• Happy National Garlic Day! 🧄🚫🧛🏼‍♂️

Help with Hawk Vittles

Backpack Gourmet is also available in some libraries. Linda had a book prior to Backpack Gourmet called High Trail Cookery. Looking at both you can see the evolution in her recipes as well.

Late last night I placed an order with Hawk Vittles for 4 double dinners. This afternoon I got a notice that the order had been shipped. Since they make up orders as they come in - it isn't just a matter of pulling something off the shelf - this is incredible service. But it's what I've become accustomed to from HV.

Absolutely right on 'service'... I frequently (but not always) have my order shipped to my parents' home or to one of my brothers-in-laws homes in NY state, not my home here in LA, since most of my longer trips are taken up there... A lot of places won't do that due to fear of credit card fraud or "it's too hard to keep track of it." I've got 4 destinations, and Hawk only messed that up once, several years ago, while he was training a new employee to help, and it's never happened again.

Packed out (no boat) again on Saturday and tried some Lasagna this time.

High heat for about 5 min, simmer on low for about 10-15 min, and let sit for another 5 min.

Started off with water at food level, added another splash during simmering.

Final result was creamy and al dente. Was the best I've eaten from Hawk so far.

Last edited:
Thanks for this update! I just got 4 double dinners from them and will try your method in a few weeks.

I've been eating HV for several years now - they are indeed true to serving size. And yes, this is a tandem trip.

Back