• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Lightweight, Comfortable sleeping pad for big guy

Reaction score
I may be looking for the Holy Grail, but...

Im a hammock guy, and have been going back some time. When I car camp with the springbar tent, its a cot and pad. But my son has just become a Boy Scout, and I will be accompanying him on a number of trips where the two above will not be options (both backpacking and canoeing). Its been a long while since I have "gone to ground". Im an experienced outdoors person and guided for a good portion of my life up until kids.

Im looking to hear from the big folks out there. Im 6'7" and approaching 295# (think linebacker, not potato), so the average sleeping pad is neither long enough, wide enough, or supportive enough, for me. Im looking for something on the light weight side, but I am reasonable, considering my size. Im not looking for the "Ive used a 8# CampRest my whole life, and never wanted anything else", nor am I looking for "Im 5'3" and weigh 97#, and ______ works for me.

I need pointed in the right direction. Going to the local outfitter or REI isn't an option. Im willing to order a couple and try them at home, but id like to hear what folks in this group use.

I saw this on Massdrop a few weeks ago. I don't know what the Massdrop price is, and imagine you could get one less than this, but..

https://www.klymit.com/insulated-hammock-v-sleeping-pad.html

The R value was 4.4.

You might also look at Snugpak underquilt--they may call it an under blanket.

I'm pretty sure you'd get an absolutely overwhelming amount of information from Hammockforums.net . Those folks are practically rabid about hammocks. Nice, but the learning curve they present is kind of overwhelming if you don't already know a bunch of knots and splices and types of rope and slings and... . They WILL help you. They WILL suggest the perfect answer. They very well may be right.

Pringles

Pringles, thanks for the reply, but I did not express myself clearly. I am well set up as far as my hammock set up goes (Hennessey Hammock, spectra whoopee slings, Jacks R Better down under quilt and top quilt). Im looking for a pad suitable to sleep on the ground, in a tent.

Well I'm only 6' 1" so my sleeping pad solution isn't going to fit your length, but it may well answer most of your needs.

I've used a a number of different pads over the years, starting with closed cell foam, moving to Thermarest self inflating pads, and lastly with an inflating pad (Klymit) that I currently use.

I use a Klymit Static V insulated pad. Lighter and far less bulky than my Thermarest pads. I'm 3+ years into using the pad and am very, very pleased with it. I weigh around 235 and the pad has held up just fine, no leaks or issues. I find the pad is very comfortable and the rib design seems to keep me centered on the pad over the night; I don't find myself drifting off the pad at night. Worried about a pad blow out (which I've not had) I bought a second Static V to bring along as a spare.

I noticed that Klymit makes a deluxe version of this pad, both wider and longer. This might be the solution for your situation. Look at https://www.klymit.com/insulated-static-v-luxe-sleeping-pad.html

If 76 inches isn't long enough you could always bring a small section of closed cell foam to use either under your feet or head to get the length your need. But since most people sleep in a semi -fetal position you might be able to get by with a padshorter that your 6' 7" length.

Hope that helps.

Cabelas makes an " Alaskan Guide" model that comes in two sizes, one being rather large. Check that out. I see the weight as being your main limiting factor. Most of the inflatables are made for up to 250 lbs. Woods makes a double wide, I use the single size, that is cheap enough to try but will be short for you. Same with inflatable air beds, the 6" thick ones. They will be shortish. Perhaps a closed cell foam pad, or two with an open cell foam for comfort? It's all sounding rather heavy and awkward but a big strapping guy like you should be able to swing that better than me.

There is a niche market for you...design one and market it.

Christine

Im looking to hear from the big folks out there. Im 6'7" and approaching 295# (think linebacker, not potato), so the average sleeping pad is neither long enough, wide enough, or supportive enough, for me. Im looking for something on the light weight side, but I am reasonable, considering my size.

Pad length, width, weight. For O lineman weight add durability and the Grail gets Holier.

You might be able to cull some thoughts and experiences from the Canoe camping mattress 2018 thread below in this forum.

Willies suggestion of using a piece of closed cell foam at the foot end of a 6 foot long pad would be a solution if you are a stretched flat back sleeper and, if you did blow out a pad during a trip, would give you something to stick under the shoulder and hip area for at least minimal comfort and insulation.

I would be concerned about putting 295 lbs on an air mattress that is dependent on internal baffles. Or, really, any pad with Lite in the name or principal design criteria. See various Exped and etc failure tales in that thread.

I am not sure what you consider to be the light weight side but, again, at near 300 lbs I would be suspect of using a heavily baffled 18 oz inflatable

You have 7 inches and 30 lbs on me, but FWIW I am very pleased with the ThermaRest Luxury Map. Presuming both length and width are important the biggest version of the Luxury Map is 77 inches x 30 inches x 3 inches thick. On the downside it does weigh 5 lbs.

Please let us know what you find, big guy sleeping pads present some specific design demands.

EDIT, looking at the weights of some baffled inflatables vs foam filled self inflators the difference is often in the 2 lb vs 4 lb range. The biggest advantage of the baffled inflatables seems to be in reduced pack size.

Last edited:
Pringles, thanks for the reply, but I did not express myself clearly. I am well set up as far as my hammock set up goes (Hennessey Hammock, spectra whoopee slings, Jacks R Better down under quilt and top quilt). Im looking for a pad suitable to sleep on the ground, in a tent.

Oh... sorry. I DID misunderstand. At the glorious height of 5'4", I can only wish you luck. :)

I come in at 6'2" 250lbs and was a linebacker in my HS and College Days....haha! I use a brand that I was willing to try by trial and error. Here is the link: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078PGX9JZ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have been quite pleased with this product. It is inexpensive, has a built in sponge pump and is decently lightweight. Packs to a size of about 8" x 6" give or take.

I'm smaller than you (6'2" and 250 now), but I have XL versions of both REI and ALPS Mountaineering sleeping mats. The REI one is slightly bigger, I think. Both work well for me and have been durable.

They are not light, and they are not cheap but holly Christmas batman they are supper comfortable. Poco pads. https://www.nrs.com/category/2914/camping/sleeping-pads
I just pickup a Klymit pad but have not spent a night on it yet but it is definitely more comfortable then typical thermarest. Sierra Trading Post has had a number of deals on various Klymit pads that I believe are last years model for 35-65 us dollars.

I'm 6', 250 lbs and 57 years young(ish) . I use an Exped Downmat 7. It is insulated and supports me well. Weighs about 2 lbs. It has a built in hand pump. Worth every dollar and ounce.

Cookannapurna, we too seldom hear the Paul Harvey Rest of the Story.

Which long, wide, supportive big boy sleeping pad did you select for tented ground sleeping?

How has it worked? Positives or negatives or other thoughts?

Thermarest MondoKing 3D XXL 80" x 30" x 4"

I use an older non-3D Mondo, same width & thickness (without the 3D straight sides) but a bit shorter. It's true luxury for me but I'm short(ish) and weigh half what the OP does!

Thermarest have replaced the original 3D with a newer version so there are some deals to be had on the older model.

New version

https://www.thermarest.com/sleeping...ng-3d-sleeping-pad/mondoking-3d.html?srd=true

Old version

https://www.thermarest.com/sleeping...alve/mondoking-3d-classic-valve.html?srd=true

You may want try the 2020 Thermarest Trail Pro, Large.
it will be 3” thick and have new valves.
We have had great experiences with the current Trail Pro’s, men’s and women’s.

Sealy postturepedic pillow top mattress. They are a b*tch to portage but guaranteed a good nights sleep. Or you can do what I did, stop sleeping on the ground. I'm 6'1" 250lbs and I've never looked back. Most comfortable sleep I've ever had. If I was single I'd sleep in one at home.

Back