• Happy National Blueberry Pie Day! 🫐🥧

Ist trip with Jake, 6 month old pup - Turtle Flambau Flowage

Reaction score
Hey guys, it has been a long time since I have posted here. I have been working with my pup since March. He is now 7 months old (Vizsla), but we did a trip together on the Turtle Flambeau Flowage with Hogan near the end of July.

sFQEXjF.jpg

Jake has been great on day trips on the back waters of the Wisconsin River as well as local lakes and we romp the timber 5-6 days a week. He is doing really well. I was hoping if he preformed well enough and my knee worked out I could think about real back county trips next year. Well, the dog did great but the knee reminded me about why I have been limited in my explorations.

Anyway, the weather promised Zero point none chances of rain on the put in day ... so naturally we had 15 - 20 mph winds and a thunder storm. The next day, although very hot and humid was sunny and WINDY!! but still we paddled about and explored the timber. We made a quick camp on a point and enjoyed a shore lunch, and shade.

Jake was very well behaved and listened extremely well. he would alert me with a deep quiet wolf every time something invaded our camp ... like a large bird or a squirrel. He calmed down quiet a bit by the end of the second day.

The wind made it pretty cold in the mornings or if one was wet, and Jake loves to swim, so he shivered a lot on this first trip.

VbeoQ1J.jpg

nFXs2uR.jpg

Jake loves the timber and camp life and the evenings were great together. These pics are of the first night spent tripping together.

oqAl0eW.jpg

bIBmgix.jpg

He loves to travel in the canoe settles down right away, he enjoys sleeping in the sun traveling to our next spot.

qke2Sdt.jpg

2ghgI8u.jpg

Since this trip, we have continued to roam the timber and paddle the river to lots of daily adventures. If I start to put things in my truck, Jake sits by the passenger door and begs to be let it for another trip. I love having him as a tripping partner, and I hope my knee will be better by next year so we can get back to those wild places we hold so dear.

Enjoy the last of the tripping season!!

Bob.

Well ... when I posted this, I could see the pictures, now they are gone. Dagnabit. I will try to get the pics to show up.

Bob.

I can see the pictures! Sounds like you're both having fun!

Bob - The photos look fine to me so everything should be OK. As for what they project...you're a lucky guy to have such a faithful paddling companion. I've been without one of my own for 3 years now and I really miss not having that quiet companionship when I go out. Hopefully this will change in the next year or so but until it does, I'll get my satisfaction from looking at photos like yours.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

Bob, that's a good looking dog. Joan and I had a look-a-like Jake when we were first married. I know that shivering well. When we camped we had to pack 3 sleeping bags. By morning, our Jake would be in Joan;s with just his nose sticking out. Also, that's a fine looking stick laying next to your gunnal in one photo. I can't make out what Hogan has in his hands, but whatever it is, he's looking good. We need to get together, drink a beer, and catch up. It's been too long. Farmer

Thanks guys, I guess my work computer must have a block on it. I am glad the pics turned out. Farmer, that paddle has seen a lot of country - on that trip I had used 2 custom sticks, I bet you would recognize them both - as well as Hogans!

I would love to catch up with you and Joan. Cathy and I were talking about you both the other day. I will be in touch.

Bob.

Hogan's got the paddle YOU made in his hands! Paddles great, but I only take it out where there's little to no chance to ding it up on the rocks. It was great to get out with Bob and it would be super great to get together for that beer!!

Great pics Bob...sure make me miss the guy in my avatar.

Bob,

Beautiful pup. My Chessie is remarkably similar in color, just a different hairstyle. I have some eerily similar pictures too from her first trip. It was September for 8 days in the BWCA when she was 6 months old.

Cheers,

Barry

How did your dog like that sleeping pad in the canoe? I have an old one that I never thought of using for that purpose. My dog would probably appreciate it.

Also, it looks like your boat is set up with a paddling thwart? What model Nova Craft is it? Thank you for any information.

Last edited:
Srobocop,

My dog likes the pad, we use it when having lunch on a rock, sleeping in the tent as well as lounging in the canoe. He often enters the canoe very wet and this keeps him from laying in the water.

My canoe is a Nova Craft Pal. It is set up for me to paddle it solo with a kneeling thwart. My friend Hogan in one of the pictures is paddling a Pal as well and he too uses a kneeling thwart. Our boats are made of Kevlar spectra fiber, and is an excellent robust material, well suited to wilderness travel ... But is no longer made and replaced with the Tough Stuff material.

I prefer to trip in my wood canvas canoe however, this Nova Craft Pal has really been a great canoe for me.

Bob.

Hope that knee comes around. We were jigging for trout ten days ago in front of your Windy B. Rock campsite on WCPP's Royd Lake. Already putting together a fly-in to Walking Stick for next July.

Srobocop,

My dog likes the pad, we use it when having lunch on a rock, sleeping in the tent as well as lounging in the canoe. He often enters the canoe very wet and this keeps him from laying in the water.

My canoe is a Nova Craft Pal. It is set up for me to paddle it solo with a kneeling thwart. My friend Hogan in one of the pictures is paddling a Pal as well and he too uses a kneeling thwart. Our boats are made of Kevlar spectra fiber, and is an excellent robust material, well suited to wilderness travel ... But is no longer made and replaced with the Tough Stuff material.

I prefer to trip in my wood canvas canoe however, this Nova Craft Pal has really been a great canoe for me.

Bob.

Thanks for the information, Bob. Hoping to get my dog on a short trip or two this fall. Also, nice pic on the Nova Craft Website.

Hi Bob,
Thanks for posting those pics, really enjoyed them. Your pup looks like a fine canoe companion, I hope your knee improves for next year. I like your packs too..

Thanks for you trip report, I loved seeing it. Great looking vizsla! My vizsla Sophie will be nine this October. We are both having health issues and I've only been out once in the canoe this year. Your report warmed my heart and I do hope to take her out on a camping trip soon. I look forward to sharing it here.

Cary

Cary,

I hope you and Sophie can lick your health issues soon, being on the mend surely gets in the way of all the tinglies we go after in life. I am an ex Hoosier and have a lot of family still there so I love reading posts from folks like you. Heck, My dad used to live in Buck Creek, along with other family members. I grew up in South Bend, and my Uncle used to live in Gary. I lived a while in Plymouth as well.

Anyway, I am doing rehab on my knee and I can canoe for longer durations. My therapists says I may have to not trip in my wood canvas as the weight is not friendly for the knee joint, so I am working hard on my stretches to perhaps change his mind.

Srobocop, thanks for the shout about the pic from Nova Craft. I really do like their boats and my Pal has seen a lot of country.

Robin, there may be better packs, but I think the older canvas style is all I will ever use, they just make me happier looking at them and lugging them on a port. I guess there is just something about them ... I think Jake likes them better too.

Bob.

We've been wanting to hit the Turtle Flambeau for a while, your pictures have inspired us to make some plans to get there and do some paddling. Thanks for sharing. Your dog looks great in the picture sitting up in the green canoe.

Hey Bob, How busy do you think the Turtle Flambeau Flowage would be on Labor day Weekend? I'm looking for 4 day- 3 night trip ideas this coming weekend in the Northern Midwest.

Srobocop,

I think you will be fine, you may want to put in at Murray's Langing as Springstead and Fisherman's landings I believe would be used more, especially by motor boats. Certainly after that weekend, you may have the entire place to yourself. Maybe Hogan will weigh in on this he explores it all the time.

Best of luck, if you go, be sure to post pics!

Bob.

Back