• Happy (Ancient) May Day! 🎀💈💃🏼🧺💐🍴

Gunnel lashing

I just looked that up Jim and can't figure out where you would be needing it. Or how. Can you explain. It looks complicated for what it does, I know a simpler hitch if you can explain how you're using it.
Jim

Here' two pics I took today. The line is 3/16", as I said earlier, I need bigger cord. I just did this to test my knot tying.
I modified the Blake's hitch by bringing the extra line up with the main line.
IMG_1032_zps2rhkqlqk.jpg
IMG_1027_zpsidcrpyul.jpg

Jim

I see what you are doing now. That allows adjustment for bulkier loads and you still have a long length of rope without cutting lashings if you need it. It should work.
Jim

Played with it a little tonite. If the cord is tight, the loop is hard to thread up through the scupper. That was without a pack. With a pack it should be easier.
Jim

Not to put a downer on what has been an interesting thread but I find lashing to the gunwales is generally ineffective except for very large loads and even then there is often so much stretch in the rope that the load can shift when the canoe goes over or will float up if the canoe is swamped. I think lash points need to be much lower to be worth the effort.

Be interesting to see how this works with a load though

To date I haven't tipped a loaded canoe. Your experience is appreciated.
I have tipped a canoe, but only lost small items.
Please share your insight. As I'm new to this game !

Jim

I'm with BV, regarding securing a load especially if you plan on running rapids with consequences... But if you paddle mainly flat water, then that system should work. We usually use lashing similar to yours to secure flotation in ww canoes.

It's just that the lashings are pulling sideways and the load will be pulling up and out from the canoe whether you swamp or tip.. You can try this for yourself by tying a rope across a gap and pulling. See how much you can deflect it by. Lashings mounted down into the bilges or along the centre line pull the load down into the hull and resist the efforts of gear to leave the canoe. Your lashings would probably stop the gear from being lost but you lose most of the benefits of flotation and it can shift around making the canoe even more unstable as you wallow through the waves.

Back