• Happy National Garlic Day! 🧄🚫🧛🏼‍♂️

Hammocks

I can see where the pocket fro the pad would eliminate it moving around, but the other problem I had with using a pad, was the folds and bunches in it caused but the complex curves of the hammock bottom.?
thanks ,Turtle

I dont have the issue of bunches and folds. I can see how that could happen. I wonder if it specific to the pad's dimensions and/or the hammock. I have noticed some people have issues with the mating of gear items; just not the right fit/combination.

I'm not a big guy, 5'9", 180, but I always use a double hammock, seems to eliminate the folds and gives me plenty of room to move around.

I spent many nights in a hammock when I couldn't afford a tent and now, after about 30 years, I'm back in one again. I purchased a hammock from a small company called BIAS (Butt in a Sling) and it weighs in at only 8 oz. I picked it up for backpacking but now use it on all my trips that don't include my wife; she still prefers the tent. I prefer a pad over an underquilt because it adds flexibility to my sleeping choices. Bottom line, if I get somewhere that an open lean-to is available and it's raining like crazy, the pad gives me the option of sleeping in the shelter and still having comfort. I also use a Therma-Rest pad and the tip shared with me, that has led to many nights of comfortable sleeping, is to underinflate the pad. Since I've begun doing that I haven't had the pad slip out from underneath me.

If you don't want to use an inflatable pad your other obvious option is to use a CCF pad but some of them can be narrow. If you're not interested in carrying a truly wide pad, you could make yourself a SPE (Segmented Pad Extender). I made mine using a variety of options I found on the web but here's one that works well for folks: http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeGearSPE.html

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

PS - Full disclosure: I'm only 5' 8" and tip the scales at 205 (on a good day!). My hammock is 12' by 60" wide and gathered end. What I love is that between my hammock and full sized tarp (Warbonnet "Super Fly") I'm only carrying 1.5 pounds in my total set-up. It doesn't get much better than that; especially for old knees.

What I love is that between my hammock and full sized tarp (Warbonnet "Super Fly") I'm only carrying 1.5 pounds in my total set-up. It doesn't get much better than that; especially for old knees.

That seems awful low for weight. I didn't look up your hammock but the Superfly is rated at 1lb 3 ounces. Or maybe I misunderstood what you meant.

Either way it's a nice and lightweight setup.

*EDIT - Nevermind. I seem to be having problems reading this morning. I see you listed the weight of your hammock at 8 ounces. Very impressive!

Alan

Alan - No worries. When my daughter's purchased the tarp for me it was listed at 1 lb. so that's why I listed the combined weight at being 1.5 lbs. That being said, my guess is it may be a bit heavier but it certainly doesn't tip the scales at 2 lbs. including suspension, stakes, etc. so this set-up is still the lightest I've ever carried.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

Used my hammock with the custom cut wide pads I made in the BWCA last weekend. Got down to -27F on Sunday morning, pads worked great, as did the new boots I bought for the trip. Weather forecast was -5F so it was off a bit. DSCN5041.JPG

Attachments

• DSCN5041.JPG
    DSCN5041.JPG
    448.6 KB · Views: 0
Looks Very peaceful. Where did you enter at?

We went in at Sawbill lake and hiked into Smoke and camped there. Took a hike and did some exploring into Burnt and Flame too. The choices of entry points in the winter is somewhat limited because many of the Forest Service roads are not plowed. It was very peaceful, we saw another group in the parking lot but they took off ahead of us and went a different direction so we didn't see anybody else. There was about 30" of snow on the ground and we got a fresh 4" while we were there. The only wildlife we saw the whole time was a crow, although I did hear a woodpecker at work.
DSCN5010.JPG

Wow,
I never hammock camped in the snow! If I did, I would use the 1/4 inch closed cell foam pad I made along with my underquilt. 1/4 in makes fewer rinkels to sleep on,but I still don't like it.
Turtle

For those new to hammocks:

Note that it is something of a trick to use a thermarest pad inside a hammock. It can be quite humorous to watch the uninitiated struggle through their first night until they get the hang of it. If you simply throw in a pad with a sleeping bag on top, the pad will in short order "squirt" around and find its way to lay on top of the sleeping bag. Not an effective situation.

But there are several solutions. One is to use a light overbag. Put sleeping bag and pad both inside the overbag and your are done. For years I used an old sheet sewn to make a bag, and it worked very well. A second solution is to use a sleeping bag, such as those made by Big Agnes, that has a pocket slot in the bottom that you can slide a pad in. That's what I do now. Or you can fasten velcro to the inside of the hammock and the bottom of the pad.

I have a hammock with mosquito netting. When it's cool enough to need an under pad, I hang the hammock upside down and zip the pad inside. It does have some minimal shifting but nothing like sliding up on top of me. When I need the netting for bugs, it's generally warm enough that I don't need the under insulation.

There is a spray product called "Pow'r TAC" that was made for golf club handles and such to decrease slipperiness. I used it inside my hammock and it did help with sleeping pad, sleeping bag, and me sliding in three different directions. Now I sleep with my back directly on the hammock fabric with my sleeping bag upside down over me and an underquilt. Life is now good.
Turtle

Back