• Happy National Bugs Bunny Day (1938)!❓⬆️👨🏼‍⚕️

Gunnel lashing

Reaction score
With Alan's Expedition build inspiring me, I thought I'd play with lashings on my solo builds.
I have scuppers on everything, and was trying to figure out a way to rig it.

Hoping for some ideas !!
Here's what I have played with. The spring clamps are just for display.
IMG_1020_zpsozan3r0l.jpg
IMG_1026_zpsirbttrux.jpg

Jim

That first pic looks simple and easy! If you were worried about lacing and unlacing causing wear on the gunnels, you could always mount a loop of webbing to the gunnels and lace through that. Maybe get fancy and glue the webing loop to a small cedar wedge (2 pieces glued together with the webbing ends in the middle) and drop the wedge into the scupper from the top down with the webbing hanging out the bottom. Make the wedge "just fit" with enough friction as to not fall out when not laced. It would keep the top of gunnels clear of over hanging bushes and such

Jason

Thanks Jason
That might be what I'll have to do. Maybe a wedgy lock type thing.
I was hoping someone had a sailor trick, or something on that order, to replace the wedge, as I'm fearful, I would lose the wedges.
I like being able to access gear, and easily reset the cordage.

Jim

Jim what about making something like this with just one slot at the top with a dowel thru it to secure the web loop and keep the tubing from collapsing. The loop would come up from the bottom of the scupper.
530_main_sized_450x300.jpg

http://www.thule.com/en-us/us/produ...cessories/thule-quick-loop-strap-530-_-530999

The rubber hose has merit !

I could string small sections of hose on the cord, Loop the cord through the scupper, and wrap it around the hose.
I need to play with it .
Thanks !

The only problem I see is trying to keep the "loops" in order when you until you unhook the part you have attached via the clamps. When the rope falls into the canoe I can see it getting tangled. At least I know I would make a mess of it! I would have to lace and unlacing it keeping the rope wound up as I went along. Unless you whip the cross sections together anyways.

Food for thought

How much flexibility do you need in the lacing? The way you have it laced it goes straight across to the opposite side. Do you think you will need to go up and over something higher than the gunnel. I have an idea that is quick to access without untying everything but it isn't very flexible for varying load heights.

How much flexibility do you need in the lacing? The way you have it laced it goes straight across to the opposite side. Do you think you will need to go up and over something higher than the gunnel. I have an idea that is quick to access without untying everything but it isn't very flexible for varying load heights.

I'm open to all ideas !

I played with nuts,washers, and short pieces of rubber hose of different sizes. So far the wood wedge is the best I've come up with. I don't like loose parts. So I'm still looking.
Thanks so far !

Jim

Jim, maybe, if you are willing to give up 3/4" of scupper, you could use some walnut or other dark wood and glue in the wedges permanently. When you are not using the lacing, the webbing would just hang down out of the way. Maybe even less space and use Para chord with the guts pulled out and a 1/2" block.

Actually, paracord would be thin enough that you could quickly attatch and remove the lacing via micro 'biners or those "NiteEyez' mini S biners. Heck, maybe you could epoxy the Paracord straight to the inside of the scupper hanging down into the hull. Hold it in place with a plastic wedge until the epoxy cures.

Jason

I guess I could just use karabiners. They would rattle.
Velcro might work.
But I was really wanting something simple that just involved the rope.

Thanks for the input Jason !

This is what I was thinking Jim. The line is actually set up ahead of time and might lack some versatility, but the ease of attaching and ease of access is high and there is nothing to lose.
At each gunnel opening that you want to attach it a loop is formed and a short section of line is lashed in place, that's it. The loop comes up through the scupper and the keeper line is fed through. Easy on easy off. For more security a knot could be tied in the keeper line but I have never found that necessary.

7c405c819fcc15523024064b989bc4f7_zpsiimaaaog.jpg

7b0ae9cff4de272d9e53992364e8a2bd_zpsctqklx6y.jpg

52643660bee1e55456beedb6b659cdd1_zpssmbacpzw.jpg

Jim

That's it !

A picture is well worth a 1,000 words !

Thank you Jim !!!

Thanks to everyone else also !

Jim

If the rope is close to the size of the scupper you won't need a knot. In my photo above you could pull as hard as you want and it won't come out.
Jim

I have a 3/8" gap, and the cord I have is 1/4". I'll look for some good quality 5/6", or even 3/8".

Doing without the knot would save weight, and therev would be nothing to catch on something.

Thanks again !!

Jim

I have a 3/8" gap, and the cord I have is 1/4". I'll look for some good quality 5/6", or even 3/8".

Doing without the knot would save weight, and nothing to snag.

Thanks again !!

Jim

Back