• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Inexpensive Water Shoe review

Reaction score
A company called SIMARI sent me a couple of pairs of water shoes to review. They shipped them to me during the winter so I have not used them on a canoe trip yet, however I was in Bermuda recently where I did a lot of beach-combing and kayaking and broke them in. For $20, these are a pretty good shoe to use in and around the water, but not sure how durable they would be in the long run. I'll find out this summer when I head out on some canoe adventures, in the meantime, for what it's worth, here is a little video review I've put together:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1QIqJtwQL8

Cheers
-Wayne

My current go to warm weather water shoes a the water shoe crocs. The weren't expensive, get great traction, and if you leave the strap to the back, you can easily take them on and off to paddle barefoot-like I do.

Testing a water shoe on the beaches of Bermuda, nice gig if you can get it. Ha. But thanks Wayne. Good review.
The hybrid footwear innovations are interesting aren't they? I bought a pair of water shoes eons ago, they were more aptly described as a water slipper. A Canadian Tire special IIRC, and they performed exactly as I expected, draining well and offering protection in the sand and surf. I was surprised how much I missed a sturdier sole for longer walks between beach chair and water. Although there are some who proclaim that getting used to a "freer natural" walk sans sole support is the way to go. You sure use more foot muscles without that solid footbed that's for sure. So while the water sock/shoe/slipper/sandal is a hybrid area worth exploring I'm still staying with another water (running type) shoe for now (Columbia Drainmaker). But it's always good to check out the innovations.

All of the rivers that Kathleen and I have paddled remain cold throughout the summer. We always tripped with neoprene socks (wetsuit booties) inside very inexpensive tennis shoes, which wore out in one or two years. The neoprene socks lasted a very long time. We have recently switched to wearing sandals over the neoprene socks. The sandals are more comfortable on the beach than hiking boots, which we still take for portages.

Back