• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

How to waterproof this ditch bag

Reaction score
I have been using a ditch bag like this one for 30+ years. The old one was worn out and attempts to buy new ones have not been successful. The newer ones are not really waterproof. I can't find them anymore.

I'm posting a picture and am asking for advice on how to waterproof this item.

I have tried (on another one) tent seam sealer and spray on waterproofing products. These did not work.

Suggestions greatly appreciated. IMG-5098.jpg

usually trying to rewaterproof is futile.. The liner gets brittle and nothing sticks.. The best I can offer is line with a gallon zip loc ( or double up with two zip locs. A small dry bag may fit too. I don't think those ditch bags are made anymore, which is a shame.

I suppose I use my thwart bag similar to a ditch bag. I just make sure everything that goes in it is waterproof(ed) and let the bag get wet.

Alan

If the fabric is porous forget it. If you are trying to seal the seams then you'll need to turn it inside out and use Seam Grip all around the perimeter seams and on any stitching. Really your best options is to put stuff in waterproof bags or buy a new one

You can't get them anymore. Or at least I cannot find them.

I'll go with the double-bagging the contents if I can't further waterproof it.

Bothwell, I'm not sure how to tell if it is leaking at the seams or through the fabric. Can you give me some hints?

Alan, I wear this ditch bag all the time, except when inside the tent sleeping. It doesn't hold much, but it holds the essentials. I have read too many stories of people getting lost leaving camp for just a minute to not have it attached to me at all times.

You can't get them anymore. Or at least I cannot find them.

I'll go with the double-bagging the contents if I can't further waterproof it.

Bothwell, I'm not sure how to tell if it is leaking at the seams or through the fabric. Can you give me some hints?
Fill it with water and squeeze gently, see where water comes out

Johnny, what is the ratio of silicone to mineral spirits?

Erica, if you have already tried using tent seam sealer and spray to re-waterproof the bag it probably isn’t worth buying silicone and mineral spirits to make the DIY concoction of the same stuff.

I’m with Yellowcanoe and Bothwell Voyageur, just use a liner bag.

To answer your question about the mix ratio it depends on the desired thickness of the sealant, and what/where you are applying it. For a really thick seal, somewhat akin to Aqua-seal, for something like leaky mukluks, 50/50 may work best. For sealing tent of tarp seams more mineral spirits/less silicone is better.

When (if) you make the mix you can easily adjust the desired thickness. I highly recommend making a zip-tie stir stick.

P6230942 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

I did a production run and seam sealed every old tent and tarp we own.

https://www.canoetripping.net/threads/refurbishing-a-favorite-old-tent.81619/

The talcum power is superfluous.

Bunch of DIY tent footprints in that 2018 thread as well.

How to water proof leather gloves

I have only done this method one time and only tested under the faucet but I think this is going to be my preferred way of treating my gloves. There have been several threads on how to seal a tarp and I had some leftover sealer.

What you will need:

Leather gloves:

Clear Silicone Calk: I use “kitchen and bath Silicone ultra. White lighting W21101010” available at Menards OR Mainstays brand sold at Walmart.

Camp fuel: You can also use low odor mineral spirits but the smell goes away with camp fuel but not with mineral spirits.

Old tin can to mix it in and stick.

Erica, aside from using a liner bag or using waterproof containers - and I don’t know how much storage volume you need - there are wearable, waterproof fanny packs, made with better designs and more modern materials.

Maybe not a $400 Watershed waist pack, although buy once, cry once. I expect that watershed bag has a waterproof zipper as well as a roll top, and is absolutely waterproof.

https://www.drybags.com/product/airborne-waist-pack/

There must be a decently waterproof fanny pack that isn’t custom carbon paddle expensive.

BTW, somewhere we have that exact, same color, same mesh pouch, never used waist worn ditch bag. I’ve looked, and looked repeatedly. If I ever find it it’s all yours.

Mike, you are so sweet.

A larger pack has a tendency to migrate away from one’s body.

This pack has the minimum: compass, bic lighter, tinder, whistle, tea bag, heavy duty garbage bag. I always have at least one knife on me. Not all encompassing, but it never leaves my waist, unless I’m in a tent or sleeping bag.

Thanks to everyone for your input.

I do double bag the items, (always) but when the inside gets wet, it is difficult to dry out the bag, even if the contents stay dry.

Back