• Happy Marine Mammal Rescue Day! 🐳🐬🦭🦦

Homemade Kids Canoe Pack

Reaction score
Wanting to get my son involved in our planned summer trip, we worked together on another project - a homemade canoe pack. My boy wanted two important features to him. A pocket in the front to slip in paper for drawing stuff (he likes drawing maps) and some way to hold a blanket roll on top. This was because he saw a backpack like this being used in favorite cartoon show at the moment, Kung Fu Panda.

We had some surplus blanket material left over from making a father & son set of wool tripping sweaters. In the end there was enough to make a box style pack (dimensions = 15" h x 11" w x 6" d ) and basically decided to mimic the style and function of my own Woods 200 pack. The seams are hand stitched but since this will be a light duty pack seeing occasional use, they should hold up fine. Of course it isn't waterproof but I've got an unused drybag that should fit nicely on the inside to keep contents from getting soaked. Some leather straps and roller buckles left over from an unsatisfactory attempt at making snowshoe bindings were reused here. Below are some photos of the pack stuffed with clothes and other stuff to give it shape.
KV%2BWool%2BPack%2B18_rs.jpg

KV%2BWool%2BPack%2B14_rs.jpg

Like the Woods packs, the side panels extend up a little to form flaps. Some grommets and paracord tie them together to partially secure the load. A large square of scrap blanket was sewn on the interior of the front side to form the slip pocket.
KV%2BWool%2BPack%2B5_rs.jpg

The long straps can be crossed over when closing like the first photo or be used to secure something on top. Here is a fleece blanket roll that we used for the photo.
KV%2BWool%2BPack%2B7_rs.jpg

For anyone that might be interested, I sort of adapted the online tutorial on making a canvas pack from this link here:
http://www.canoecanadaeast.com/do-it-yourself-canoe-portage-pack.htm

That pack will be a prized possession by your young tripper gentleman long after he's outgrown it. Thanks Murat for the very cool project; and the link to the canvas pack one as well. Best wishes for your summer trip.

Have always loved home made things. My Mom sewed a lot of what I grew up in.
I would ask her to sew heavier cloth and was told no because her machine wouldn't handle it. Wish I would have pursued it more !

Nice work ! And your son has a prized possession there for sure !

Jim

Looks real nice, your son should be very proud of his own pack.

"Some leather straps and roller buckles left over from an unsatisfactory attempt at making snowshoe bindings were reused here."

So, Murat is human...nice work as always

Wanting to get my son involved in our planned summer trip, we worked together on another project - a homemade canoe pack. My boy wanted two important features to him. A pocket in the front to slip in paper for drawing stuff (he likes drawing maps) and some way to hold a blanket roll on top. This was because he saw a backpack like this being used in favorite cartoon show at the moment, Kung Fu Panda.

Nicey done, I expect that will be a treasured piece of gear.

Have always loved home made things. My Mom sewed a lot of what I grew up in.
I would ask her to sew heavier cloth and was told no because her machine wouldn't handle it. Wish I would have pursued it more !

I still have some things sewn by. . . . .my father. He was a sailmaker in the Navy and a whiz at any kind of hand or machine stitchery*. Throughout his lives and wives he was the one with the pricey heavy-duty sewing machines.

*And square knotting (today, macramé). Not just splicing the end of a rope, but making knotted patterns. The “chain” on my pocket watch is a knotted spiral helix. The process was amazing to watch; he would hold four to eight lines in his fingers, all tied off at one end, and too-rapidly-to-follow flick and flash his fingers as a lengthening knotted pattern emerged.

I briefly learned how to do that using two lines per hand, after considerable insistence that he slow down so I could follow along, but have long since forgotten how.

That skill would have been a fun party trick, but I really wish I had learned at his sewing knee.

Dammit Murat, I feel a sewing spell coming on; I have some bits and pieces that need attention.

Murat, as usual, you did great on that project! As far as hand stitching, they are as good as a machine stick if done properly...

You are definitely doing your part to introduce the next generation to wilderness travel. How nice that the outside pocket is for paper and pencil and not an electronic device.

Ok, now I feel the nee dot pull out that roll of red Cordura and make a pack for me and one for my daughter... So many things to do, so little time...

Back