• Happy National Blueberry Pie Day! 🫐🥧

How far have you paddled in one day???

Counting only solo paddling, and sans any portaging, the longest mileage days I have had were 30+ mile (50km) days on the Green, but those were more like 9am to 4pm days, with the current but into the wind, and stopping at each side canyon along the way to search for the perfect welcoming campsite.

I’ve done a 19 mile (30 km) afternoon on a lake in low winds in less than 5 hours of actual paddling with two short breaks. It was the start of a trip and the distance was necessary. I was first-day fresh, and that was enough for me.

Fasted speed sustained over flatwater distance, 12.5 miles in 3 hours. That was little fun more than enough.

All of that is rat race antithetical to me. I would much prefer not to rush. I do not like campsite races in high traffic areas. But, best not to challenge me; I may be old, but I’m durable.

I prefer to take my time, to pause, to stop, look and listen, soak in some of the place and time. Even on my familiar home waters it is never the same river twice, and I want to take the time to be there now and appreciate it.

With the right companions in the right place, muckled up together in an eddy every couple miles we may not top 2pmh over the course of a day. Works for me.

I prefer to take my time, to pause, to stop, look and listen, soak in some of the place and time... and I want to take the time to be there now and appreciate it.

That is our slo-mo modus operandi.
In September we cut our trip short, because windy weather and an occupied site convinced us to go visit family nearby instead of two more days tripping . We hadn't made any plans B, C...To avoid winds we broke camp at dawn and left just as the sun crested the trees, maybe 8am? Maybe later. We wear no wrist watches. I said we'd take it easy and see how it'd go. If we make the distance to the take-out before the winds pick up then fine. If not there're sites to choose from, and we'd leave tomorrow. Or whenever. (Nice thing about Crown Land camping.) As it was the lake was calm and conditions beautiful. I only followed the map to see where we were and where we were going, not how far we'd been. Out of curiosity I checked the time arriving at our vehicle. We'd covered 15kms that morning. Unhurried and relaxed, stopping for photos and water, a stopover at a point of land along the way. I felt encouraged that we could easily do some distance if we chose to AND do some exploring along the way. She felt encouraged that we could do that AND stop at noon.
I guess that's a win-win.
My only disappointment was I never thought to rig up a sail. That would've been fun and relaxing, as we had a light tailwind. But the downside of that would've been finishing the trip sooner. Maybe no sail was the best thing after-all.

Last edited:
Back in 1974 and the end of a month long trip on the Albany River we did something like 70 miles, had great current and the days are long that far north. Plus we had been paddling for almost 3 plus weeks and were cranking. That was tandem. Paddling our boats solo with my paddling buddy Hal we managed 30 miles in one day. We were both a basket case trying to make camp. Both felt like wet rags or limp noodles, take your pick. All I know is I slept good that night.

Like Mike, slowing down to soak up the quality of the place pays off in the long run... there were high-mileage trips in the past where large portions of individual days are blacked out now because nobody took the time to stop or slow down to notice. Can't remember a thing now, looking at a map and trying to recall what that place was like.

Now that I'm older and dumber, stopping for a moment or two, or an hour or two, helps it all sink in... it helps too, to focus on some higher-quality places to paddle in, hoping that the choice will pay off with something good. And very true, it is never the same river twice... favorite spots become favorites because they're worth returning to.

Enough babble, back to looking at maps, Gawd knows when I'm going to have the time to go there...

I'm like Mike too, I really like to take my time. On a river trip, I really like staying at the same spot for a day or two and relaxing, exploring.... If it is a nice spot, one with a view and if the weather is good... I'd rather travel if the weather is not good.

Can't recall flatwater or downriver, but I did 27 miles upstream with one portage a couple years ago. Been wanting to get someone to go with me the day of the full moon in June down the Kennebec from Waterville, ME to the Sea Dog Brewpub in Brunswick. 50 miles. Seems someone's always getting married that weekend though. [Scooter you gonna have that Bell Mystic ready for me?]

We used to regularly do the 50km/ 9 port trip into Leaf Lake to start most of our trips...and end them too. Now we break that in half. In fact. my recent trip was like 5km / 1 port. I go slow and take my time but its not from any need to absorb the ambience. It has more to do with being still breathing when I am done. I tend to paddle the same routes too so a lot of it is familiar. New routes I like to explore for sure. Rest days are a must with me. Or short days. Or all the above.

Brad, I got over the whole togetherness thing ages ago, me time works just as good. I find I am less aggravating that way too. You can always take the canoe and paddle around solo too eh....fishing, sploring, whatever you like. I did a night paddle last week that was really cool. Miranda can read...you go fishing, or take pictures....build camp appliances...fish pond, fridge etc. As you may have noticed, WE fish. Pretty much constantly. Often we even catch stuff.

Christy

Yeah, I go out for a short solo when winds allow such foolishness (lol). I like exploring that way. I should do it more.
Miranda is giving her e-reader a good workout on trips; and I actually got well stuck into a good book on our last trip. Snug as a bug in a rug, I was windbound in our tent actually enjoying the downtime from paddling. I may also have to take another crack at that fishing thing.

Wow you guys put me to shame! My longest day is just 10 miles on a lake, but it's certainly motivating to read about some of the bigger days you guys have put in.

Paddled the Connecticut River from South Pittsburg NH to Long Island Sound in 9 days a couple years ago. Total distance 386 miles, first day was only 8 miles, had to drive from home in CT to near the Canadian border to start the trip. It's not like your moving so fast in a canoe that you can't see the sights, I took lots of pictures, got out to stretch the legs etc. but I did travel 10+ hours or so a day. Lots of portages on that river too, around a dozen or so power dams, longest portage is 2 miles ( most dangerous portage I ever did,had to cross a 4 lane highway).

Two springs ago in the BWCA we made it from Kekekabic to the east end of Seagull in 8 hours. Something like 18 or 20 miles (30-32 km) of flat water with 12 portages totaling 312 rods (according to the Fischer map). I've traveled farther on rivers but that push was the most memorable and what I am most proud of. I was with a good friend, paddling tandem, with the then-94# canine and a limit of trout on 7-day-old ice. Double portaging certainly slowed us down. We stopped at the last portage for a snack as the last of the light faded and it made for a wonderful, star-lit crossing among the loons on Seagull.

Back