• Happy National Garlic Day! 🧄🚫🧛🏼‍♂️

It's a bird's life.

Reaction score
Driving home from work today I wandered down some back roads, like I to do most days when I'm looking for a slower lane in life. I found that slow lane crawling through quiet villages and farming communities, passing school kids playing carefree in schoolyards rejoicing in springtime weather resplendent in sunshine and puddles, the banner out front of the local church announcing the spring talent show softly undulating in the breeze, a matronly village lady leaning in to a hushed conversation with the town mechanic frowning at whatever is under that aged and shiny hood. Oh, the slow and steady pace of life, like a comforting pulse that flows throughout this world, connecting us to whatever we may have lost but hope to find again. Hmmmm...And then a sudden flash of brown and white slashed across my windshield. I had just enough time to recognize a mourning dove racing inches ahead of a hawk as they both sped from safety to danger from orchard to open field; such is the wild life around us. As gay and trouble free a bird's life appears to be as they sit contentedly on a telegraph wire, it's actually fraught with food foraging and predator avoidance. A constant metabolic fight for survival at all costs, in all weathers and conditions. So much for a slow lane in life.
I've had the privilege and pleasure to have witnessed many different species of birds on canoe trips, doing whatever birds do in their bird lives, while we human troublemakers push through their habitat. Observed eagle nests from below, the chicks safely above within the stick and twiggy fortress while parents screamed aloft on thermals, loon Moms and Dads ferrying chicks tucked on their backs as they scull expertly across deep dark lakes, panicked grouse bursting from cover on portage paths setting our heartbeats racing, osprey gliding above our placid summer lake keeping a keen eye on our travel, and a school marm merganser with fluffy bobbing brood in tow just beyond our bow and just within the safety of the protective shoreline. There have been so many dull and dreary days of path and paddle travel awakened by bill and feather, birds making sudden entrances and departures as we slide through their extraordinary world. A flash and hurry of a hummer coming and going as fast as a thrashing summer thunderstorm on a trail, the brilliance of iridescent glory in it's finest resplendent array, here and gone in a glance. On one trip we tried to paddle closer to a drifting loon, as many people do, only to see it spook and disappear under the black glass of that northern lake. One lake later while we sat quietly admiring the view and up popped another loon right beside us! Thankfully I didn't need to whisper to the kids hush. We sat transfixed as an angry piercing eye froze our human world with fearful wonderment. And when finally the primordial creature plunged beneath the surface with a smooth ploop, we sat quiet and still for some long moments drinking it all in and soaking it all up. The distance between beautifully wild and our tame selves can be measured in the blink of an eye and the depth of time. And then sometimes that distance is spanned not by our own reach but by the grace and strength of wild wizened judgement, as we've enjoyed the raiding antics of grey jays and chickadees feeding from our hands and straight from our fry pans. Wild species made tamer by learned behaviour perhaps, but nonetheless adapted to changing environments. I'd rather a Jay pick at my larder than a black bear. We don't seek to handle or harass any wild creatures on our canoe trips, big or small, timid or terrible. Ferrets, beavers, mice and moose have all wandered through our trips from time to time, but the bird life has visited in quaint and dainty ways; quiet pine siskins perched above scattering seeds into our cooking while they foraged, gothly looking ravens croaking warnings across the campsite from us giving us the chills, nuthatches scratching along tree trunks just safely at the edge of paths, and flotillas of ducks keeping a steady eye on our awkward debarkment from canoe to portage comically quacking their amusement at our human foibles.
But just when some trips become too quiet and lonely, and hours of solitude have shrouded us in a silent cloak, a bird shows up to remind us that we're not alone. We are merely passing visitors in their home, tripping tourists in a wilder world, and I like that. I need reminding sometimes, when I'm feeling comfortably lonely in the slow lane of my life, that there's more to our world than what I can touch and grasp, hold and conquer, see and assume; there's a bird's life beyond me.

Any bird life memories touch your trips?

Last edited:
Lovely stories and lovely thoughts Odyssey. So let's see...magical encounters with animals, subset birds. I remember paddling far up a favorite creek with my black lab and stopping for a break but staying in the canoe. Along comes this big group of Sandhill cranes walking along the bank of the creek and walks right past us just a couple feet from the canoe...everyone calm. I even got some pictures since they hung around a while. That was a nice experience. I remember another time paddling downstream on the Huron River again with the lab, and a bald eagle screams at us from the top of a tree that is on the bluff overlooking the river. Every hair on my body stood on end and the dog gave me that worried look. We continued downstream and the eagle followed us and landed a couple more times where it could just look down and watch us. I can tell you that we both felt the presence of that bird and I can still remember making eye contact. One other time I am out on a different section of the Huron again with the lab and we see and hear a small duck flopping around in the middle of a bunch of lily pads so we go over to help it since it looks like it may be tangled in fishing line. I reach below it with my paddle to see what is snagging it and I end up barely lifting up just one corner of a huge snapping turtle...at first I thought it was a waterlogged stump. It slipped off my paddle and immediately took the duck underwater. After some fishing I was able to lift the edge of the turtle a few more times until it finally let go, and the duck flew away like a little duck bullet. I never did get a decent look at the turtle because of the muddy water and lily pads.

Any bird life memories touch your trips?

Many. Some canoe trips were principally bird watching trips, especially in Blackwater and Prime Hook National Wildlife Refuges, but the memory that first springs to mind occurred during the shuttle ride.

We were paddling on the eastern shore of Maryland and I was driving a back roads shuttle across the flat open terrain, mostly fields of young soybean on either side. I had an English visitor in the passenger seat and he was curious about every bird we saw.

Wots that?
Thats a Great Blue Heron

Wots that?
Thats an Osprey

A lone Grackle appears, flying perpendicular across the road.

Wots that?
Thats a Grackle

The words were no sooner out of my mouth than the grackle folded up in mid flight like it had been shot and smacked in a heap on the pavement ahead.

My English friend inquired, with a slightly puzzled tone, Do they always do that?

On the Albany River in Ontario in 74' we were camped on top of a rock outcropping. One of my partners says, "Duck". I says, "Where?" like I really need to see another one. He repeats rather loudly, "DUCK". I says, "Where?" He then yells, "DUCK" and grabs me by the arm and pulls me down. Apparently a hawk of some kind was dive bombing my head, I had a lot of hair back then and it seemed to be attracted to it! From what the other three guys told is that is missed my head by less a foot. heck, I never saw it! I started wearing a hat after that.

Birds are a highlight on most of the trips I take. I recently posted about the two gulls that landed in my boat as one memorable encounter. Other awesome encounters were when a half dozen or so trumpeter swans flew low over my boat when coming in for a landing, and also when a flock of them on the water start honking and take off right in front of you. As soon as they got airborn their wing beats were syncronized as one. It's always a delight to see loons and their babies. The same pair of them hung out off the point of my campsite for maybe 20 years and it was disappointing when they didn't return one year.

I had made friends with a flock of 18 Canadian geese this fall while back in Pa. I would see them almost daily on my paddles and would try to give them enough space that they didn't have to take off. I would quack like a duck so they knew it was me when I saw them and after a couple months they knew me and barely got exited at all and I didn't have to alter my course much at all. They also would swim past my cottage regularly and duck their heads underwater to eat acorns that fell in from the oaks near shore.

Birds make life better, not just trips.

Not all encounters with birds have been good. It was our first night out in the Everglades and while we were setting up the tent a bunch of vultures got into our bucket of fried chicken. I was lucky that I already had eaten a couple pieces but my wife wasn't very happy.

On the Albany River in Ontario in 74' we were camped on top of a rock outcropping. One of my partners says, "Duck". I says, "Where?" like I really need to see another one. He repeats rather loudly, "DUCK". I says, "Where?" He then yells, "DUCK" and grabs me by the arm and pulls me down. Apparently a hawk of some kind was dive bombing my head, I had a lot of hair back then and it seemed to be attracted to it! From what the other three guys told is that is missed my head by less a foot. heck, I never saw it! I started wearing a hat after that.

That reminds me of the arctic turns that swooped so close to my friends head that they actually pecked him. I called him Pecker Head for the rest of the trip.

On the Albany River in Ontario in 74' we were camped on top of a rock outcropping. One of my partners says, "Duck". I says, "Where?" like I really need to see another one. He repeats rather loudly, "DUCK". I says, "Where?" He then yells, "DUCK" and grabs me by the arm and pulls me down. Apparently a hawk of some kind was dive bombing my head

The closest to coming head to head was sitting over decoys, I hit a wood duck gliding in. Fast little birds, even when nailed dead and hurtling towards your head. I had to, yes, duck, at the last moment and he dang near landed in my canoe. I just reached back, picked him up and looked at my hunting partner like Eh, I meant to do that.

I had a similar hawk swoop. I was a mile out in the bay, nowhere near any marker, post or possible nest site, when a whoosh went over my head from behind, inches above my hat. An Osprey. A ornery Osprey, he swung around for an undisguised frontal attack. I put my paddle blade in front of my face and he sailed past my ear.

Seriously dude, there is no possible nest site within a mile. What is your freaking problem?

The best birding trips have been inadvertent.

One spring trip on the South River in eastern NC. During warbler migration, in the company of a couple skilled birders, which I am colorblind not. Lots of different warblers, but at the peak of the Prothonotary migration.

I have reasons for liking Prothonotarys, and seeing one is always peculiarly exciting. Seeing twothreefour was still exciting. Seeing fiftyseveneightnine in the first hour became less so.

On that same trip, a sow and two cubs up a tree that was leaning well out over the river, which gave new meaning to widow maker. A behr cub done falled in his boat and mama come git after him.

Best of many Florida birding trips was also inadvertent. Driving down Rte 1 to paddle out and see a Shuttle Launch at Cape Canaveral. The launch was scrubbed. Plan B, pull out the Florida Atlas and Gazetteer and look for an out of the way boat launch symbol. Heres one, at the middle of nowhere at the corner of Volusia and Brevard counties.

A wonderland of little inland lakes, sloughs and guts. We could have spent days exploring any point on the compass all within a few square miles. I do not keep a life list, but I added a dozen birds to it that afternoon.

St Johns launch, deep in the marsh, south off Rte 46. Would go back.

We have had the curse of the whippoorwill several times on our trips. It starts around dusk and goes on all night long. I wanted to fire a banger at it one night to shut it up.

At other times we have had Eagles lead us along to a destination and once had him sittingin a tree above our intended campsite waiting for us to arrive. This is of course the Grandfathers keeping an eye on us and helping us find our way.

Dont get me started on the whole goose thing. They can be reaaaaalllys annoying. Smaller flocks are magical, but once they top the 100 bird mark the magic is hard to find.

We often see huge flocks here in the fall, not just Canada's but cranes and snows and even swans. Pelicans too..tons of them.

I did a float on the Assiniboine one spring and was amazed at the variety of bird life. It was a nice trip.

Christy

Any bird life memories

Brad, you have again sent me down memory lane and made me smile.

Early 80s trip to Florida. I brought my tandem canoe, a 15 foot aluminum Wards Sea King, for the girlfriend and I to paddle and do some birding.

We met up in Florida with two young lady friends of hers. They wanted to come along on a canoe trip, so we stuffed four people into the 15 foot Sea King. That is not recommended. We did not have much freeboard, and getting the trim right meant putting her, uh, more robust friend up in the bow.

We headed off on an overloaded marsh trip and, with mere inches of freeboard, I am paddling as gently as possible when we see a brilliant purple bird running across the tops of the lily pads. It skitters across the pads and climbs into a bush on shore. What the. . . . .

Too cool, my first Purple Gallinule. I caution everyone to remain still and ever so slowly and incrementally paddle closer, intently watching the Gallinules every move as I ready my camera.

Until I bumped a sizable gator floating near shore. Which trashed and splashed under the bow with considerable displeasure.

The girl in the bow was a sweet natured soul, a quiet and well mannered young lady. When the gator started trashing about she shouted, and I will beg forgiveness to quote her directly, eff THE BIRD, GET ME OUTA HERE.

I could not immediately comply with her request, I was too busy bent over laughing in the stern. It was worth not getting the photo.

I had an encounter on one of the best and worst canoe trips I ever shared with my wife. We put in just below Hoover Dam to paddle the Black Canyon of the Colorado. Beautiful day, and a magical canyon. We stopped in several canyons to enjoy the desert flowers and hot springs, with the highlight being Arizona Hot Springs. It was the best canoe trip ever.

And then the desert wind cranked up. We were paddling our asses off and barely making headway, trying to make it to Willow Beach and our shuttle. I've never paddled in a wind funnel quite like that canyon. Well, a mallard decides to land next to me and ask for handouts. I told him to scram, I ain't got no food for freeloading ducks. Besides, we were paddling so hard to make headway there was no way I was putting my paddle aside, not even to brush him away. Realizing I got nothing, he starts using those webbed feet of his and ACTUALLY MOVES FASTER THAN THE CANOE, just so he can see if my wife, in the bow, is an easier target. No dice there either.

We did fare quite a bit better than the poor bastid in an inflatable kayak who's paddle broke and who was clinging to some rock to avoid being blown back up the canyon.

There was also that time I was paddling around a marsh with a buddy of mine. We were hugging a wall of cattail at the edge of the pond, making for the entrance to a small backwater area. We reached the backwater area at the exact same instant that a great blue heron was flying out of it. If my buddy hadn't flung himself backward and the GBH hadn't swerved with an indignant "QUORK!", he might have been speared in the head. Fun times.

-rs

Oh yeah, lots....

Like the time I was poling up a local creek and came around a bend, face to face with a great horned owl that was roosting on an overhanging branch. Felt bad about scaring it and interrupting its nap, but that was way cool. Even cooler...Several years ago, I was operating a train at night at about 45mph along farmland. I caught some movement out of the corner of my eye, and turned my head to see another GHO flying beside me just outside my window. It paced me there for about a mile before veering off. If my window had been open, I could have reached out and petted it!

When my son was about 12, we went fishing shortly after ice-out on a mountain lake. There had been an osprey catching fish and hauling them off (to nestlings, I assumed) all morning, and we enjoyed watching it. We watched as it lifted another fish from the water and began to fly back the same direction again, when this bald eagle dropped out of nowhere, wings tucked in like a bomb, flared and rolled under the osprey, and stole that fish from it. It all happened in just a couple seconds, and we couldn't believe we were both looking at just the right time to see it.

Another paddling/fishing trip....right during the western grebe mating season. I got no sleep. They party all night. No respect for the neighbors. :D

A couple years ago, on a day trip on the local river, I came around a bend to a handful of trumpeter swans. Until then, I had only seen pictures and read about them. Huge beautiful awesome regal birds! I doubt that I would have ever been so close to one outside of a canoe.

:D A co-worker of mine actually got his head ripped open by a hawk he never saw coming. We joked afterwards that the bird must have mistaken him for a snake or a rat. :D No offense intended, Doug. ;)

Last edited:
Back