• Happy "Killer Rabbit" Attacks President Carter in His Paddle Boat (1979)! 🚣🏼‍♂️🐇

Learn Canoe Technique from the Paddlers of 1930

Glenn MacGrady

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
In 1930 and earlier, when canoes were much more prevalent among outdoor hobbyists than today, I believe intermediate to advanced paddling techniques—some of which today are confusingly called freestlyle—along with rescue techniques, were more widely known. Take a look. I also wonder about the type of construction of Reg Blomfield's canoe.

I also wonder about the type of construction of Reg Blomfield's canoe.

It appears to be a traditional Peterborough style longitudinal strip canoe as shown in the links and on the 1914 catalog page below.

Benson

index.php

Last edited:
I also wonder about the type of construction of Reg Blomfield's canoe.
It appears to be a traditional Peterborough style longitudinal strip canoe

Thank you, Benson, and I'd like to explore this type of construction in a separate thread, since it obviously obviates the need for a heavy fiberglass overlay.

Meanwhile, I'd like folks, especially new canoeists, to focus on some of the definitive technique assertions made in the video.

"In the early days canoeing accidents were few, owing to the fact that seats were not built in canoes and the canoeist was taught to kneel. The greenhorn's habit of sitting on decks, seats and thwarts is responsible for about 90% of all canoeing accidents."

Note also the emphasis, when forward paddling an empty canoe solo, on kneeling slightly behind center , kneeling on the bottom, kneeling with your knees wide apart, and possibly even kneeling on your heels Indian-style (if you can). "This gives you a very steady position."

As to the the forward stroke, the thumb of the upper grip hand "is always to be turned down"—what we would now call a J stroke. "This enables you to keep a perfectly straight correction." The "incorrect position" is where the grip hand "thumb is turned up", which "creates drag on your stroke and the stern of your boat swings around considerably"—what we now sometimes call the goon stroke. (The goon stroke does have application for short bursts in heavy whitewater canoeing.)

Finally, as to the touring forward stroke, note that Blomfield, like Omer Stringer and Bill Mason (for both of whom I can provide cites), will lever the paddle lightly off the gunwale, like a fulcrum, to assist the J correction and thereby reduce the force load on the arms, which can cumulate into arm tiredness in a long day of touring.

To empty the canoe with the side shake-out, note that the canoe is shoved ahead a bit with each shake, so as to get the water wave in the canoe to slop over the side and out.

I was surprised how effective that seemed to be.

The newer Capistrano Flip can be even faster and more effective. There are many videos and descriptions available on the internet if you aren't familiar with this. The one below credits Ron Drummond for inventing it.

Benson

To empty the canoe with the side shake-out, note that the canoe is shoved ahead a bit with each shake, so as to get the water wave in the canoe to slop over the side and out.

I was surprised how effective that seemed to be.

The more the canoe is flared, the more effective the side shake should be. He recommends and demonstrates the end shake for canoes with large tumblehome.

We've had many threads on rescue techniques, such as this one last year:

Always enjoyed the footage in that video. Before being uploaded onto YouTube, it used to play on a continuous loop in a corner at the Canadian Canoe Museum. Apparently Blomfield was a champion paddler for the Toronto Canoe Club in his younger days. His image was used by boat builder Walter Dean on promotional postcards...
fc0a326be3074772bfa3dbbf5a091901.jpg

Here's a little writeup from the 1908 Canadian Canoe Association program describing a canoe stunt invented by him...
CCA 1908 Blomfield.jpg

His paddling skills were also touted in a brief article appearing in the May 1905 issue of Rod and Gun in Canada...
Blomfield - Rod and Gun 1905.JPG

Always enjoyed the footage in that video. Before being uploaded onto YouTube, it used to play on a continuous loop in a corner at the Canadian Canoe Museum.

a canoe stunt invented by him... [the "Flip"]

We've had the longer version of Blomfield's video on this site, and here it is again. I've started it at 9:54 where the shorter version in the OP ends. In the second half of the video, Blomfield does an amazing variety of tricks in the canoe, including two versions of his "Flip", and ends with some instruction on whitewater paddling and wave surfing.

I began my Adirondack canoe racing career in the 1990s in what was then commonly called the "war canoe" class of longboat canoe. Sometime in the early next decade that name went out of favor and they were thereafter to this day only known as voyageur canoes.

I took my brother-in-law's Mom out for a paddle a few years ago when she was a 97 years old, she had been a paddler from that era. She told me she knew how to get back to shore if you've lost your paddle. She said to stand on the gunnels and swing your arms around. It surprised me and I thought that she had either seen the Reg Bloomfield video or it was a popular trick of the day.

She had a nice paddle stroke and I'm happy to say she is celebrating her 100th birthday in a month.

Sounds like gunnel pumping? Learned as a kid in an old aluminum hull. Hurt like heck if you fell IN the boat. Pretty certain those stunts are past me now😉

Back