• Happy National Audubon Day! 🐣🐦🦅🕊️

If you could have only two canoes. . . .

G

Eric asks an interesting question on the Introductions forum, and I hope he doesn’t mind if I reframe it here.

just imagine what kind of set-up you can have with an unlimited budget. What would you get?

Few of us are ever likely to have an unlimited budget, and in such a lottery winner fantasy I might buy the best of everything from pack canoe to downriver day boat to solo expedition tripper to (gasp) a big boy sea kayak.

But, if you could only have two canoes (‘cause one is really not enough), with a budget to support that dream, what would you purchase?

I’ll go. First, my current fantasy canoe, a Keewaydin 16, set up as a factory solo; seat, thwarts and foot brace positioned at my specified locations. With a (custom) Cooke Custom Sewing spray cover.

http://www.swiftcanoe.com/keewaydin-16

And a Clipper Sea-1, with every Clipper factory option; spray skirt, removable yoke, lash system and pads.

http://www.clippercanoes.com/sea-1/

Both outfitted with all of the usual DIY touches; utility thwart and a downwind sail, back band, custom minicel padding, webbing loop tie downs, D-rings and etc.

Of course I would still need a Royalex downriver day paddling boat to beat up on shallow rocky rivers, so I’d have to start saving up for a used MRC Guide or Freedom Solo, or a Mohawk Odyssey 14.

If you could have only two canoes. . . .?

My 2 (+1)
Clipper tripper kevlar --with all the fixings
Dagger Caption kevlar--with 2 saddles, electric bailers, air bags etc
Prospector kevlar--with all the trimmmings (not sure which make)

My 25# Colden Flashfire-maneuverable, light and fun. and 30# Colden Nomad-great lake canoe that eats up miles and is beautiful.

My 15' Chestnut Chum and 16'Chestnut Cruiser wood canvas, and if I could have 3 I'd take another Chum.

Well, Santa McCrae can ask me what I want for Christmas but I aint sitting on his knee.
I need a Nova Craft Pal 16' in the Blue Steel layup. A symmetrical tough tripper suits me as both a tandem and a solo. An easy sub 50 pounds I can still handle. Which brings me to my second choice of gifts the elves can wrap, a Nova Craft Cronje 17' also in the Blue Steel layup. Another not too heavy tandem to solo on occasion (IMO). And since I've been a VERY good boy this year I deserve a 3rd gift if you can fit it under the tree. I need a canoe & motor for kickin' back and kickin' round a nice northern lake I love. There are plenty of campsites to choose from that are easily accessible with a dreamboat like this.

Last edited:
I’m not so fussy about the canoe(s) as the place I get to paddle. It should be beautiful and have enough space to get away from the crowd. I’d rather paddle the old aluminum canoe my dad bought when I was 8, in a nice location, than paddle the best canoe in a big mud puddle.

My 15' Chestnut Chum and 16'Chestnut Cruiser wood canvas, and if I could have 3 I'd take another Chum.

You beat me to it Robin, I was going to say "two 18' wood canvas Old Town Guides";)

I would need three boats, the OT Guide for pleasure, a Bell Saliga Tripper for portaging trips, and a tandem that will handle up to class III ww that I can bounce off rocks.

I love my Hemlock "Peregrine" and so I could continue having an option for paddling with my wife, a tandem from a reputable maker; be it a niche operation or mainstream. Still enjoy paddling our tandem We-No-Nah "Sundowner" but would look for something a bit lighter now that I officially qualify for Medicare ;)

That's all for now. Take care and until next time....be well.

snapper

So if you could only have 2 you would have 3! First time I've liked new math.

My 2 (+1)

My if I could have 3 I'd take another Chum.

I would need three boats, the OT Guide for pleasure, a Bell Saliga Tripper for portaging trips, and a tandem that will handle up to class III ww that I can bounce off rocks.

I knew two canoes were not enough. Y’alls as bad as me.

Been thinking about this and I think I already have them both:

20160729_001 by Alan, on Flickr

20170409_003 by Alan, on Flickr

I'd be happy paddling just the Bloodvein for about anything. The Barrens will be nice if my back ever heals up enough for another long northern lake/river trip. All the other canoes are fun to have but I could live without them.

That's Jim Dodd modeling the Barrens with Sadie.

Alan

I would have my Millbrook Prowler with triple outfitting and my Hellman Slocan... I would still love a WC canoe, so maybe Robin's second chum......

Two is hard. If I could only have one, I think I could lead a meaningful life with just my OT Penobscot 16, but it probably wouldn't be one of my two. With two I'd want solo + tandem, kevlar + royalex, downriver + flatwater, and that would be over quota. I give up.

I don't require a lot in a canoe so if I had to cut my fleet down to two I'd keep my 16' Prospector and my 17' Souris River Quetico. I can put 4 of my family on the water and still have a solo when I wanted to go alone.

If I could only have one, I think I could lead a meaningful life with just my OT Penobscot 16, but it probably wouldn't be one of my two.

Same here, if I could keep only one do-everything boat that I currently own it would be my soloized Penobscot.

Agree with goonstroke, I can't get it down to two but if I could only have one I could be happy for a long time with just a Peregrine or an Osprey or a Shearwater or a black/gold Yellowstone Solo. But then again I've never paddled a Chum.

Back