• Happy National Paranormal Day! 🔮👻👽

Hand wear in colder Temps

Reaction score
I am picking up my new canoe tomorrow, and as the temps drop here in southern New England, i'm wondering what people are wearing for gloves etc. Coming from a Kayaking Background i have my trusty Curved Grip Chota Gloves, and my Nordic Blues. (not the most supple), but i am wondering what others have found for canoeing that may have a better sense of feel.

Thank You

Ken

I don't do much cold weather paddling (canoes in storage Nov - April) but when I need something to keep my hands warm, I wear an 80% wool blend pair of gloves. If they get wet (actually when) I still have some insulating value. I also have a pair ski gloves with waterproof shells for really cold weather, but ...

I use wool mittens......the secret is to wear a pair of latex gloves underneath. Had a friend turn me on to this several years ago and I've thanked him many times over.

I don't get my hands wet so I wear what I would for any other outdoor activity. If I'm vigorously paddling or it's on the "warm" side I like the cheap nitrile coated stretch work gloves that have rubber on the palms and fingertips. You can get them at home depot for almost a buck a pair. You can recover a paddle or do some light sponging and they stay dry. Great grip and dexterity too.

If it's cooler or it's a leisure paddle I wear Kinco leather lined work gloves. I also wear the cut off tops of worn out socks around my wrists and these keep a lot of heat from escaping. When I need to ventilate or dress down they are the first things to come off and it feels like I removed a layer.

In general my hands get hotter paddling than they do xc skiing in the same temps and I can get by without gloves well into the 20s F as long as I'm otherwise properly dressed.

Glacier Glove. It's an older model and truly waterproof
another is wool gloves under a Goretex overnitt
but the water is setting up to ice now

I use those nitrile coated gloves for poling and get frustrated on trips where I often switch between poling and paddling. These are mostly cooler weather trips. If it's hot, I don't switch a lot, opting to "kayak paddle" with the pole. When it's cold, I try to keep my hands dry, which means keeping one end of the pole dry, so no kayak paddling. So, my frustration is that when I sit down and grab the paddle, the coated gloves are very grippy, and twisting the paddle for the j-stroke becomes uncomfortable.

I'm surprised Al likes the coated gloves for paddling. I like leather work gloves for paddling, because the paddle shaft easily slides against the leather. They aren't very warm, though. I know they sell insulated work gloves, but these always seem too tight on my hands.

I looked over the winter glove selection at the Tractor Supply store a few days ago. Some were labeled as waterproof, and looked like they might do well for paddling. But, my experience with waterproof gloves is that they keep in moisture from your hand, and after a few hours, they are wet and not so warm. The waterproofness makes them difficult to dry out.

Fortunately, where I paddle, we don't get much really cold weather, and leather work gloves do the job for me most of the time. I went out last weekend when the high was 39. I got by with the coated gloves for poling and leather work gloves for paddling. I've tried most of the gloves like toaster mitts, glacier gloves, and neoprene gloves, but still looking. Goretex over mitt on top of wool makes sense, but not in my collection at present.

If you try leather work gloves, get the white ones. When the tan ones get wet, you end up with tan colored hands.

I use wool mittens......the secret is to wear a pair of latex gloves underneath. Had a friend turn me on to this several years ago and I've thanked him many times over.

Agreed. The mitten is easily off and on when needed and extra latex gloves take little space in the day bag. I have latex gloves in all my survival pouches, too.

I use those nitrile coated gloves for poling and get frustrated on trips where I often switch between poling and paddling. These are mostly cooler weather trips. If it's hot, I don't switch a lot, opting to "kayak paddle" with the pole. When it's cold, I try to keep my hands dry, which means keeping one end of the pole dry, so no kayak paddling. So, my frustration is that when I sit down and grab the paddle, the coated gloves are very grippy, and twisting the paddle for the j-stroke becomes uncomfortable.

I'm surprised Al likes the coated gloves for paddling. I like leather work gloves for paddling, because the paddle shaft easily slides against the leather. They aren't very warm, though. I know they sell insulated work gloves, but these always seem too tight on my hands.

I looked over the winter glove selection at the Tractor Supply store a few days ago. Some were labeled as waterproof, and looked like they might do well for paddling. But, my experience with waterproof gloves is that they keep in moisture from your hand, and after a few hours, they are wet and not so warm. The waterproofness makes them difficult to dry out.

Fortunately, where I paddle, we don't get much really cold weather, and leather work gloves do the job for me most of the time. I went out last weekend when the high was 39. I got by with the coated gloves for poling and leather work gloves for paddling. I've tried most of the gloves like toaster mitts, glacier gloves, and neoprene gloves, but still looking. Goretex over mitt on top of wool makes sense, but not in my collection at present.

If you try leather work gloves, get the white ones. When the tan ones get wet, you end up with tan colored hands.

Chip, some brands are grippier than others, some are a downright hazard while using power tools that spin. Try rubbing dirt into them to make them more slippery. I also use a very light grip on the paddle and use correction strokes other than the J.

I also don't know why a six foot paddle isn't standard equipment for polers, it would eliminate having to sit at all and not changing the trim of the canoe by having to move to a seat.

Some good options here.. I like the latex/nitrile under wool. Actually, when i used to do lot of winter HIking in the Whites, on those days there was a ton of wet snow on trees to be beat through on the trail. Id make a vapor barrier glove with a pair of snug fitting latex/nitrile, then a wool or poly liner glove, then a bigger latex/nitrile over it. Essentially a waterproof vapor barrier glove!

K

Your needs on the water are way different than for winter hiking.. For the former ( and we live just east of the Whites) I use a thin Icebreaker glove under the OR overmitts. And carry a second pair when the first gets soaked from sweat.
Now on the water you might consider what the fishing people up here wear on the ocean..
Here is just one
http://www.cabelas.com/product/CABELAS-GUIDEWEAR-EXTREME-GLOVE/2435088.uts?slotId=5

Neoprene is not good in windy conditions when wet. Thats why I have to alter footwear to include a vapor barrier between my wool sox ( felted) and the neoprene bootie.

Paddling gloves may be as personal preference choice as footwear or a PFD, and I would absolutely want to be able to try gloves on for fit and feel before purchasing.

I do not like wearing gloves period. Even work gloves when doing carpentry; I always throw the left one off in frustration so I can grab a nail or screw with my (non-dominate) left hand. I have a fine collection of nearly unused left hand/worn out right hand work gloves

I do not like wearing gloves in cold weather paddling either, which may explain why I have tried so many paddling gloves. Pogies too, which were even more of a failure for me.

I do wear gloves at times when paddling in cold weather, but as soon as the wind lessens, the sun come out or I pull into an eddy for a break the gloves come off, so something that is not a 3 minute struggle using my teeth to put on and take off throughout the day is a necessity.

On and off means I do not want my hands to be sweaty after the gloves come off, which rules out a lot of the waterproof paddling gloves. The worst for me in that regard were neoprene gloves, but the breathable waterproof stuff was almost as bad in terms of gloves-off damp chilled hands

Nothing so thick that I lose tactile sense on the paddle. Likewise nothing too slick or slippery for control issues.

After trying a variety of paddling gloves I found something that worked for me. Something I already owned. The hunting gloves from my duck and goose shotgunning days.

Fairly thin for a good tactile feel on the gun (or paddle). Somewhat stretchy for a form fit around the trigger and stock (or shaft and grip). Easy to pull on and off when reloading (or resting nimble fingered in an eddy). Non-slip surface on the palms and fingers for surety of aim (or stroke).

Pretty much all of my glove criteria were transferrable from hunting to paddling. They are not waterproof; I think they are some wool/synthetic blend that is both warm and quick to dry.

YMMV, but it is hard to find a paddlesport outfitter shop that offers a dozen choices in gloves. It might be worth checking out the selection, fit and feel of hunting gloves in a Gander Mountain, Cabalas or Bass Pro shop.

(Beyond gloves the paddle itself matters. Definitely not an aluminum shaft. Even wood takes a while to warm up on the grip. Carbon fiber seems the least cold at first touch and warms up the fastest)

I also don't know why a six foot paddle isn't standard equipment for polers, it would eliminate having to sit at all and not changing the trim of the canoe by having to move to a seat.

Mostly because if you're standing, the pole works fine for most everything, but sometimes you want to sit for a change. Water depth doesn't matter. Tired feet and legs do.

Your needs on the water are way different than for winter hiking.. For the former ( and we live just east of the Whites) I use a thin Icebreaker glove under the OR overmitts. And carry a second pair when the first gets soaked from sweat.
Now on the water you might consider what the fishing people up here wear on the ocean..
Here is just one
http://www.cabelas.com/product/CABELAS-GUIDEWEAR-EXTREME-GLOVE/2435088.uts?slotId=5

Neoprene is not good in windy conditions when wet. Thats why I have to alter footwear to include a vapor barrier between my wool sox ( felted) and the neoprene bootie.

I agree neoprene once wet (from sweat or drips) in cold weather, neo sucks. Kayaking i used Nordic Blue Drygloves when the temps really dropped, but the paddle feel is lousy. So im thinking experimentation with different ideas here and of course ALWAYS spares.

Mostly because if you're standing, the pole works fine for most everything, but sometimes you want to sit for a change. Water depth doesn't matter. Tired feet and legs do.

I see your point, if your gonna paddle you may as well be sittin, there's more joy in that anyway. I mostly stand for the better view, the increased power and it doesn't make my arse sore.:(

I wear canoe pogies, they are IMO the warmest and the best for cold weather or rainy days.

I wear canoe pogies, they are IMO the warmest and the best for cold weather or rainy days.

Looked up canoe pogies, as I have never seen anything like that around Louisiana. I can see how they could be really warm, without deterring the tactile feel of the hand on the paddle shaft, but am confused as to how they function on the hand that is on the grip. Do they make separates for both shaft hand and grip hand? Or do you just somehow close up the unused shaft opening for the grip hand?

Back