• Happy Cinco De Mayo! 🇲🇽🎸💃🪅🌶️

Joe Seliga’s “the art of the canoe”

Reaction score
I recently purchased this book and am posting here due to the extremely well documented method of building he used.
This was an e-bay 2nd hand purchase; what a find. $18 and i cant tell it was every cracked, it’s that perfect. Over the next bit i will devour the contents and fully expect it to be one of those books you come back to repeatedly!

Attachments

• IMG_0344.jpeg
    IMG_0344.jpeg
    209.4 KB · Views: 13
Alasgun…….
I I knew Joe, back in the day purchased one of his canoes too, I was on urge list to buy it for seven years if I remember correctly. Been to his home and shop many times. A true artist, no fancy equipment just a very talented man. A nicer person than him I’ve never met and I have met some truly wonderful people.
His father’s Morris canoes set his standards really high in the building of canoes.
Enjoy the book, the author was/is a gifted canoe builder also.
There was a documentary filmed of Joe building a canoe too, if I can remember where and who it was produced by I will send you a message.

It is a great book, I really enjoyed reading it back in the day when I thought I'd like to build canoes as a retirement gig.
When the book arrived I opened it to the inside family picture to find it was signed by Joe who signed it as 1906 but later in the book it reads 1907. Mom, Dad, and Sis Ann are identified in the canoe.

I bought this book a couple weeks ago at Piragis while on my Fall trip. I did not buy a water proof speaker. I did have to pay $34.95 for a used book. I guess it's been out of print for 20 years. I'm cheap, I'm used to buying used books at ABB.com for $5 - $10 shipped to my door. Almost didn't buy it. Glad I did. The book starts with a lot of area history which I found interesting. Just finished it this morning and gooooogled Joe Seliga to see when he passed. This post came up in the results.

Back