• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Hello from Ottawa, Ontario Canada

G

Hey all!

Just stumbled across this forum recently, however it would have been nice to know about it earlier! I've been exposed to canoeing my whole life, but unfortunately it took me a good chunk of my life before I was able to really appreciate the craft. Recently I said goodbye to rentals, and purchased my first canoe. I've been scouring used ads for over 5 months and finally pulled the trigger on a Swift Algonquin 15' for a fantastic price. As 'recreational' as they say this canoe is, it handles like a dream! I think this will be the only canoe I'll need for a good long time.

I came to the forums looking to improve my skills and knowledge of canoes, and to share experiences and ideas with like-minded people. One of my goals in the next couple years will be to build a full size birchbark canoe. Still working on scale models at the moment.

Unfortunately, I don't have any pictures at the moment to share with all of you, but as the summer unfolds, it's only a matter of time!

Hi Chenvre. Welcome aboard! Congratulations on your canoe purchase. I hope you get to spend a lot of time in it this summer/fall, and share your good times with us. That birch bark project sounds interesting!

A birch bark build would be an accomplishment. Have fun with your new to you canoe!
Welcome
Dave

Welcome to the site and congrats on your purchase. Looking forward to pics in your Algonquin 15'

Would love to see pics of your bark canoe models if you get a chance too. I made a 1/4 scale, 3 foot model back in 2008 and finished a 12 footer a year later. The model is actually more waterproof than the big brother. Now it rests on the wall with some of my son's toys as passengers. It's survived multiple "trips" along the cottage floor...

TKV%2BCanoe%2BTrip%2B005.jpg

TKV%2BCanoe%2BTrip%2B002.jpg

Back