• Happy National Paranormal Day! 🔮👻👽

Hand wear in colder Temps

Hate pogies. They work OK for kayaking though they tend to bunch and not allow you to slide your hand along the shaft of the kayak paddle and if you do allow cold water in.. Thats why I use overmitts. No opening for water to get through. Never tried them on a canoe
I might have a disused pair in the shed.
I don't know the definition the OP has of cold water. Water in the 40's or salt water at 25?

Here are the overmitts
https://www.geartrade.com/item/293664/outdoor-research-gore-tex-overmitts

Good canoe pogies are great. Shawn Alexander here http://www.falllinecanoes.com make the best one so far(along with the best flotation bag ever made!!) There is a T grip pogie and a shaft pogie. I paddle in water that is as cold as it would get, sometime in the spring with thick ice shelf on shore and some glacier fed river where the water temp doesn't get warmer than 4-5 degrees celsius. Also when it raines in the Yukon it is rarely nice and warm, you hands will get cold rather quickly!!

The pogies are the warmest hand ware that I've used, My daughter never got cold hands with hers. The Fallline are nice cause they are somewhat stiff so easy on and easy off!!

On thing to take in consideration, is if you "like" to swim in those cold water conditions, you hands will get cold when out of the pogies, so I sometime, if it is really cold and I might be swimming, ware a thin neoprene glove.... so when I end up in the drink, I can still use my hands after a short swim!!

Last edited:
Good canoe pogies are great. Shawn Alexander here http://www.falllinecanoes.com make the best one so far(along with the best flotation bag ever made!!) There is a T grip pogie and a shaft pogie. I paddle in water that is as cold as it would get, sometime in the spring with thick ice shelf on shore and some glacier fed river where the water temp doesn't get warmer than 4-5 degrees celsius. Also when it raines in the Yukon it is rarely nice and warm, you hands will get cold rather quickly!!

The pogies are the warmest hand ware that I've used, My daughter never got cold hands with hers. The Fallline are nice cause they are somewhat stiff so easy on and easy off!!

On thing to take in consideration, is if you "like" to swim in those cold water conditions, you hands will get cold when out of the pogies, so I sometime, if it is really cold and I might be swimming, ware a thin neoprene glove.... so when I end up in the drink, I can still use my hands after a short swim!!

I also paddle in icy waters in the spring. While I can usually keep my hands fairly dry, the wind can change that reality pretty quick. I've used pogies when kayaking but I wasn't aware of canoe specific pogies. Believe I'm going to give a pair of these a go. Thank you for the heads-up.

Thanks for the advise on the pogies. May have to try a pair as well. Glad to know you have been pleased with the Fallline pogies. Read some reviews on some of the cheaper offerings, and I can see how some folks might get a sour taste for pogies, if they have only tried the entry level models. Thanks again.

My sour taste for pogies was not because they were ill made. They were fleece lined and I wore wool underneath. Its that they were not waterproof . At the time I routinely paddled in minus 0 degree C water (salt water does not freeze at 0) and air temps of minus 10 C.
Getting hands even a little wet was not an option because getting immediately off the water was not possible

Fishermen here go out year round and they have to maintain dextrous hands while hauling pots. So I mimic them.

I my book, if pogies aren't waterproof, and if you can't get your hands easily in or out, they are ill made. The one I use are neoprene, they thick and waterproof and even if my hands get wet, just the fact that the pogies don't let air and water in, it create a "microclimate" around my hand that keep them warm. But of course comparing kayaking to canoeing in that aspect is irrelevant since canoeing is easy to keep hands dry. But you milage may vary.

Whatever kind of gloves you wear you should bring extras. If your hands ever did freeze you'd be "dead in the water" and unable to paddle. I keep wool mittens with overmitts in the dry bag containing my spare clothes in case I flip. In a hypothermic situation your body slows blood flow to the extremities and with your hands being so exposed while paddling I could see them freezing and becoming unusable.

Whatever kind of gloves you wear you should bring extras. If your hands ever did freeze you'd be "dead in the water" and unable to paddle. I keep wool mittens with overmitts in the dry bag containing my spare clothes in case I flip. In a hypothermic situation your body slows blood flow to the extremities and with your hands being so exposed while paddling I could see them freezing and becoming unusable.

I always do the same, I have a pair on neoprene glove in my bag but we also cary mitts cause mitts are way easier to put on with frozen hands than gloves are!!

Agreed. Extra headgear, too, just in case. A spare wooly takes little room in the day bag.

Using a single blade, I use the lightest gloves I can get by with, but carry spares. Unless it's pretty cold, I don't bother with gloves at all. My hands don't get wet with a single blade. When things start to get cold, I have found these to be really nice for all-around use, while still allowing for some digital dexterity.......

http://www.cabelas.com/product/CABEL...1.uts?slotId=2

Last edited:
I had a long post written for this, but for some reason this site keeps deleting most of my post. Two attempts....no luck - I give up.

Using a single blade, I use the lightest gloves I can get by with, but carry spares. Unless it's pretty cold, I don't bother with gloves at all. My hands don't get wet with a single blade. When things start to get cold, I have found these to be really nice for all-around use, while still allowing for some digital dexterity.......

http://www.cabelas.com/product/CABEL...1.uts?slotId=2

I'm the same way, I use gloves and pogies really rarely, but when I need I like pogies over gloves and mitts. The one you posted the link, the cabelas, I use to have a pair of fleece mitts like that I really liked maybe I should buy a air of those.

One more thought on cold weather hands (and feet) is keeping a steady flow of fuel going into the engine. Especially as I've gotten older I find a steady intake of snacks during cold weather paddling makes a noticeable difference in my overall comfort level to include hands and feet. Cheese, natural sweets and dried meats accompany my thermos of coffee and another of tomato soup. One of the attractions of canoes vs kayaks is one can take a nice comfortable munch break anywhere without leaving the water. A couple o' slugs of hot soup and a few bites of a good sharp hard cheese every half hour or so go a long way in keeping this ol' man's limbs warm and functional in the winter months before the water goes hard.

I had a long post written for this, but for some reason this site keeps deleting most of my post. Two attempts....no luck - I give up.

You too? The upgrade cuts off messages the first use of apostrophes or quotations marks in some posts.

Robin and the IT guy Kim are working on it.

I use wool mittens......the secret is to wear a pair of latex gloves underneath. Had a friend turn me on to this several years ago and I've thanked him many times over.

Interesting. That's exactly the opposite layering from what just about everyone in my New England whitewater paddling club used in the 80's and 90's. We used strong and long rubber gloves, like THESE, over medium-thin fleece gloves. The outside rubber serves as an impermeable water and wind barrier. The rubber glove sleeves tuck under a drysuit wrist gasket for a virtually waterproof hand and arm. I still have the same pair 30+ years later, still useable.

A second pair of fleece gloves was also carried by most of us because one pair usually wouldn't dry out overnight.

You too? The upgrade cuts off messages the first use of apostrophes or quotations marks in some posts.

Robin and the IT guy Kim are working on it.

I'm not working on it, the guy I pay $25 plus an hour was working on it but I called him off.

As I mentioned in the upgrade update thread "I'm not sure what has happened, but there are a lot of issues on this last update. I'm beginning to realize that running a site in today's modern world with all the gadgets, settings and systems is something that should be left to the big guys with their own on board website repair guys."

I have to assume these issues are with your systems. I bought a new HP Laptop with Windows 10 and I have absolutely no problems. I checked it on my wife's 4 year old laptop, works great. I can't pay a guy $25 plus an hour to figure out your systems problems.

Mike, I know you mentioned that there might be members leaving over these issues and I'm sorry about that. It's very discouraging to have done your best and then hear that. To be honest, my biggest disappointment in this whole thing is that it seemed to extend that wag bag discussion.

Back