• Happy Birthday, William Shakespeare (1564-1616)! 2️⃣🅱️, 🚫2️⃣🅱️

Loaded up...

Reaction score
I'm all loaded and heading up to Paul Smiths College tomorrow for the Wooden Canoe Heritage Assoc assembly, but first I have to be in Syracuse NY at 9am to drop off the Chum on the right. The north to PS, will be setting up my small wall tent for display so I'm pretty pumped.
Meeting a few CT members there so I'll take some pics and tell some lies when I get back Sat

Attachments

• photo7408.JPG
    photo7408.JPG
    139.6 KB · Views: 0
Say hi to all for me. I'm in Jasper AB
Headed to a canoe area that is currently closed due to wildfires

Last edited:
Have fun Robin. Wish we could make it this year but getting our house ready for sale is taking way more time that I thought. I did however donate to the auction a library bound copy of 'Forest and Stream' for the year 1897 I think it was. It was fun to get lost in the past every once in a while but it was time to pass it on. So, bid it up.
Jim

No Title

Jim, I donated some oars and saw 2 books on the table, didn't look at them. But I saw 2 beautiful Wannigans. Would have like to bid on those but they will probably go for more than what I can afford right now

Attachments

• photo7428.jpg
    photo7428.jpg
    3.4 KB · Views: 0
I got home early this afternoon and just finished up drying out the gear, lots of rain there yesterday afternoon/evening.It was a good time, really surprised how many folks I met from CT, or how many folks knew of the site or of my Youtube channel. The wall tent was well received and I had a good time talking wall tents with so many different folks. Sitting down with Pam Wedd at the tent and talking all things canoes was a highlite. Meeting Abenakiregion (Dave) and spending so much time talking Chestnuts, poling, camping, tools, and life was also very memorable. I was thinking of have a CT group picture but thought that might steal the thunder from the WCHA, there was that many CT members.Meeting Mike Kelly from NJ (member) and my old friends Fitz (and children Erin and Brendan) and Steve from the Boston area were also great company throughout the week. Coldfoot, Forest Runes and probably others I'm too tired to recall at this moment also made the week a great time. Nice paddle made by Coldfoot and Ed (Forest Runes) brought the beautiful Woods Pack he won in the fund raiser raffle.
Here's some pics of canoes on the lawn, pretty canoes but very few trippers

DSC02639_zpsbznowgl2.jpg
[/URL]

Here's a Chestnut Prospector ready to trip

Kinda liked this solo,

Tremelo Paddles

The paddleby in the pouring rain,

I'm on the same page with You Robin with that solo, wasn't that a Willow by Jerry Stelmok. Never seen one in the flesh before, fine lines on that craft, Oh so very fine. I really don't need another canoe but maybe ....... I just need a better sales pitch to the bride !

Last edited:
That does it next year I'm going to be there, it's been too long. I don't care what is going on in my life..
As to the rain my daughter said it's been raining for about two weeks, a lot of flooding going on.
Jim

I'm on the same page with You Robin with that solo, wasn't that a Willow by Jerry Stelmok. Never seen one in the flesh before, fine lines on that craft, Oh so very fine. I really don't need another canoe but maybe ....... I just need a better sales pitch to the bride !

Yes it was a Willow wisp, a real beauty.
DSC02637_zpszff8owlt.jpg

That does it next year I'm going to be there, it's been too long. I don't care what is going on in my life..
As to the rain my daughter said it's been raining for about two weeks, a lot of flooding going on.
Jim

Next year the assembly will be held at Trent University, Peterborough, Ontario, Canada. The theme will be Chestnut canoes and also Bill Mason. The following year is the 40th anniversary back at Paul Smiths NY.

Next year the assembly will be held at Trent University, Peterborough, Ontario, Canada. The theme will be Chestnut canoes and also Bill Mason. The following year is the 40th anniversary back at Paul Smiths NY.

I might have to go to that one. Too cool you got to spend time with Pam, she is awesome and we got a whole evening with her and Jane last year.

Thanks Robin for the great post, I really wanted to get up there.

Did you come back with all your canoes?

Last edited:
It occurred to me...we have a barn full of canoes and not a chestnut in the lot. They should have a sub theme of Pete's. I mean really, guys. I am already making plans for this one. I can see it being a major event.

Christy

Thanks for the update and the pictures Robin. Looks like it was a pretty good time. Hopefully, I will get to make the trip next year. Is that a Chestnut hull picture after the Willow?

Is that a Chestnut hull picture after the Willow?

No, it was the canoe in the first picture turned up side down I can't remember the name of the company, but it was a small builder around Kennebunkport Maine iirc. Almost 100 yo

I cannot thank Robin enough. This year's theme was canoe accessories, and I thought, what better than a hot tent? I have wanted to see his winter kit for some time. I know, it takes a great deal of effort to load the truck and strap on the canoes, travel, travel, travel, and set up camp, but without volunteers like Robin, life is rather flat. Right?

The Assembly is a great event, and paddlers are the best people in the world. If you love the outdoors, camping and paddling, I urge you to become involved in the WCHA and make a trek to Assembly. You will find local chapters, clinics and a bunch of like-minded people. It has been called, "Summer Camp for Adults", but that is a misnomer. Very little kids learning to paddle in wood and canvas canoes really brought a tear to my eye this year. A few had their own wood and canvas boats!

Next year we are in Peterborough, Ontario. The following year is our 40th Anniversary back at Paul Smiths. Please come and bring a boat. We don't discriminate. Extremely nice meeting Cold Feet. I will tell you right now, he is gonna wonder why he needs all those plastic boats!!

Fitz

Back