• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Good solo and tandem fishing canoes?

Reaction score
What are folks using now for a good all around fishing canoe? In the 80's I bought an Old Town Camper royalex with wood trim from a guy named Bert Decker in Schenectady, NY. I had small kids at the time and this canoe was just what I needed. Stable, tough, pretty, not at all heavy, I used it for ww or ponds, great canoe. I even used it later with my grown son for a week in LaVerendrye, Quebec. I gave it to his brother when his daughters came along and now they use it for fishing.

What's new? What would make a good fishing canoe today. Better yet, a good fishing canoe that doubles as a tripper, as in day tripper (just a paddle down a local stream or pond), overnighter or extended tripper.

Solo's, tandems, anybody have any favorites that make decent fishing canoes besides whats at the big box's?

Robin,
Build a guideboat...it'll fit anything you can catch and you'll love the seaworthiness and speed.
I would stay far away from any mass manufactured hulls.

I use my Rapidfire to fish from. Great for just paddling or fishing. I installed a large web seat with an adjustable back rest patterned off a wilderness phase 3 seat.

IMGP0971_zpsf2b2c029.jpg

2 17' old town trippers with an 8'x8' platform strapped on top,minkota and cooler. seen that upta grand stream lake.

Robin,

I love a Pal for general purpose paddling, fishing, solo tripping etc. However, I also really like a an old town Penobscot 16 foot ( I love mine - wood trim in Rx, fire engine red). I think it is a fantastic solo and a pretty good tandem. It is real responsive, stable and has good speed - not bad in the wind.

Of course you have a Bob Special ... kinda hard to beat that for fishing doncha think?

Bob.

I think I've fished out of every tandem canoe I've had, with no real issues other than the wind blowing me around (the worst was the Camper). Yes, I'm sure of it. Doesn't seem to matter what design other than that. The solo canoe, however.... I haven't tried fishing from the Sojourn yet. Probably better tie my gear in for that one....

I had a OT Camper canoe years ago. It was a great all around family canoe. Many fond memories . Dave

I fished from an Old Town Pack canoe and that was sturdy and surprisingly light for Royalex (33 pounds), but it didn't carry enough gear, so now I use a Bell Rockstar and that's about the same weight, but much roomier. I'd buy another if I were torpedoed by a U-boat.

Robin - my last answer probably wasn't much help....

My current favorite canoe for fishing is the MR Malecite, but that's mainly because I get most of my fishing in on lakes. Our Malecite has the third "solo seat" option, so it works well for fishing alone or with a partner. I used to use an Old Town Penobscot for the same stuff - but i gave that one to my son. His wife grew up with canoes, and she likes to paddle him around while he fishes. Anyway - that boat works well for fishing lakes too, and it solos just about as easily as the Malecite. I have done some river fishing from the NC Prospector. Very stable platform for standing.

I mentioned the Dagger Sojourn above. That solo canoe is my first and it was new to me last summer. I haven't had a chance to try fishing in it yet. Not sure how that will turn out, but I'm going to give it a try. One thing's for certain - I won't be standing in it to fish.

Here's my wife in 1973 with our brand new 17' Grumman lightweight "second" bought right from Grumman in Bethpage LI, NY by an employee for us.
That was a great canoe for us, we spent alot of time fishing and paddling, Good Times:cool:

The canoe is in Ontario now cause I traded it for a couple of old canoes, a wood one and a fiberglass canoe, but I still have the wife:D
Jackie-1973_zps73f09e06.jpg

Hey Clethro, how are your rods fastened in? Do they stay there for any portages etc? Nice set up.
Hey Robin, I think you got a fair trade; though your wife would be the bargain.
We first rented those Grummans in the early days, light they were not. But they were so much fun, and so solid.

I use 1" pole clips to hold two paddles and the handles of two poles. The front end of the poles I use 3/4" pole clips. To portage everything is tight with the 1" clips but the small ends of the poles requires a small bungie to hold them tight.

Thanks for the reply Clethro. I'm discovering a whole new world of fishing gear, and I haven't wetted a line yet. Did you screw these clips to your thwarts? I've seen guys using PVC pipe, but these seem more streamlined and simpler. I'm off to shop and experiment, thanks again.

I bolted mine in for the paddle clips since there is one on top and bottom side of the thwart. On the pole clips I used screws

Update to my previous post in this thread....
After having a few chances to fish from the Sojourn, I can report that it makes a great flatwater fishing solo. Still not standing in that boat, but fishing from kneeling or sitting for bass and crappie is pure joy. Can't see any reason why any similar solo wouldn't work.

Dagger Sojourn - 14'9" L, 29" W, 12.5" D, practically no rocker, shallow arch bottom, asymmetrical.

Little trouble from wind...no need to tie gear in (yet).

Back