• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Frost River Packs

They are very nice looking packs. I have all the Duluth Packs I will ever need, but if I where starting out, I would give them a look.

An Old #7 or a Nessmuk plus a #3 pack would be a good set of packs for me for 2 weeks. Good looking packs with leather straps.

I have an Old #2 pack (slightly smaller than the Old #3: envelope style, 24" x 23" I think), from when the company was under previous management. It is beautifully made and rock solid. The leather shoulder straps are beyond awesome. The cotton web tump strap is very very sturdy. Brass hardware is gorgeous. Sewing is meticulous.

I have seen a few of the pieces from the present management and the quality appears equally good. If there is one thing I might change in some of their day packs, it would be to beef up the cotton web shoulder straps. For example, I saw one of their new growler packs, made to carry two 64 oz beer bottles, and the shoulder straps were very thin and lightweight. I see that their more serious day packs with web straps are reinforced or padded.

My favorite pack is the Frost River Old #7. The waxed canvas is sturdy and the design of the # 7 is a great to pack and rig in a canoe. I was given an older Duluth envelope style that is now the loaner pack for new friends on canoe trips so they can have the tump line experience. A few years ago Frost River shut down and I was about to buy a few packs because I liked them so much. I was thrilled when they reopened. I like Duluth pack but I always recommend Frost River to anyone looking for a traditional canoe pack.

FR has a huge following over at BushcraftUSA... I've got a local friend who has one of their packs (Isle Royale Jr, iirc), and it's a work of art... my understanding is that they will work with you to do custom work too (like extra pockets, axe loops, straps, partitions for a back pad, that sort of thing), where Duluth Pack is less accommodating.

Back