• Happy National Apple Pie Day! 🍎🥧😋

Interesting Family History...

Reaction score
I had no idea when I got into w/c canoe restoration that these canoes were part of my family history, to a degree. My Mother had attended a family reunion a couple years ago and in the home of the relative that hosted was an old w/c canoe. Not just any canoe, but one with history attached from my Mothers side. It was a Durnan canoe.

Excerpts from the Obituary of William Arthur Durnan, the last Durnan to live on the Toronto Islands.

The Durnan's were original residents of the Toronto Islands, going back as far as 1832 when James Durnan, became the lighthouse keeper at the Gibraltar Point Lighthouse. Those duties were assumed from 1854 to 1905 by his grandfather George, who rescued 13 people from shipwrecks. His grandmother Katherine was the first schoolteacher on the island. And Arthur and Helen, his parents, operated a general store at Hanlan's Point.

His service in Canada's Merchant Marine during the war included a three-month stretch in 1942 in the engine room of an American freighter on a hazardous voyage down to Rio de Janeiro and back to the U.S. The crew encountered sabotage and German submarine alarms, and Mr. Durnan contracted a blood poisoning. An avid water skier and adept oarsman, Mr. Durnan worked at a variety of water-related endeavours: as boatman for the Island Yacht Club, with the family boathouse and livery at Hanlan's Point, and running an Island water taxi service with a cousin.

The Durnans ran the family livery and built their own w/c canoes which they rented out. I have a couple of old photo's but there is very little else anywhere of our history aside from the Toronto Archives.

I planted the seed with my Mother in the hopes of getting the last surviving Durnan canoe should the time come that it needs a new home.

Pretty cool Karin. love the photos as well. It's only right that the last one should go to someone who could maintain the family history. Don't be afraid to be a little more assertive when you are obviously the family member that should have it when the time comes. Show the family member who has it some pics of your work and let them know how you feel about preserving it. If you can't have it it would be neat to take dimensions off of it and make a clone. Good luck, Dave

Incredible family history Mihun. Might be worth tracking down some distant relatives to look for any more old forgotten family photos and family tree information. I know I'm only making more work for you, but making a copy of an original Durnan canoe would be a pretty awesome project besides owning an original. Time for a new design logo? Durnan Canoe. Best wishes and good luck Karin.

I remember way back in school when I used to drift off to sleep in History class, mainly because it had no relevance to my life. Since then, I have found history particularily interesting when I have found some connection to my family or place that has importance to me. I have a great fondness for Toronto Island. My dear mother used to take my siblings and myself there when we were kids. We would make an entire day of playing in the water, riding bikes over the entire island, and of course Centerville (the amusement park) that was started way after the pictures posted above. I'm not that old...

Toronto has a very rich history that would be a real shame to be lost. It behooves (is that the correct word?) us all to keep these memories alive. Karin, it would be fantastic to get hold of part of your family history and preserve it. I'd love to see pictures if you can find any, of the inside of that beautiful building and the Duran Canoes you speak of. Please post if you can find them.

The others that posted here are right, even a duplicate of an original would be a fantastic legacy for you. I look forward to seeing the future in the past

Thanks

That is awesome, I'll send the link to my Mom. Much more of her history there. I knew of the Montreal Canadian connection as well, Bill winning the Vezina trophy 6 of 7 years only losing one year to Turk Broda. I grew up with that piece of history.

I know very little of my "history" and would love to fill in some blanks if either you or your mother is agreeable. Being a citizen without a country is getting a little old. My e-mail is katshop@rogers.com. I would love to hear from anyone. Thanks!!

Last edited:
Still waiting to hear from my Mom from an e-mail two weeks ago. Yes, I'm bad, only communicate by e-mail since I live in Manitoba and the family all live in Ontario.

small world -- durnan was ambidextrous, played with two catchers and would toss his goalie stick from hand to hand depending on the play...also wore the C for montreal -- the last goalie ever to do so in the NHL...

Back