• Happy Birthday, Simon Fraser (1776-1862)! 🧭🏞 4️⃣9️⃣

Help IDing a canoe

Reaction score
Good evening all. Trying to ID a canoe off the few photos I have been sent. It is currently listed on Craigs List, and started out a few weeks back at $500, now he is down to taking offers. It does need some work, a few new ribs, some planking replaced, and canvas; however, nothing that appears to be to far out there. I know the photos are not much to go off of, and i have requested a few more, along with the width at the center.

Therefore, a few questions, is there a good read on re-doing a WC canoe? Where is the best place to get the filler and copper tacks? Any idea what I am looking at here?

Thanks in advance for any and all comments.
Bryan

Attachments

• photo5127.JPG
    photo5127.JPG
    425.1 KB · Views: 0
  • photo5128.JPG
    photo5128.JPG
    453.8 KB · Views: 0
  • photo5130.JPG
    photo5130.JPG
    594.3 KB · Views: 0
  • photo5131.JPG
    photo5131.JPG
    622.6 KB · Views: 0
  • photo5133.JPG
    photo5133.JPG
    379.9 KB · Views: 0
Where is the boat located, that may help a bit. Curved decks and rawhide seats, could be Canadian built, possibly a Huron, maybe Chestnut. Difficult to say from the few photo's. Decks, stems, thwart photo's would help narrow it down. Best book on w/c canoes would be this... http://store.wcha.org/The-Wood-and-Canvas-Canoe.html

We get our brass tacks at Lee Valley but there are other sources. We make our own filler but it is available from other builders as well.

Looks like there are a bunch of ribs to replace. You would need a source for white cedar for that.

Robin is likely your best source for US based businesses to furnish the bits and pieces needed.

Karin

THanks for the reply. It is listed as a barn find in Columbus Ohio. If Comumbus is anything like the Indianapolis area, these are all transplants. I have requested photos of the decks, hopefully they will come through.

Is white cedar required for the ribs, or will red cedar work?

Red would work as well, just look different. Doesn't bend quite as easily as white but with a soak and decent steaming it should be just dandy.

If you scroll up to Robins 16 foot OTCA thread and look at the planking width and general shape of the boat it looks to be an old town of sorts. If you can get a serial number that would be great. WCHA has access to the Old Town data base and they can tell you when a boat was made and the type, if it is an Old Town.
If the price is not too steep, this one looks doable.

Christy

The seats, crude thwarts, carry thwarts, decks, thin rib ends, outwales, and wide planking near the sheer suggest a Quebec builder (there were quite a few with similar styles), maybe Huron as indicated above. They are kind of rough and thrown together but are nice utilitarian paddling canoes.

Last edited:
Deck mysteries are always interesting but it doesn't look Old Townish (even OTCA) to me.. Better pic? If you could find a number probably on a stem band that might help.. Decks look post 1922 Chestnut to me. Low sheer also suggests Chestnut but more info and digging needed.

Yes, I agree excellent for a new to wood canvas restorer, easy to understand information, well written with helpfulpics.
I have taken caning workshops from Pam Wedd.. several times. I forget how to start.. and this book is a godsend to me.

Thanks everyone for the insight. Now to see how low he will go and get spousal approval.

It pains me when I read this ..too often. I just wonder where women's priorities are.. Do you already have a green canoe? If so put it next to the existing one. It might look more like one big fat canoe....

Back