• Happy National Garlic Day! 🧄🚫🧛🏼‍♂️

Guided, a nice video about an old Maine guide.

Ray is an incredible teacher. When he goes forth into the bush everything fits in one small daypack. He can literally make repairs to the canoes with what he finds in the bush and the debris shelters he has constructed that I have found on the St John are exquisite.
He lives off the land.. He says what you need is all there.. I've met him a few times. A quiet, gentle man and a legend.

The antithesis to what sort of gear do you need next!

Robin , thanks for sharing. A wonderful accompaniment to the first cup of coffee.

Robin - Thanks so much for sharing that with us. Viewing it was a wonderful way for me to begin the day. Sometimes I think we all need to stop a moment and become a bit more introspective. This has helped me to do that and for that I'm very grateful.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time....be well.

snapper

Thanks Robin , I needed that , after being cooped up most of the winter that gives me the inspiration to get outside with the dog , .Tinkering with gear only takes you so far. Every night now I listen for the spring peepers , they are my bugle call. still some ice on the lakes but won't be long now !

Last edited:
Memories.. Of 5 am. Coffee. Fireplace. Ray and Gil Gilpatrick sitting in front of the fire.. just being.. Not much talk.. some.. reminiscing.. quiet.
At Maine Canoe Symposium

Wow ... Powerful. He reminds me of my father-in-law. These two men can get lost in the wonder of a leaf ... as much as I love the timber, I wish I could see what they see when they are in it. Sadly they will forget more than I will ever lean about the wonders of the bush. I appreciate the wonderful films I have experienced with this site. It is snowing here again today ... films like this help me wait out the winter until I can paddle the bush again.

Good stuff.

Bob.

Aa a licensed guide myself, for a long time I have been an instructor of young adults as part of a BSA trek leader/guide training program (for 29 years so far). Ray made a couple of comments that we have tried to capture and always hope to instill into our students:

"If there's 10 people with you and one o two get it, it's like Amazing. The question is: How do we turn on the switch? You see, that's what I do, keep looking for that switch."

"listen in a deeper space, like when you cn hear a leaf fall from a tree".

Last edited:
Thanks for this Robin, it really touched my soul. But I think it was meant to really. I appreciate the emphasis on deeper connections to the natural wonder of the world and our relationship with it, too few Rays around to teach us. Just meant to say it is inspirational, and good stuff.

I am currently re-tripping many TRs from members here, on these pages and youtoob too, and enjoying all. No trips this year for us, so I'm filling up my kuksa cup soul, and sipping slowly from it, making it last for another 12 months. This video takes it nearly to the brim, thanks Robin.

Last edited:
Last year at the Maine Canoe Symposium there was a gathering of people and the two Old Maine Guides Ray Rietze and Gil Gilpatrick around an outside campfire.. Both of them so taciturn and so unassuming as we waited for the war stories that eventually did come!
They never talked poorly about anyone! and I am sure they have had some real doozies

Taking those courses would be really enjoyable.
http://www.mainecanoesymposium.org/

Its canoe camp for the whole family rather than a formal instruction course. 6 75 minute workshops. You get to choose what six out of 75 workshops. Best of all is the canoe chatter at meals. And get up at Five.. AM.
The Sun is UP. The Coffee is ON. Fruit and Danish.. Then go Paddling'
Second Breakfast at 8AM

Thanks, Robin. Brad and I watched it this evening. Touches my soul and how wonderful he has the patience and kindness to pass it on. Bless all of you who can do this teaching.
Erica

Your Welcome /Brad/Erica, I get updates from Jack Mountain Bushcraft and this video was included, I like the old timers style too.

Here's a nice article about the above referenced Maine Guide, Ray Reitze in the online magazine Maine., and that big canoe he poles makes me want an 18' Chestnut Guide.

What do they say, Old Guys Rule!

https://www.themainemag.com/features/56443/

PFE_6607-1024x768.jpg

Here's a nice article about the above referenced Maine Guide, Ray Reitze in the online magazine Maine., and that big canoe he poles makes me want an 18' Chestnut Guide.

What do they say, Old Guys Rule!

https://www.themainemag.com/features/56443/

PFE_6607-1024x768.jpg

They do say "Old Guys Rule" What I'm seeing is "Old Guys with Big Paddles, in Big Boats, Rule From the Stern Seat"

I don't think you'd regret getting that 18' Guide especially now that portaging is behind you. Thanks for posting the article.

Old ways are the Best Ways.
There is nothing like spending time in your own home country, especially if you know all the plants and the ways of the critters.
When the country is really familiar it is like "going home."
The more you learn about it, the more rewarding the time spent becomes.

Back