• Happy National Blueberry Pie Day! 🫐🥧

Hi from Iowa

Reaction score
I'd like to introduce myself.
Since before I could ride a bike, My favorite bathtub toy was a red plastic canoe. At least according to my Mom !

Canoeing, and especially building canoes, has been a passion that has filled my life with joy and pleasure !

I'm working on building my 21st canoe, a cedar strip solo. I also plan to paddle this solo canoe around home and in the BWCA this year.

Looking forward to making friends who also enjoy building and the great outdoors!!!
Jim

Last edited:
Welcome Jim!!
There are quite a few builders here...If you're from Iowa, you must know Alan Gage;);)
Any photos of your boats?

Stripperguy
I haven't met Alan in person. After reading a few of his posts, I'm looking forward to our meeting !
He's got canoe building down pat !

Thanks everyone !

Jim

Last edited:
Hey, I think that makes three of us Iowans on the board now. We're getting to be a pretty strong contingent! Welcome aboard.

Alan

Well maybe we can get together and form a LOBBY !! Coax the DNR, or the Governor To quit making us put these horrible numbers on our pretty canoes !
I'm just about in riot mode now ! HA ! That lasted for about 30 seconds.

Seriously we need to hook up ! We can wait until things thaw out and make a paddle event out of it !

My shop is in Humboldt on the West Branch Des Moines.

Jim

My shop is in Humboldt on the West Branch Des Moines.

Jim

And mine is in Estherville on the West Branch of the Des Moines. Come spring I'll send you a message in the bottle. I won't hold my breath awaiting a bottle in return.

Alan

Or you could just hop in a canoe, and float down ! Once you make it around the dam in Humboldt, count the bridges, make a hard right after the second bridge, and you will be so close !

Jim

Hope I can add something, but Alan has a great handle on things !
It's great that we canoe builders are so willing to share ! I think it's because we want to see others addicted the way we are ! HA !!

Jim

Back