• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Gators and kids

"Earlier this year, A-Z Animals, a website that aims to 'educate, amuse, and inform readers' about animals and plants, among other things, released a list showing the 30 most alligator-infested waters in the Sunshine State."

#25 is Lake Iamonia, no “L”

Iamonia & Miccosukee check out, both lakes are positively crawling with gators. I wonder where the local rivers would stack up? The St. Marks, Wakulla, Wacissa, and Aucilla rivers in particular are well populated.

Sad that this article describes Florida waters as “infested” with the critters. The American Alligator is a notable rare example of government protection actually working. The gator was endangered when I was a kid; they were removed from the endangered species list in 1987.

A bit of an aside but after our recent wolf thread I'm curious how others view the differences and similarities of wolves and gators. Should one be protected and the other not? Does one pose a greater risk to humans? In whose territory would you me most comfortable paddling/camping?

Personally I'd be much more concerned about gators but that could very likely come down to the fact that I've never spent much time in their habitat so I don't have any first hand experience. The unknown is always intimidating.

Alan

I have backcountry camped in wolf, bear, and gator country. I've participated in capturing both bears and gators (among other species) as part of research projects.

I think gators are much more analogous to bears than wolves in terms of risk to humans. Gators and bears are smart, curious omnivores that acclimate pretty easily to people and like many of people foods (the same goes for raccoons). Both are capable of dealing a deadly blow to the head by sheer force, nevermind the claws and teeth (here's where raccoons are different).

Most bears, gators, and wolves that I've encountered in the wild have wanted nothing to do with me and have gone the other way when they notice me. I have experienced both bears and gators that showed no fear and didn't hesitate to approach. Gators and black bears have both been documented to prey on humans opportunitistically in very rare occassions. But, I think with some knowledge of each species' behavior, common sense, and a desire to keep a respectful distance, I don't mind continuing to recreate with any of these critters in the area, but I stay wary of all of them as large predators. I'm equally wary of humans, and their vehicles, which cause a whole lot more deaths than gators, bears, or wolves.

All 3 are incredible animals worthy of respect. Wolves, and to many people's surprise, gators, are capable of incredible vocalizations, on par with the call of the loon if you ask me. They all should be 'protected' as in given space to live their lives and not be extirpated. But I don't have an inherent problem with hunting any of them sustainably. Gator and bear populations have both made incredible recoveries thanks to legal protection, and both are now hunted legally thanks to sustainable hunting and population management practices.

born and raised in S. Fl 1957 in a hunting and fishing family, gators were never endangered, they were everywhere as far back as I can remember, be it wilderness everglades or the vast array of residential canals. Doesn't mean they weren't killed or poached illegally, but as a population you couldn't convince anyone that spent a lot of time outdoors back then that they were in any danger whatsoever. They are very successful breeders and can make a good living anywhere there is water. To say they are and have been a renewable natural resource for a very long time would be an understatement.

They are way over populated now. Long past due for FWC to open up harvest in densely populated (human) areas instead of waiting for a nuisance report or worse incident before calling in a trapper. Catching and killing them is not rocket science and can be done safely in residential scenarios. Maybe add a regulation for residential areas where a licensed guide is required in addition to the permit holder for an added measure of safety and compliance.

To the point about kids, use common sense. Me and my friends all grew up recreating in prime gator habitat, still do to this day with our kids and their kids. Gators are of course dangerous, but they didn't evolve millions of years by being careless in choosing prey. They are opportunistic predators with a high degree of self preservation instincts, so a few things have to fall in place before they are prone to attack.

Habituated gators are no different, but they are more dangerous because they will approach to very close distances instead of fleeing or keeping their distance. When you don't retreat then you find yourself within strike distance and their instincts take over and somebody gets hurt or killed. So yeah, boat ramps and fish cleaning areas or anywhere stupid people feed them you need to be on elevated alert. Keep kids and small pets from the waters edge anywhere you can't see a gator approaching or lying in wait.

The Everglades and many of Florida's river systems are my favorite places to be and deeply imprinted in my life experiences. By all means get yourself and your kids out there and enjoy the experience and teach them the dangers and how to avoid it. Even with alligators, moccasins, pythons and panthers its way safer out there than playing in most places around town. :)

Gators and bears are smart, curious omnivores that acclimate pretty easily to people and like many of people foods (the same goes for raccoons).
So obviously I know nothing about gators. I didn't know they were omnivores. What are they eating other than meat?

Alan

No, chipmunks are not on the endangered species list. There are species in the southwest that might qualify, but the Eastern Chipmunk is doing fine.

I've noticed more gators in populated areas of SC than during my days living there in the late 1990's. My impression is they are on average bigger, but I haven't researched it. I also haven't paddled as much in really infested waters recently.

When I first moved to LA in 2002, I was terrified of the gators, water mocs, coyotes, feral dogs, and hogs, but refused to stay inside. After a few years, a friend suggested a pistol (revolver for reliability, chest holster for access), and I was cured. Seldom had to use it, entirely on water mocs, but had a run in with a drunk on a mule that did cause me to consider it... that ended fine for both of us when i realized he was too drunk to hurt me, and the mule had no interest in doing so.

A friend who grew up running the LA swamps as a youth told me that he once 'cornered' a 13-15' gator while poling his pirogue up a very narrow channel. it disappeared, and after awhile, he decided to continue on forward anyway. reaching his purpose, he got out, turned the boat around, and proceeded back home, passing the spot where he'd "lost" the gator, and never did see it... he told me he thought it had simply "gone to bottom" when it saw him, and that he'd passed over it both going and coming back without incident. He said they generally have no interest in hanging around humans.

Conversely, I went to visit him once, in a New Orleans suburb, and we took a bag of marshmallows down to the water's edge one evening... his young son took a branch, climbed down a ladder to the water's edge, and began to beat the surface with it for a long minute. My friend then shone a light over the water, and dozens of eyes had appeared, all moving toward the ladder... apparently, they like marshmallows...

Back