• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

I'm throwing in the towel

Reaction score
I am now taking a towel in my w/c boats in addition to the sponge that I have historically taken. I found that the towel works better than the sponge for sopping up small amounts of water and cleaning any dirt or fish slime. I also can put it on the floor where I can step on it when getting in the boat with wet feet to sop up that water up before it even wets the floor. It is also a better tool to wipe out any cob webs or give the interior a quick cleaning.

The reason I first took the towel is that I recently started wiping my boat off at the end of my paddling day, so it was already close by. I found this to be a great habit as it only takes a minute or two and my boat is always clean. The towel I take in the boat is about half the size of a bath towel, I can put it on my seat to add some comfort or height or kneel on it in a pinch. I can also put it on the floor in the spot where my paddle blade will be when I set it down in the boat to absorb that water too.

I have a bunch of microfiber towels. Very handy for that sponge off if you have to go through milfoil inspection. And at the end of the paddling day getting any pond scum off prevents stains on the hull. I do have to say that a towel is a messy object when playing dead fish polo.

I threw in the cotton towel years ago. It is fairly absorbent and comfortable but slow drying and packs too large. I don't even like them at the beach. Damp sand traps.
The microfibre cloths of varying sizes have won the day. For kitchen and camp they rule. However I still use a large work sponge for the boat as it's quick to absorb and wring out. It lives tucked in the seat or laying at my feet. But I like your train of thought Al.(y)

After using the cotton towel yesterday on a day trip I am rethinking it for tripping. There were a lot of beaver dam crossings and the towel became soaked quickly and it was harder to wring out than a sponge or probably the sham wow. Once it was soaked there really wasn't a good place to put it. While I think it does a better job cleaning the boat ( than a sponge) it was impractical for removing even small amounts of water.

I'll give the sham wow a try but for now I'm not leaving the sponge at home.

I threw in the cotton towel years ago. It is fairly absorbent and comfortable but slow drying and packs too large. I don't even like them at the beach. Damp sand traps.
The microfibre cloths of varying sizes have won the day. For kitchen and camp they rule. However I still use a large work sponge for the boat as it's quick to absorb and wring out. It lives tucked in the seat or laying at my feet. But I like your train of thought Al.(y)
yup, those microfiber cloths are amazing and get used around camp as much as in the boat, hot pan handle- grab the cloth, leak in the tent- grab the cloth, dirty face or shave time- grab the cloth, need to flag down a wayward party member- grab the cloth, they come in all kinds of neon colours, I'm preferential to bright orange in spring and summer and neon green in the fall.
mine lives tucked into the handle of my 1l vinegar jug bailer, and a big carwash sponge lives crammed inside so I always know where they are and are available with an easy tug.

For many years I have used a sponge encased in microfiber towel material, sort of a far ancestor of the NRS Deluxe Boat Sponge, plus a small microfiber packtowel—both of which (blue) hang from the thwart in front of me and are used to sop-up or dry the boat and equipment. You can barely see both in the bottom of the first picture. Also in the first picture is a small green microfiber hand towel on top to the day bag and wheels, which I use for wiping and washing myself.

SRT with sponge and towel.JPG

I also take a large, thin microfiber bath towel (green), mostly for me, which is drying on the line in the next photo. This was the only towel I brought with me on a seven week, 10,000 mile solo van camping canoe trip across North America in 2004. Holds a lot of water, dries fast, and packs very small. Still take it in my day bag on all trips.

Towel on line.JPG

I think you're right Glenn, a sponge and towel is a good combo. I just cleaned the interior of a boat with one of those cloth covered sponges followed by a wash cloth size cotton towel that I only used after the sponge did its' job.

Oh, BTW I'm no expert but wiping and washing with the same towel might not be such a good idea.🧻

I use a shamwow style towel. It works great for getting water out of the boat, but I have also used one for things like drying off after a swim, drying off my tarp after a night of rain, and to help dry out wet clothing and boots. Great multi-use item.

Stopped using a sponge about 5 years ago and went with a towel. I steal whatever hand towel I think Chick might not realize is missing. I use it for about everything, but on really hot days I like to soak it and wrap it around the back of my neck.

On day one I bring a 16 oz. (or whatever they call it now) Diet Coke and when finished I cut the bottom off, screw the top on with some fishing line tucked in, and I have a baler with a 6lb test handle built in.

I am now taking a towel in my w/c boats in addition to the sponge that I have historically taken. I found that the towel works better than the sponge for sopping up small amounts of water and cleaning any dirt or fish slime. I also can put it on the floor where I can step on it when getting in the boat with wet feet to sop up that water up before it even wets the floor. It is also a better tool to wipe out any cob webs or give the interior a quick cleaning.

The reason I first took the towel is that I recently started wiping my boat off at the end of my paddling day, so it was already close by. I found this to be a great habit as it only takes a minute or two and my boat is always clean. The towel I take in the boat is about half the size of a bath towel, I can put it on my seat to add some comfort or height or kneel on it in a pinch. I can also put it on the floor in the spot where my paddle blade will be when I set it down in the boat to absorb that water too.

2022-07-09 14.14.17 copy.jpg

Oh, I like the towel idea. I use a sponge.

A few days ago, I was sponging water out of the canoe. Although the sponge picks up a lot of water, the task seemed never ending.

I put the sponge in my Mad River in 1987 (or there about). It's held in place with a strip of bungee. It's always there when I need it, it's easy to deploy and easy to stow. And out of the way.

If my seemingly rusty brain can remember to bring a half towel the next time I'm out, I'll give your towel idea a go. I'm not sure where to stow it, however. Thanks for the tip.

I like to use a Sham Wow for this. It holds lots of water, dries fast and is easy to clean. I don't even need the sponge anymore, just lay the SW at my feet for incidental water and wring it over the side if I need to.

Brian

I've never used a towel in my decades of paddling, it has always been a sponge. However this thread got me interested enough to buy a ShamWow and it got a field test today. Spread out on the cockpit floor, it did a remarkable job absorbing stray water, far more efficient at that task than the sponge.

Great tip, thanks

If my seemingly rusty brain can remember to bring a half towel the next time I'm out, I'll give your towel idea a go. I'm not sure where to stow it, however. Thanks for the tip.
I think the half towel is too big and you will have a hard time finding a place to keep it. I have gone with a washcloth size which is much easier to find a place for.

I've never used a towel in my decades of paddling, it has always been a sponge. However this thread got me interested enough to buy a ShamWow and it got a field test today. Spread out on the cockpit floor, it did a remarkable job absorbing stray water, far more efficient at that task than the sponge.

Great tip, thanks
On portage, you can just tie around one of the thwarts or seat member, no need to ever stow it

Back