• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Lashing the pole to a roof rack?

Reaction score
I have a Yakima Rack on my truck and need to transport my pole on the rack. What's the best way to do it?

I really fear that it will slip and create a missile hazard. I've been thinking of all kinds of goofy options.

How do you do it?

Well, I suppose it depends on how long it is but can't you slip it under the thwarts of your canoe? Mine requires a little flexing but once under and inside the canoe it only requires a lashing to the center thwart to keep it in place.
Good on you for thinking of the other drivers.

Best Wishes, Rob

I use a pair of old Thule ski holders with a rubber strap just like in these pics...

2925_2_lg.jpg

They are called "Non-Locking Ski Carriers". Got them years ago for around $10 since they were being discontinued. Maybe you could find something that would be compatible with your Yakima rack. Over the years used them to carry skies, windsurf masts, paddles and found it perfectly secured my carved wooden pole too.

BigEast+Poling+001.jpg

I took a pole up to Shearwater. I just incorporated it into my belly tie downs. Gotta put those extra feet of strapping to use. It did not slide.

Thanks for all the different suggestions. I'll give a bunch a try while keeping good old duct tape in the truck for back up.

It's nice that there is more than one way to do this.

Not exactly the same, but I have a homemade double paddle that spans roughly 8' (and 9" I think... big anyway). I do as OM suggested... run it inside the canoe and secure it to a thwart with a bungie cord.

Hi Cronje, Give your self a real treat and check out Murat's site Paddlemaking.blogspot.com I can't remember if that canoe was there; I was partly stunned with all the wealth of visual treats! Bunches of canoe history!

Best Wishes,

Rob

Last edited:
I use 2 of those black rubber bungee cords, I keep a handful in my truck and they work well. Just an X across the pole and stretch em tight, find a good hook spot (my old roof racks lost the end caps years ago and I just hook the straps S hooks there) and away you go.
On longer trips, i.e. Maine, I tie the end of my flat canoe tie down strap to it for a last resort safety measure, but the rubber straps have enough grab to hold the pole solid.

I use 2 of those black rubber bungee cords, I keep a handful in my truck and they work well. Just an X across the pole and stretch em tight, find a good hook spot (my old roof racks lost the end caps years ago and I just hook the straps S hooks there) and away you go.
On longer trips, i.e. Maine, I tie the end of my flat canoe tie down strap to it for a last resort safety measure, but the rubber straps have enough grab to hold the pole solid.

I've been using those rubber chain adjusters from the old set of chains I spun off my truck during that 3' of snow we got last november I think it was. Elastic is good, I'd think bungies, especially those black rubber ones would be great.

More good ideas, thank you.

The pole is going with me on Friday, I'll see what method I'll use.

Boy oh boy was I over thinking this one. I used a couple of bungee balls and one good clove hitch and the pole didn't even twitch.

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions.

Boy oh boy was I over thinking this one. I used a couple of bungee balls and one good clove hitch and the pole didn't even twitch.

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions.

LOL! The story of much of my life!

The nice thing about lashing down a single (or even a few) pole (s) is that they don't offer much in the way of a cross section to either head on wind or cross winds. I bet you could lash the pole to the racks with just about anything and it would be OK. Of course, to be safe, there is no problem in a little extra security. Usually my pole is up under the thwarts of my boat. If I'm transporting just the pole, I just use one cam strap to secure it to both crossbars of the rack. Works like a charm...not even a twitch.

Glad it worked out for you!

-Chuck

Back