• Happy International Museum Day!🏛️ 🖼️🏺

It's HOT!

Reaction score
This would be a typical Manitoba Summer. Brutal heat during the day and not dropping much overnight. High 90's without the humidity and high 70's or low 80's overnight.

This weekend here in Manitoba we have a special weather advisory due to heat. With the Humidex values we are to get up to 104F (40C). On these occasions we typically stay in the shade from around 2-7pm and drink plenty of water. How do you handle days like this?

I think this is why Canadians are considered hardy. 5 months ago it was -50F. A 150 degree swing in temperature from Winter to Summer. We have seen temperatures in the 90's on Labour day weekend as well, or snowing.

Don't have those wild temp swings here .
Yes it did get hot. 77 F which is a big change from the highs in the 50s
The ocean has a lot to do with it. SE winds bring highs much cooler than normal
It was in the forties in Rockland last week. Fleece is a year round staple
The black flies sing with the mosquitoes
Swimming might finally be possible
In Utah we has to be careful to stay hydrated. Highs over 100 and near freezing at night. Made me understand why there is an after lunch nap
We can always escape the heat. The mountains are here. At 6000 feet it's usually in the forties or fifties though last month there was....snow

Last edited:
Had not noted how hot Manitoba was lately. I will be heading across the Obukowin portages on the 21st. Hope things cool down by then. In contrast we have been below normal in northern Illinois most days lately.

Had not noted how hot Manitoba was lately. I will be heading across the Obukowin portages on the 21st. Hope things cool down by then. In contrast we have been below normal in northern Illinois most days lately.

The 21st is a Tuesday, otherwise I would drive up to Wallace Lake to meet you. It would be really cool to meet a legend.

Ok, so now that I have put Marten on a pedestal, I should explain why he is there for me.

In 2008 before I made my first ever trip to Manitoba, I googled the area Christine intended to take me out into. Through that I found Martens adventures through canoestories.com. Over the weeks prior to my first trip in Manitoba I read all of Martens adventures through that site. It was really cool to read for someone who grew up in the shadow of Toronto, where the closest wilderness was 8 hours away.

Martens adventures are the reason that I map canoe routes, use vacations to cut out portages and continue to go somewhere I am not at all comfortable in. He is the reason I do what I do. Thus, for me, legendary status.

Karin

I think you made me blush. We are certainly cut from the same cloth. I have not been on the Wanipigow for a few years and want to use Obukowin to get through Carroll and on to Craven so I can, surprise, do some bushwhacking toward Walking Stick. I had a walkable route before the "snowdown" and with all the mess now removed from the park portages it is time to go play again.

Well, if you don't mind a couple hour side trip, you could come by the house on the weekend prior.
I am thinking more of a chain saw get-together on that route north from the Wanipigow that needs cleaned. Get there next spring when the ice goes out and avoid the heat and the bugs.

That sounds like a date. Earlier to avoid the low water we've had the past two times to get those ports cut. Go the long way around going in and fix those then do the by-pass coming out and get it all done in one trip.

YC, you have the ocean to deal with, out here it is just millions of acres of farmland. Even the two big lakes really have no effect on the weather. It gets hot and stays hot, the humidity comes with the south wind.

It is 9:30 and still 92F with the humidex.

People say Wisconsin is for the hardy, or the hardly very smart. I like the climate most of the time, but not when it's over 85 because the humidity is at least that high, too. I've thought of moving north to Duluth but temps 20 degrees F colder put me off. Karin, when I'm asked how I can stand this climate I'll have to tell people that at least it isn't Manitoba. Thanks for putting things in perspective.

That sounds like a date. Earlier to avoid the low water we've had the past two times to get those ports cut. Go the long way around going in and fix those then do the by-pass coming out and get it all done in one trip.
I am at my cabin just south of Lake of the Woods from early May to June so a drive up to Wallace Lake will be easy to work out. Probably bring the heavier sleeping bag. I did this sort of thing in May '13 and '14 and it makes for a great project in the cool temps.

Woot! 101F at 3 pm. Tearing down the green house today, go work for ten minutes, come inside for a half hour, repeat. It will keep heating until the storms arrive later, usually heating doesn't stop until after 5 pm here.

101 with the heat index here but there's a nice breeze so it isn't so bad. Worked in the shop for a while and then portaged the canoe 3/4 of a mile to a large gravel pit behind my house for capsize and re-entry practice. The portage to the pit was much less comfortable than the portage back. Amazing the difference 1/2 hour of swimming makes.

Alan

Topped out at 105 here, now we await the nasty storms that usually come with these days. Tornado weather.

Cold shower is about the same but not as fun as what you did I'm sure. When we are out tripping and it is like this, we swim much to bring down core temperatures when needed. Just a soak for 5 minutes helps a lot.

Drilling holes for grab loops in my wildfire this afternoon. Sweat was dripping off me on to the canoe although for a while I wasn't sure whether it was the heat or the thought of screwing it up. Much less worried after I had done the first one and it looked symmetrical!
For those of us who think in metric we saw 32 Celsius with 15mm of rain last night. My garden is growing faster than we can eat the stuff. Anyone want some kale? Full of Thallium goodness.

You Manitobans will snort at this, and that's OK.

It was in the low 80s in southern Wisconsin today. So of course I turned on the AC. Tomorrow it's supposed to be in the upper 80s.
Did the AC really come on today? Nope. Circuit breakers are OK. Unit doesn't function. When did I find that out? Oh, about 9:00 p.m.
Of course, with a heat wave starting on a Monday you know what electricians will be doing. I called my favorite $90/hour elec/plumbing shop tonight to get on their list ahead of time. I think the guy said something about my being smart. Since I never hear anything like that I'm not sure I recognized the word.

Update: The electrician was here at 10:00 a.m. and fixed one of the outside wires. It was running by 10:30. After over two months of nasty drug side effects, maybe the universe owed me one. And just for that it's gonna take it back. Waiting ....

Last edited:
The bugs are having a Par-tee everyone is here!
Hit 83 in this part of the Adirondacks and its brutal in the woods with black flies AND mosquitoes. The BF are late this year.
On the water they are joined by those delta winged bombers the stable flies
Finally got some warm but it's still comfortable at night and tolerable in the day
Today we move to the Racquette River for some freestyle tripping

With a heat advisory and all that I still went out for a paddle at ELA this weekend. Was crazy warm and no wind so was sweating in the tent at 12midnight :( . Was a hard lesson on how much fun it can be when the heat and humidity combine but I got to be schooled while out checking out the lakes and portages in the wilds! I think a high of 102.2 was quite enough! Still happy I went!

Back