• Happy Incorporation of Hudson's Bay Co. (1670) 🍁🦫🪓

LaVerendrye circuit 34 video

That's a very enjoyable video, Robin. You certainly eat well on your trips. That portage looks like it could be a real bone breaker, should you have slipped or tripped. The music you chose went well with your photos and video.

Tony

Thanks for posting. I've never been up to LaV, but it's calling.

I like the idea of sharing camp with a friend but not necessarily paddling with them all day. Everyone has different preferences about when to rise, time and length of meals, etc., and it seems like it would be ideal to be able to do your own thing but still have company at the campfire.

Thanks for posting. I've never been up to LaV, but it's calling.

I like the idea of sharing camp with a friend but not necessarily paddling with them all day. Everyone has different preferences about when to rise, time and length of meals, etc., and it seems like it would be ideal to be able to do your own thing but still have company at the campfire.

We also reminded each other to take our medications!
I liked that also really, we picked a few campsites out on the map and I checked them out as late afternoon approached, looking for my friend.

Nice video and editing. That was some ankle breaker of a portage. If I had a Royalex canoe, I'd be dragging it over that these days.

I love that gunnel view. I could watch that for hours. That paddle-clamp setup you've got is genius.
That's a great idea, stopping for a quick meal and hot drink. Pancakes and tea, or whatever. Think I'll include that in our next trip.
LaVerendrye looks beautiful even in the rain. Thanks for this Robin.

Last edited:
Nice video and editing. That was some ankle breaker of a portage. If I had a Royalex canoe, I'd be dragging it over that these days.
I used that portage 20 years ago in the opposite direction but I don't remember it, and I would have remembered anything that bad. I think it got washed out since in a flood.
I asked Gerald if we should two man the canoes on this one (I caught up to him in the foggy morning), he said that would probably be more dangerous, which is probably right in hindsight.

Nice paddling through narrow streams with all those green aquatic plants... must have been enough water in the channel...

Oops, hit something that triggered "save"...

Anyway, both lucky and unlucky on those, got stopped several years ago on a small, narrow stream with almost no water in it and had to go to Plan "B".

Thanks for posting the vid!

Last edited:
I liked the video Robin. I have always wanted to take a go pro or something and video some of my trips. The foggy morning shots really spoke to me, reminded me of some long ago solo trips and the silence that only a heavy fog can bring. Beautiful and eerie at the same time. I like your kit - canvas packs, twig stove etc. Watching these videos is killing me. I went for a long paddle yesterday with my dog ... too darn hot to bow hunt. Boy I miss paddling, especially in the wilderness.

Looked like a great trip, i enjoyed watching your video.

Bob.

Glad to see the black hat come out before the end of the trip.

Robin - Thanks for the glimpse into your travels. I envy you & Gerald. I would love to have a paddling partner such as the arrangement you two have worked out. It would ease my wife's mind and yet you can travel at your own speed with the knowledge that there's some company at the end of the day.

As for the gunwale banging; no issue there other than it probably adds to your maintenance work at the end (or beginning) of the paddling season. And hey, if you don't mind, why should we?

That's all for now. Take care and until next time....be well.

snapper

Thanks for sharing, that portage would have probably made me turn around and go back the other way. I too enjoyed the music. I need to get me a go pro also but that's another thread to read about one day.

Back