• Happy National Garlic Day! 🧄🚫🧛🏼‍♂️

Hello from Dougoutcanoe, in England, UK.

Reaction score
Hi All,

I was captured by canoeing when I was about 8 years old, when I found the plans to make a canoe in an old Encyclopedia. I didn't build the canoe or do any water sports until many years later. Over 30 years later I was introduced to canoeing while on a kayak and canoe instructor course. The canoe won me over.

I used to teach in a 16yr+ Further Education College, near Manchester, UK. My main teaching was professional level photography, but I changed to Outdoor Education when I was 45yrs old. In the UK big canoe trips are rarely wild. But while training some students kayak skills, we stopped to chat. I asked where do you want to go now. I expected a point somewhere along the shore of the small lake we paddled on. But 2 jokers came up with London.

London is 250 miles from that lake. But I responded with a suggestion of a route. The students eyes lit up with excitement and said, "Can we?"

This was in February 1994, By June I had secured a fleet of canoes, a new trailer, and all the gear for a trip to London. The students were trained in paddling 20 mile days on British canals with no current to assist. The planned route would take 12 days. It was hard and challenging. We did it and we all had a great time. When we finished and were chilling out in the Royal Canoe Club house by the River Thames, a student asked, "What are we going to do next year?" But that's another story.

I have done many paddles, mostly multi day, all over the UK, Sweden, Finland, Florida (I don't do theme parks or amusements) and on one occasion, 10 days in Algonquin.

I have been retired for 12 years but I still coach canoeing and guide youths on their adventures. It is with these youths that I go to Sweden or Finland for their expeditions. I do go to Sweden and Finland for my own canoe trips. I am always on the lookout for canoe trips and further adventures.

Currently, due to Covid19 lockdown, I have not been paddling since March 2020. I have been restoring a composite, glass fibre canoe, that I was given a while ago. All its woodwork was rotten and the bare hull was very dirty and inside was sun and water damaged. It is closed to finished now with only outwales, seat, and thwarts to fit. I should have it finished for next week and I'll sneak out for a few hours paddling on a canal.

I look forward to exploring Canoetripping to see other people's journeys, makings and general chats.

Thanks to the admin for letting me join you,

Doug

Doug testing a prototype solo canoe.

Welcome from Pinnacle, North Carolina in the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains.

Thank you for you service to youth. I think the world could use a lot more of that.

Best regards to all,

Lance

Welcome from Louisiana,

Brave lot to paddle the Thames. My favorite canals have to be the Upper Peak Forest, with the Oxford coming in second.
Averaging 20 a day on canals was a serious hustle. Those kids will have bragging rights from that trip for the rest of their lives.
Bet you were some kind of knackered when that trip was finished.

Curious as to whether you lock through, or portage?

Again, Welcome

Bill

Hi Bill, some of those students are still regular paddlers and have remained friends since.

The girl that asked about, "Where next year?" Joined the next trip from Liverpool to Boston (the original Boston). Another 250 mile trip and on 3 of the 12 days we paddled 27miles.

We portaged all the locks, there was about 200 of them! There was one lock we did go through, it was the lock down into the Thames where the Grand Union Canal joins the river. The drop was too much to lower the canoes and there was only one quay side ladder down.

After the canal trips I changed to shorter trips like the Caledonian Canal but to make it more interesting I did them in late October. Each year I had students queuing for the opportunity.

Doug

Welcome from south Florida. I did a five day solo trip in Sweden a while back. It was a lot like our Adirondack area.

Back