• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Kelly Kettle with Updates and Mods

Reaction score
I've written about the KK several times but just received the latest update from them and thought I pull it all together with this post.

They just came out with a new Base/Pot Support

https://www.kellykettleusa.com/pot-support-replacement

A while ago they came out with a Whistle Stopper.

https://www.kellykettleusa.com/whistle-for-large-and-medium-kelly-kettles

I haven't tried the new Base as yet but it looks like it will be a great addition. It's larger and should be a more stable base for large Pots. You can also put it under the base to get the whole kettle off the ground preventing fires starting under it.

The Whistle Stopper lets you know when the water's boiling if you're doing other things while it heats up. It also doesn't allow as much water to exit, putting out the fire in the base if you want to continue to cook.

View attachment zr2DFvMruDGq55B_xSiTOMx8sj4gDpRWo4PuEuuYYNLEfqRakJBdoS6nIb9QqkWuvl_5Y7-ZblZbnzD2f2rrl-U_LfWfYO9DhABW

The old and the new Pot Base

View attachment W5kl0jg_DPLeteVXKrVonVWEze-kWGaC0b0e7xOZgE2GeD-lGyKZZF1FNlI6GYbSeBi8TS3S8dNUd2Zm2V-eIb1_3uLoEnE-25ni

I added a Titanium Flyz Grill from Dutchware

https://dutchwaregear.com/product/flyz-grill-top/

A Blow Tube made from silicon tubing and part of the handle from and Acid Brush

https://www.harborfreight.com/36-pc...SZkvsubToieU07v0gy1i4I-qZgC30FIkaAq-VEALw_wcB

And upgraded to a heavier stuff sack to carry them.

Also they are a great place to store your Silky Gomboy

View attachment 1qJMfdaeUgHKtgF-E3TjkKBudKMssyZkBEneJYDPbMbKPPuxpS3KbDxCyvMpELBIGPig8m-U_Oj1ZLjGA_Z1AciXKvOFk24gYivk

Not shown is the Ziplock Sandwich Bag of Birch Bark and Lighter that rides in the stove.

It boils water fast. The Kettle is a Water Jacket and the flames chimney thru the center of it.

Once you get it start and place the kettle on top the chimney effect really takes over. Even small damp wood ignites.

Usually there is enough scrapes around the Fire Pit for fuel.

If there are kids on the trip THEY love to do the cooking at least get the water boiling.

Pine Cones are 'Fuel Rods' you just have to keep the kids from filling the whole kettle with them.

Even the Hobo Stove works great if you're not boiling water.

https://www.kellykettleusa.com

​​

Attachments

• W5kl0jg_DPLeteVXKrVonVWEze-kWGaC0b0e7xOZgE2GeD-lGyKZZF1FNlI6GYbSeBi8TS3S8dNUd2Zm2V-eIb1_3uLoEnE-25ni
    570.7 KB · Views: 2
  • W5kl0jg_DPLeteVXKrVonVWEze-kWGaC0b0e7xOZgE2GeD-lGyKZZF1FNlI6GYbSeBi8TS3S8dNUd2Zm2V-eIb1_3uLoEnE-25ni
    570.7 KB · Views: 0
Good post
I have a thermette from NZ and the small MKettle of anodized aluminium. I like the big one for heating dish washing water in semi permanent camps. The smaller one is great for tea on day trips and fly fishing outings for a quick mug-up. On real canoe trips a quart Swedish coffee pot for cowboy coffee gets the nod.

Seeing that chimney flame blowing flame and heat out the top got me to thinking on how I could make use of it. So I made my own pot holder for the top of my KK. It worked ok, except that the KK is so efficient in boiling water quickly that there is no time to cook much on top before the KK boils the water and it burbles and overflows and puts out the fire. I'll have to try the whistle stopper to see if that helps.

My guess is the Whistle Stopper shortens the time for the water to boil

You can drain the boiled water and put it back on the base and continue to cook, or I boil the water, pour it into a pan with coffee grounds then put the Hobo Stove on the Base to finish the coffee. With this new Pot Base, I may put the kettle back on instead of the HB and take advantage of the Chimney Effect. I'll have to see how my coffee pot sits on it.

I’ll have to look into that whistle stopper
i’ve been using a Kelly kettle exclusively for about ten years
I find it to be extremely fast and never have to carry or run out of fuel again!!
The little stuff under your feet at an established site is more than enough fuel for many meals

I was just generously gifted a Kelly Kettle Trekker model. I've been using an MSR Pocket Rocket for years and am excited to try the Kelly out on a couple upcoming overnight trips. Any tips for a newb? Or is it as obvious as it seems?

The 'pot' set that was gifted to me is more of a cup size. I'm not sure the Trekker is big enough to cook my usual meals on... I might brook the extra weight of taking both and just use the Kelly for morning coffee and oatmeal to give it a whirl.

Are folks just using these to rehydrate dried meals with boiling water, or are there other recipes folks would recommed? Seems like the bottom section without the kettle part wouldn't be any more efficient than a small campfire and the instructions say you shouldn't heat the kettle dry, so boiling pasta or simmering rice seems like not a great match for the Kelly?

As a 'Starter,' I carry Birch Bark and collect fine confer bows.

When starting hold the base on its side with the hole down and hold it until the flame catches.

Make yourself an air hose out of silicone tubing with a cut-off cleaning brush handle in the fire end for bellowing the fire (Lower Foreground)
P1260390.JPG
Learn how to remove the Kettle from the base without burning your hand

KK are a good introduction to wood-burning stoves

Does anyone use the Kelly Kettle over an open fire? I'm talking about setting it on the fire or in the coals like a standard kettle instead of using the KK base. I found a post on this site where someone removed the bail handle and used a pot gripper/handle to pick the kettle up by the top edge. At minimum the wood would have to be removed from the bail handle. The stopper would need to be removed while heating also. I like the ideal of the KK, but would likely end up using it on an open fire more than on the base.

I’m thinking that storm cookers (Kelly Kettles, Thermette, Ghillie, etc.) are made to be used as a stand alone, quick way to boil water for a cup of tea, coffee, hot chocolate or instant soup. Using readily available combustible materials near at hand. If you are going to put it on a campfire, you would be money ahead, if you just bought a coffee pot, tea kettle or the proper sized pot for your group size. I like the two I have, they weren’t cheap though, the larger is a Thermette, for base camping used mainly to heat water for washing dishes and personal hygiene. The little Ghillie is used for a couple of cups of tea to go with a little lunch on day trips or quick hot drink on a cold nasty day while out fly fishing to stave off hypothermia.
Until I discovered the storm cookers I just carried a pot for mug-ups over small twig fires, the storm cookers are a bit quicker to boil, big plus, they don’t leave much of a trace that a campfire ring does.
On real canoe trips, I take a light stainless steel tea kettle that I brew coffee or tea in, I don’t think the storm cookers would earn their place on a paddle & portage trip.
Just my $.02
Boreal B

Kids like the storm cookers, seems fascinating to them, they like dropping spruce & pine cones down the chimney. Got to watch them pretty carefully, they is much danger from burns and scalding even for adults that should think twice prior to picking one up.

I've used them on a campfire, and I've also used them on a Coleman Stove.

Teach a kid to drop pine cones down the chimney of a KK and you'll never have to tend the stove again.

Thanks for the replies. I have a GSI Kettle and a small pot that I use for boiling water on a fire. KK piqued my interest but its not something I really need at the moment. If I did more back packing I could probably justify it.

Does anyone use the Kelly Kettle over an open fire?
Why would any one want to do this? For what purpose? That sure seems like a sure way of defeating the main advantage of the KK. The KK is meant to quickly boil water using a minimum of combustable material, small sticks, pine cones, etc. with a small base pan fire heating the water jacket directly from the inside chimney. The kettle and handle are designed for the burner base, not to be in a roaring fire which could damage the seams of the KK, not to mention making a sooty mess on the outside surface that you would have to clean. Bad idea IMO.

No different than putting a kettle in the fire? It's just a different way to heat water. I appreciate it's meant to be used on the base and likely won't get one unless I'll be using it in that way. The chimney feature is what drew me to the KK, faster heating.

It may take longer on a fire but you also don't have to feed it.
But you will likely have to replace it very soon. I suspect the chimney effect, that draws hot gasses though it and along the interior walls of the water jacket, would be rather ineffective sitting in an open firepit. But go ahead and try it. Report back here if you would. I for one would never do that to my KK.

I’ve been using a KK for maybe 15 years…
I also don’t see the wisdom behind placing the KK on an open fire.
But, I’d like to see a comparison of time to boil on the base vs an open flame. And also, hmmm, a comparison of input BTU’s, but that’s gonna be tricky in a non lab setting.

It's not about 'time of boil'. You're cooking breakfast, you put the KK on the grill somewhere, and you don't have to feed it, you have a fire going.

It's not about 'time of boil'. You're cooking breakfast, you put the KK on the grill somewhere, and you don't have to feed it, you have a fire going.
It seems to me that a regular pot of water with more surface area directly exposed to the fire would be much more efficient.

Back