• Happy Marine Mammal Rescue Day! 🐳🐬🦭🦦

French River Reviews Please

Reaction score
I'd like to do a solo river trip this spring. I've not done any east Ontario rivers, and the French River stands out as a possibility. I'm looking for an uncrowded, CII river with decent camping opportunities (no toilet paper under every rock). I've read a few tour book descriptions but wanted feedback from tripping veterans since you guys have a more critical eye for what constitutes wildness. The plan is to get a shuttle and do 5-8 days, portaging or lining rapids, doing a little fishing and just relaxing in the rhythms of the real world.

I've paddled down the French several times... it is not what I'd call a whitewater river. There are rapids on it, but mostly it's flatwater paddling through narrow, lake-like reaches. Not very wild, with cottages and motorboats in places. Most visitors are there during summer, July and August, so spring may offer some isolation. It's also short, maybe 3-4 days paddling from beginning to end unless you're planning to relax. But there are loops in the area that could extend the distance.

For me the best part of the French is the delta entering into the 30,000 islands on Georgian Bay but it's also motorboat accessible unless you search out some of the side bays, channels and rivers, eg. Fox and Pickerel rivers.

The Spanish river further west offers about 200 km paddling, about seven days and may be more of the CII river you're looking for above. Also the Dumoine in Quebec and the Petawawa in Algonquin. Lots of info on all of those.

There is a great vid on the French and scenery somewhere, I'll try and find it later on.

I've paddled the Spanish in early May, Late May, July, August, September & October. I try to avoid June as a general rule due to the bugs. It's a very nice trip which includes a bit of everything. There is a ton of info available (YouTube, My CCR etc.).

Logistics are pretty simple, shuttles fairly cheap and there are a number of options in terms of trip length. Two primary options, the East branch and West branch, the East is the easiest, smaller rapids and no portages. The West usually involves a train ride to access Biscotasing Lake. The two branches join at The Forks, downstream of here there is plenty of reasonable current and a good selection of Class II rapids with a couple of Class III which with one or two exceptions can be run. These days when I paddle the river (East) I only do one short lining and one 75m portage, everything else can be run under normal water levels. The West branch usually involves a couple of portages upstream of The Forks, the number would vary on your ability to run the bigger Class III's. Speaking of water levels, there is a dam at the exit from Biscotasing Lake which controls the water levels downstream, because of the dam water levels are hard to predict but they are rarely way too high or way too low, there really isn't a time when levels cause any major issues.

Campsites for the most part of well used, clean and quite nice, scenery while not spectacular includes a bit of everything, it's especially nice in the Fall given a relatively high amount of deciduous trees. If you paddle in July or August you will encounter other paddlers but it isn't likely to be "crowded". early and late season it's possible you would see no other paddlers.

Where possible (time) I like to paddle the whole river, from Duke Lake (east branch) or Bisco (west branch) to Agnew Lake, a modest pace takes 6 or 7 days, it 145km for the East Branch, slightly longer for the West Branch.

The only downside for me is that the Spanish is now an official waterway park so fees apply.

I like the looks of this area. I have canoed Lake Superior Prov. park several times and the garden river and the slate islands by kayak but this could easily be my first trip after ice out.

Thanks for the info.
Jackpine Jerry

Many years ago, I took some whitewater training on the French. As we paddled down, I saw all of these strange brown and white flowers all over the shoreline. As I got closer, I realized it was toilet paper. The place was covered in human excrement. I saw more people in one weekend than I usually see in a year. I had certainly never seen that many canoeists in one place. There were hundreds of people. The parking area was overflowing with vehicles. It was a crap show, so to say, I won't ever go back.

Georgian Bay has been included in UNESCO's system of world biosphere reserves and is in lists like ten best places to be on the water, all kinds of good reviews so popular... I wouldn't miss an opportunity to spend a quiet moment on a freshly-built thunderbox in the pines thinking about how the voyageurs must have taken a dump, and where.

PS... I blame those danged motorboaters. I've heard stories like when they run out of booze, they'll resort to sniffing engine exhaust to get high and after that, move on to sucking out battery acid from parked vehicles.The nerve... the horror.

;)

Last edited:
The fault of the feces fracas on the French can only be blamed on canoeists. There are many different experience levels, with quite a few neophytes and also large groups of neophytes with an unexplainable desire to defecate on portage trails, shore lines and campsites. It's like they are members of an exclusive crapping club, where a winner is picked for the most insulting deposit.

Of course, I was there the long weekend of August, so perhaps that accounts for the booming population of poopers.

FFOTF is something I experienced once and as the pile was in the firepit in the company of several cases of empty beer upstream of 69 the diaper and beer teams could have been anyones..They must have had day care on the island. and needed sustenance to keep their wits about them.

That was many years ago.. My more recent trips have been much more pleasant and that may be the results of efforts of Friends of the French River who have a map for sale.. Well worth the purchase to support them.

Thunderboxes are nice but I still run into the occasional one where one does their business in back of them for some inexplicable reason.. Spiders?

Algonquin does have reports of campsites being trashed regularly, and ports also have had their share of individuals suffering from rectal pressures of some sort or another and needing immediate, on-the-spot relief.. Restorative measures are regularly taken to un-trash the park with technicians using high tech gear like rakes and black plastic bags.

The government shutdown in the states has had some news reports of national parks, like Joshua Tree NP being messed up with trash and toilet paper... so clean-up with millions of visitors appreciating nature seems necessary wherever they go.

Just to be serious for a moment, I have never seen much garbage or toilet paper at the French, I suppose there are unseen individuals thanklessly cleaning it up. Much more at crown land campsites where there are fewer of those.

Thunderboxes are nice but I still run into the occasional one where one does their business in back of them for some inexplicable reason.. Spiders?

I\ll bet it's the thought of rattlesnakes finding a warm spot in the thunderbox for the night. Nice warmth from freshly composting organic material.That kind of thing could really spoil the morning coffee, being bitten on the butt by a Massassauga rattler... play it safe and have your dump off to the side (just seeing things from another's POV, not mine, no flaming please).

The camp I stayed on was fouled by Boy Scouts, and their leaders. Fishing was great on that lake, but I'll never stay in those camps again.

The lake was Shade Lake a short hop to Prairie Portage.

Last edited:
Back