnut Garry. Similar to your set up The broom was given to us by a Ranger to sweep out the lean to.
I look forward to checking out more of the area, maybe we can meet up sometime. I like your basket.

Thoroughly enjoyed this trip report and your photography. More importantly your wife enjoyed the trip. I am in the process of trying to convince my wife to at least head out for a Lobster Lake / Penobscot West Branch trip next year. We will become empty nesters next year so I certainly would enjoy her company on the less grueling trips such as the West Branch. Seems like your wife is now hooked like most of us. Thanks for sharing this report and pictures!
My wife has liked tripping for over thirty years and now that our trips are more paddling than portaging she is more enthusiastic. Her big concern is not being comfortable sleeping as she has back and neck issues. Good luck getting out with your wife, avoid the bugs and make comfort a priority. Alcohol also helps, if applicable.

Al, where did you get those great suspenders??
They are Dickies, don't remember where I got them. I've always been a belt and suspender guy.

Thanks for the great trip report and photos! We also camped on site 12 on our put in day, first trip, 2 years ago. Stellar site, one of many. I particularly enjoyed the photos of you standing in the stern of your canoe!
Thanks Rick, 12 was a great site, we checked out a couple other sites and they were all nice and clean. The only thing left behind by others were the ropes used to hang food bags that got stuck in the trees.

I have a question about the portage. I carried on the trail on the east side of the creek but I noticed there was a trail coming up from the west side and it looked like you could get a lot closer using the creek. Did I miss the short trail?

I have a question about the portage. I carried on the trail on the east side of the creek but I noticed there was a trail coming up from the west side and it looked like you could get a lot closer using the creek. Did I miss the short trail?

I did use that creek once but have since just walked up the east side of the creek. I'm always loaded heavy and the creek runs too fast for me.
I bring my home made canoe cart when I bring my wall tent outfit, waningan, stove etc., I stash it in the brush till I come back out.
I'd be up for a wood canoe get together at Low's.

site 18-Lows Lake
DSC02402_zpsdncjzbeq.jpg

Back