• Happy International Mermaid Day! 🧜🏼‍♀️

Jack Mountain Bushcraft

Reaction score
Tim Smith runs a small bushcraft etc. school in Maine. I have been receiving his excellent blog for a while now and it's always interesting seeing what's going on at the school. He has a nice website with some neat pictures of the students in action.
http://www.jackmtn.com/

"We're a bushcraft, survival, guide training and wilderness expedition school established in 1999and based on the Aroostook River in Masardis, Maine. We teach college-accredited, GI Bill approved semester and yearlong immersion programs in bushcraft and wilderness guide training, as well as shorter courses on wilderness survival and tradtional north woods crafts. We also lead canoe and snowshoe expeditions....."

Thinking About Spring Canoeing

Thinking About Spring Canoeing

Latest from the Jack Mountain Blog:

[h=3]Thinking About Spring Canoeing[/h]
The deep snows of mid-February are covering the landscape (and the canoe trailer), and for the past few days the wind has been howling down the lake with enough force to sculpt the snow and make it feel very cold. With no more winter trips planned for this year, my thoughts are turning to spring canoeing. This time of year I love studying maps and looking for new twists to our spring canoe routes, as well as studying the traditional routes and and the overland carries that link them.
The past few days I’ve thought about all the different variations available on our spring trip on the Aroostook. For a river that seldom gets paddled, there are enough navigable tributaries to keep a person busy for several years just exploring them. This year we’ll again put in at Chase Lake, then float down Munsungan Stream before entering the Aroostook. I’m thinking about a possible St. Croix Stream trip this spring, as well as a possible Mooseleuk trip.
All this trip planning results in hours of happy daydreaming about trips past and possibilities for the future. There are endless possibilities. Eventually I’ll have to choose, but for now daydreaming is enough and keeps me smiling.

For folks who haven't seen it, Tim posted a 15-part series of a spring canoe expedition. The videos have lots of footage of paddling, portaging, poling & camping - including some footage of the "Northwoods / Canadian" stroke (on the Part 3 video). Couldn't seem to embed it here so below is the link to Part 1...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_2ZpzbusO4

e_2ZpzbusO4

The Aroostook is a great piece of water for a trip..But getting there in the first of May not so great. Our group had some vehicle bogdowns.

I miss Maine. I took Tim's Earth Skills Semester program live five years ago I guess, and worked as an apprentice/instructor. I love it in Aroostook county.

Back