• Happy Marine Mammal Rescue Day! 🐳🐬🦭🦦

How is your winter so far?

-13F here this morning and for a couple more it looks like? And for anyone clamoring for snow; send me an address and i’ll ship you all you’d like!
Yes please, East Tennessee. We just don't see snow very much anymore. Just cold, grey gloomy and wet outside.
Another 2 months and it'll be camping and canoeing time.

Five days ago, our neighbour to the east put down a skidoo track along our lake, on which there are only five houses. He grew up on Lomond Lake (originally Loch Lomond) and he says he likes to be the first skidoo out every winter. Kathleen and I also like him to be the first. For the past four days we have enjoyed walks of approximately one mile (1.6 km) along the southern boundary of our property. So nice to see the sun glistening off the ice.

IMG_1375.jpeg

Shadow, our Siberian Husky, is not keen on stopping to enjoy the moment. He prefers to keep moving. Very pleasant weather at four o’clock this afternoon. No wind. Minus 6 C (+21 F).

IMG_1376.jpeg

@Alan Gage, is that the Des Moines River or a lake?

That's Cunningham slough from the front door of my house. It's part of the much larger Ingham/High/Swan Lake complex here in NW Iowa which is a pretty special area considering how little public land there is in Iowa, especially larger contiguous tracts. A mix of interconnected shallow lakes and sloughs with nice oak forests and restored prairies.

Despite being only 2 miles from the Des Moines river there is a height of land to the west of High lake that forces the water to travel NE and it takes a much longer and more circuitous route to finally reach the river much farther south.

Alan

The insanity continues. I expect the lakes and sloughs around my house to be completely open within 5 days. This is 3 weeks ahead of the earliest I can remember, more than 1 1/2 months ahead of a 'normal' winter and over 2 months ahead of a long one.

20240210_150637.jpg

I was out yesterday for a couple hours and the local river 1/2 mile from my house (30 miles south of Milwaukee) was ice-free other than in a few small backwater areas. It was a very short season for the snowmobilers who use the river as a highway to various nearby bars.

So far not fun, but luckily presidents week coming up soon here in NY and the temps are dipping with maybe 4-7" of snow predicted. Going to get the Snowtrekker out after 2 years ( missed because of knee replacement, recalled last year) and check out some Western Catskills and Columbia county NY. only a few days but will enjoy the peace and quick and beauty. Now let's see which toys to bring along. :)

I am in the process of putting up a new log cabin at my get-a-way cabin at the top middle of MN. With the mild winter I have gone up three times to process floor and roof planks with my Granberg Alaskan Mill. Last week temps were +20 to +45 with 8 inches of snow on the ground. The third session of perfect weather to be chainsawing up lumber. That is twice the amount of snow I have seen on most of the drive up. Marginal ice on the lakes and little frost in the ground up there.

So far, this winter has been great WRT to heating my house, but terrible for any snow related activities.
I skied on Friday in southern VT, only 5 ft of snow all season thus far, with many thaws and icing in between. Temps in the 40's, at least the snow was soft .
In the pic below, there's usually about 3-4 ft of base, not this year. Lots of exposed rocks, deadfall logs, open water...oh, well, just keeps me from sleeping on the way down.

IMG_5125.JPG

So far, this winter has been great WRT to heating my house
Ain't that the truth! I've heated strictly with wood for the last 12 years but this last summer I installed a mini split in my house. It doesn't really work under 25 degrees but that hasn't been much of an issue this year. I had to run wood 24/7 for a couple weeks but otherwise I've mostly been enjoying the convenience of the mini split. I don't think I've loaded the stove in over 2 weeks now.

Alan

My son is getting to build his new house, he asked how deep the frost is...
I checked on Mesonet, all around us in the Capital District, soil temps are 33 to 37F!!
I'm a lifelong resident, and I've never seen a winter without frost in the ground.
One year, 1981, our neighbor's water line from well to house froze---it was 52" below grade.

The previous two winters were catastrophic for our wildlife and for the citizenry but this year is very mild with only a foot of snow....BUT, last week my thermometers bottomed out and I had to bring the brass monkey in off the lawn. We had a couple days of -60F.

Finally able to get out skiing for the first time this year. Warm and sunny, so the snow turned into mashed potato's. Good way to twist something.

Steelhead fishing has been slow. Our local guy who fishes every single day going back years, just caught his 70th fish last Thursday. Normally he is solidly in the low 200's by now. Not many steelhead, but some good sized lake-run browns have moved in to consume eggs. A few in 7-8 lb range have kept things interesting.

I raked my lawn on Saturday, maybe mow next week for fun.

Finally able to get out skiing for the first time this year. Warm and sunny, so the snow turned into mashed potato's. Good way to twist something.

Steelhead fishing has been slow. Our local guy who fishes every single day going back years, just caught his 70th fish last Thursday. Normally he is solidly in the low 200's by now. Not many steelhead, but some good sized lake-run browns have moved in to consume eggs. A few in 7-8 lb range have kept things interesting.

I raked my lawn on Saturday, maybe mow next week for fun.

Finally some snow here 30 miles east NYC, heavy and wet. App 4-6”

Attachments

• IMG_7546.jpeg
    IMG_7546.jpeg
    160.6 KB · Views: 5
Our winter has been disappointing. We’ve shoveled twice and only have three ski days locally. We really pushed the conditions two of those days.

We’ve chased some snow around the Great Lakes region, but it’s been excessively warm.

Our snow pack is gone ... my 3 plus miles of snow shoe trail ... vanished. Bulbs are starting to wake up ... perfect weather for my firewood production season ... until today. 3 inches of heavy wet yuk! Slush everywhere and temps will slowly sink into the 20s for a couple days, which will turn it to ice if not removed promptly. Next week looks warm - 40 degrees F ... what a spastic winter.

Bob.

Snow total is down 60 inches in Syracuse! I've seen grass all winter. We only has one significant snowfall which melted within days

Back