• Happy Scream Day! 😱

Gunnel plug

Reaction score
A couple of years ago I added a 3rd seat to my canoe. Worked great for tripping with 3 people especially if the 3rd was a kid. I've decided to pull it for now and if I do want 3 again I'm going to use a different seat so I need to plug 2 of the holes I made to hang it. Question is this - should I drill it out and plug it all the way through or not?

PXL_20210421_141339826.jpg

You may want a little varnish or resin in the holes to keep water out. Filling the holes seems unnecessary from functional standpoint but aesthetics is a different story. Glued in dowels or resin with sawdust would both be options.

You may want a little varnish or resin in the holes to keep water out. Filling the holes seems unnecessary from functional standpoint but aesthetics is a different story. Glued in dowels or resin with sawdust would both be options.

Pretty much decided I'm making an ash plug, just wondered if I should drill it out and make the plug go all the way through.

My opinion is what ever is easiest. I doubt weight or strength are limiting factors. My only two concerns would be water and dirt getting into non plugged or partially plugged holes possibly leading to rot. Partially plugged holes seems more likely to create issues versus plug going all the way through or no plug at all.

I think a carefully fitted plug on the top surface would be sufficient. You can be as fussy as you want regarding grain and color match. I'd glue it.

I'm in agreement with Charlie Wilson.

Tape the bottom side, and fill the hole with epoxy. Add sawdust, and filler, if you want.. The epoxy will seal the best, and be the strongest option.

If you do any more drilling ? You will just weaken the inwhale.

When I moved the bow seat on my canoe I filled the old holes with thickened epoxy (sawdust and filler). Instead of just taping over the bottom of the holes, I bridged each hole with a piece of scrap wood under the gunnel and clamped it either side of the holes with C-clamps. I put a piece of thick plastic over the surface of the scrap wood so that the epoxy wouldn't stick.

Or you could just put a shorter stainless bolt in place to keep the hole in case you want to reinstall the seat someday. Be sure to treat the inside of the hole to block water absorption with whatever method you choose. Done it on a few boats and looks fine.

Back