• Happy National Telephone Day! 🔔☎️📱📶

Help deciding on a solo tripping canoe design

I like the lines on the Raven ! Good Choice ! If Mem says you can pole it ! I'd go for it !

Ya, the Skilsaw Rocks for cutting Strips !

Looking forward to your build !

Jim

Old post and I know that the canoe has already been built. My question for builder is do folks think the Raven can be built as a composite using the cedar strip hull as mold? Or is Is that shouldered tumblehome likely to get hung up and make for problems getting it off the mold?

alsg, While I haven't built a Raven, I did build a sharp shouldered Kite, as a composite copy of my own wood strip Kite. I think the Kite shape is even more challenging than the Raven. I left my stems open, and removed the hull from my plug (the red Kite) a day or two after wet out, just to take advantage of the softer, not full cured epoxy. I had only a little trouble to remove the hull, mostly due to the short time since carpal tunnel surgery. If I had two normal strength hands at the time, it would have been a cake walk.

Built a composite, using a Bell Nexus ( White water hull) as the male mold.

Absolutely no problems removing the hull from the mold. Just leave the ends open.

IMG_3013_zpshv7ddaul.jpg - Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3013_zpshv7ddaul.jpg Views:	0 Size:	313.9 KB ID:	125945

IMG_3013_zpshv7ddaul.jpg - Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3013_zpshv7ddaul.jpg Views:	0 Size:	313.9 KB ID:	125945

I built this for a friend. I had the royalex hull, that served as the male plug.

Starting on the inside. 5 oz Kevlar, one partial 6 oz rather open weave carbon fiber, another 5 oz Kevlar, and a 6 oz S-glass.

I didn't weigh it, as we riveted on the trim, and minutes later it was gone. All I know he was happy !

We are still looking for ends caps.

A Correction is in order !!! I have an additional 6 oz S-glass layer on the inside !!

For a total of four complete layers and a partial.

Last edited:
I built this for a friend. I had the royalex hull, that served as the male plug.

Starting on the inside. 5 oz Kevlar, one partial 6 oz rather open weave carbon fiber, another 5 oz Kevlar, and a 6 oz S-glass.

I didn't weigh it, as we riveted on the trim, and minutes later it was gone. All I know he was happy !

We are still looking for ends caps.

Any foam or other stiffeners?

I need to make a correction to my lay up !

I have an Additional 6 oz, S-glass layer on the inside.
So four layers and an partial layer.

No Foam. Hull was plenty stiff !

I also wetted each layer, one at a time !

Back