• Happy International Mermaid Day! 🧜🏼‍♀️

Lila to LTL Key Swap or Trip

stripperguy - That was my guess. I also remember him being referred to as "bird" from time to time. Didn't know he is from Schenectady though. I always thought by what he wrote he was from western NYS. No worries though. It's all good.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

I didn't mean to mislead...from some sort of internet/code magic, his location appears differently to different users...
He actually is /was in western NY.

OK Robin thanks for clearing up the guest confusion. How about another Lows Lake excursion sometime this spring?

I'm not sure whats in store for the spring. My friend Dennis and I are kicking around an idea to go to Little Tupper Lake for a few days just after ice out. We would be using our canvas tents with wood stoves but hope for warm temps. The road in is paved so no wait for the end of mud season.

An early trip to Lows would be nice but that dirt road is closed till the mud season ends by then I'll be planning for LaVerendrye in Quebec.
I'll be back in Lows the last two weeks of October for sure.

I'm not sure whats in store for the spring. My friend Dennis and I are kicking around an idea to go to Little Tupper Lake for a few days just after ice out. We would be using our canvas tents with wood stoves but hope for warm temps. The road in is paved so no wait for the end of mud season.

An early trip to Lows would be nice but that dirt road is closed till the mud season ends by then I'll be planning for LaVerendrye in Quebec.
I'll be back in Lows the last two weeks of October for sure.

Robin,
Even if the road is closed that branches left to the put in at the lower dam, you can generally continue straight and put in a bit down the road. This is an alternate route into Hitchins and eventually Lows. The little stream gets choked in during regular season, but early in the year, and particularly before leaf out is no problem.

Thanks SG, can I park there? Do you know of a reliable way of finding out if the ice is gone? My friend GlenL used to try and be the first one in every year maybe I'll see him in there...ha

I was checking out the stream on Google maps and found these folks at the RR bridge...canoes on satellite! (this is probably been shared before)
https://www.google.com/maps/@44.1170383,-74.6454564,100m/data=!3m1!1e3

Hey robin,
I saw those paddlers too, when I was making sure that the alternate put in was visible on satellite views.
You know GlenL? He was/is quite the pioneer, he's done some legendary routes that no one knows about! (that's a good thing)
He is the inspiration behind my upcoming Cedar River/Rock River trip this spring. He gave me a fantastic sketch map of the Cedar and its surroundings, really helpful.

Parking? Uhmmm, we used to just leave the cars along the road wherever we could fit.
As far as ice out, there was a webcam site:

http://phenocam.sr.unh.edu/webcam/sites/arbutuslake/

that has years of history, photos from every hour, every day, every year going back 10 years or so. It looks at Arbutus Pond, near Newcomb. They (ESF?) are in the process of implementing a second cam on Goodnow Mt. I use the photos, when working, to see ice in, ice out, foliage change, etc.
Statiscally speaking, there is little variation in ice outs, regardless of how harsh or how mild the winter was. Usually within the same week.

Back