• Happy International Mermaid Day! 🧜🏼‍♀️

Knee Pain

Reaction score
Does anyone have knee pain when sitting in a canoe? It usually takes about an hour before I start to get uncomfortable. I'll switch between kneeling and sitting, and have to move my legs every 10 minutes or so. I'm pushing late 50,s and work on a factory floor, a little over weight, so I'm not oblivious to my personal problems. Is there anything I can do to help. Maybe foot rest so I can keep pressure on my knees while sitting, back rest or seat height? I was in my Mohawk 13 yesterday for 3 hours and my knees hurt all evening.

I be grateful for any advice.
Thanks Roy

I change position frequently also, including straightening one leg at a time. A higher seat may also help, especially with the addition of a thick kneeling pad. When all else fails I sit on the bottom with both legs straight and lean back on a thwart or seat.

Roy we're about the same age and I'll bet the same weight. My knees aren't much of a problem but I don't work on a factory floor. But my ankles give me problems! After an hour or so of kneeling, my ankles fall asleep! I try to kneel in the whitewater and sit in the flat water, that helps. Or I'll kneel on one knee with that foot under the seat and the other leg out front, bent at a 90 degree angle, sole of that foot on the floor.

At least till this year, I was pleased I didnt have knee or leg issues. In my Sourish River canoes, I did switch between legs out straight and crossed with feet under seat, never kneel. In my Swift Prospector Pack, always legs out straight.

So after turning 70 last January, I slipped on ice and tore my left meniscusin April, surgery 4 weeks ago, and suspect it will all change. Think Chester from Gunsmoke.

Thanks for your alls input and advice, you could've responded like my wife, " loose some weight fatso". Ha just kidding she wouldn't say that. I think I'll raise my seats and try that. The small Mohawk and even the wabnaki I made, pains my knees after awhile. I seldom kneel unless encountering rough water, and I don't do white water. I'll play around with it and report when I find something that works. Sometimes it's nice to know you ain't alone.

I hope you have a good and speedy recovery billconner.
Thank you all
Roy CT

One other thing you might try is a soft brace. I've broken an ankle twice (same one) so I've carried ankle braces for years on hiking / canoe trips but, after twisting a knee on a slippery downhill this spring, I've added knee supports to my pack. I suppose I'll have to stop when my arsenal of braces outweighs the food pack or includes a back brace (I'm not sure which will come first).

I'm unsure if a brace would help in your situation as it seems to be aggravated by lack of motion rather than weight / twisting but they're cheap enough and can't hurt to try.

...Either that or map out routes of short paddle, portage, repeat...

I've had knee trouble for decades. Braces help, supplements seem to also (glucosamine/chondroitin, collagen) Footwear on hard surfaces matters a lot. I try never to kneel or crouch.
Good luck.

I took my youth for granted and have been dealing with the consequences ever since. I've (mostly) followed the advice from doctors regarding my "rickety" knees and "bad" back. a) lose weight. b) strengthen muscle groups. c) stop doing stupid stuff. d) remember I'm not 20 anymore.
a) I've lost a tonne of weight through diet and exercise but it's still an ongoing thing. Only halfway to my eventual target but so far so good. I fell off the diet wagon a year ago and after reviewing recent blood test results with my doc I've climbed back aboard. I'm abstaining from the bad stuff and steadily learning to cook healthier recipes. This is winding up a lifestyle change rather than a temporary thing.
b) I targeted my legs thru cycling and walking. The results are extraordinary. I'm no longer a winter cripple. For years I literally couldn't walk a city block without pain. Now I no longer pop Advil for portages like Tic Tacs. My knees still remind me on occasion when they're not happy but that has become seldom. We have a home gym and use it. It helps to have a fireplace and TV there; I can use the rowing machine or stationary cycle while I watch a YT video. My knees will never be 20 again but at least they no longer feel older than the rest of me.
c) I never overload my knees-legs. Rather than assume I'm strong enough instead I assume I'm not. I still climb stairs, hills, and ladders, but take it easy at all times. And very importantly I'm conscience of my pace and gait. Sounds fussy I know but it all has to do with proper posture, especially on portages. The mantra has changed from No Pain No Gain to No Pain All Gain.
d) I don't recognize the guy in the mirror, but I guess I'm stuck with him. I'm not old, I'm only in my 60's. I'm getting used to letting our kids do stuff for me I wouldn't dream of doing before. Lift this, carry that. I don't try to do everything myself and I guess that's okay. I've always hated asking for help, but by following the advice I feel like I'm doing something for myself and getting results.
Sorry for the blab but I hope it helps.

Last edited:
Loosing weight good. Finally in retirement I have dropped 40+ pounds and plan another 15. Puts me at weight in grad school. Less time at desk or traveling, and no more business travel meals and beverages. Plus I built a small barn this summer and digging and laying block solo in one of the hottest summers helped. But it did exacerbate my torn meniscus.

we'll see.

Ditto exercise. I always feel better in my joints and muscles when I manage to keep to my exercise/stretching regimen, which is a combo of traditional stuff like sit ups/crunches, a smattering of yoga, and some light (5-10 lb) weight training. Years ago a physio prescribed resistence band strength training when my knees were bugging me, and it definitely helped when I stuck to it (which I find very challenging).

I also definitely need to switch positions - I can't kneel for more than an hour, or sit for more than 30min, without something starting to hurt or going numb. It's one of several reasons I canoe more and more and kayak less and less - the ability to switch positions. Getting out every hour or so helps too. Frequent portage trips are good, but on longer lakes and river, just hopping on shore for a few min helps too. It's an opportunity to enjoy the surroundings as well.

I'm almost 70 (this coming April) and I had total knee replacement on the right side back in 2009. It's been years since I was able to kneel on both knees so mostly I sit in my canoes. The one thing that helped me was raising the seat level a bit on the Peregrine I picked up. The original owner paddles while kneeling. I tried using the seat & drops in the condition I purchased the canoe but found I could never get comfortable. Raising the seat and keeping it level has helped a lot. I still need to make adjustments while paddling but it's definitely better. Also, although it might be considered sacreligious, I added a foot brace in the canoe. It gives me even more flexibility when paddling so I'll keep it.

That's all for now. Take care, good luck in finding your solution and until next time....be well.

snapper

I used to squirm around changing positions frequently when paddling as folks have described above until I got the Colden Dragonfly. Seat is canted. I wear generic knee pads for cushioning and neoprene booties to protect the tops of my ankles. The most comfortable I’ve ever been In a canoe and I don’t have to change position hardly at all. It also seems to keep my back aligned well so no back pain either.

Knees are one of the weakest joints in the body. Exercise is key to making them stay functional. I like glucosamine, braces and sleeves, hot tub and staying active. I have torn an MCL in a horse wreck.

I played basketball competitively for over 40 years, retiring from leagues at age 51. My knees gave me trouble when playing bball as I got older. Now they are really good. I attribute that to good genes and staying active. I like to walk a lot, ride bikes and do yard work. Once in awhile they get sore but quickly recover.

I feel sorry for people with bad joints. It makes everything harder. Once there is a lot of pain it is easy to stop being active. My Dad is 98. I talked to him last week. He says he has little joint pain at all.

Living in what stoners call a “free state“ we have as many pot shops as some towns have espresso stands! Most carry far more than just weed and these guys are real scientist. A lot of “Mature” folks up here report great results from using various cannabis cremes for joint/muscle pain.

There’s a definite line in the sand for a lot of folks when it come to consuming cannabis products but a surprising number of people are on board with non ingested products.

I gave up kayaks because it is so hard to move around. They gave me back problems. Canoes are much better. Now I mostly use drift boats for overnight trips. I can stand up and move around and bring plenty of dogs.

I've cut back on my snacking and trying to get a little more exercise. I have figured out that the safety shoes I have been wearing at work, have been causing a lot of knee pain issues. I've bought a few expensive safety shoes for work, and the first few days they feel great. After a week or so I start having knee pain. It's taken a few months and a little more then a couple of hundred bucks to figure it out. I'm looking forward to getting the canoes out, and see if my knees have improved. Thanks for the advice and input.
Roy

Back