• Happy National Blueberry Pie Day! 🫐🥧

Finally got Luca out in a canoe!

Reaction score
Some of you may remember my post last year about our "rescue" puppy Luca. The vet at the rescue and our vet once we got him home both felt that he would top out at 40-45 pounds.....they were both wrong! He is now about 90 pounds! He is a great dog......He just doesn't like to get wet. I didn't force the issue with him last year as I didn't want to traumatize him. This year, I have been taking him for walks along the area rivers and lakes and coaxing him into the water with treats....he still doesn't like it, but his tummy won't let him miss out on a treat. We spent a good bit of time last Summer and this Spring playing with a canoe in the yard. He has no issues getting in/out and responding to "sit", "stay" and "down" commands. This past Saturday I decided it was time to take him to a local lake and get him out for a paddle. I figured the hard part would be coaxing him into the water to step into the boat. I was already in the boat on my knees and had a rubber pad for him to sit on. I put a few treats into my PFD pocket in case I had to coax him in......which I did. Once I got him in, I told him "down" and he responded...I then told him to "stay".......As soon as I lifted my paddle, he shot out of the canoe, taking both of us for a swim! We were only in about 1.5' of water, he must have nearly landed on shore from his leap as he was barely wet. I of course was soaked from the waist down......After he shook off what little water he had gotten on himself, he walked over and sat down next to my wife in the grass....she of course was laughing hysterically. The 2nd attempt went a little better, we paddled around for about 20 minutes...He started getting a little antsy then so we called it a day.....At one point he actually laid down and rested his head on the gunwale and looked fairly comfortable.......

Mike

Attachments

• photo11977.jpg
    photo11977.jpg
    423.9 KB · Views: 1
  • photo11978.jpg
    photo11978.jpg
    514.9 KB · Views: 1
Sounds delightfully encouraging. There is hope. 90 pounds of hope. Keep us posted!

We have 3 dogs in the family, only one of which loves the water. Wouldn't you know it, she's the small one whose owners likely won't canoe trip. The other 2 large non-water dogs do have owners who want to canoe trip with their mutts. Recently we spent some time dockside with the big black "gotta keep my paws dry!!" She sports a PFD these days, and earned her praise whenever she fell in. Boy do they get heavy when wet! But those PFDs are great for extraction. She did manage to STAY on a SUP for awhile, so there's hope. And yes, she weighs about 90 pounds, so we have that much of it.
Thanks Mike.

That's awesome. My Kane is the reason I got into canoeing. His fat butt wouldn't fit with me in my kayak. (or did I have the fat butt?) :)
Props for using the doggie vest.

Attachments

• photo11979.jpg
    photo11979.jpg
    452.6 KB · Views: 0
Even with the initial bail, it sounds like a good beginning. When I first started out with our pooch, she's also a rescue that weighs about 55 pounds, I did it in a tandem with my wife. I figured if the dog was truly uncomfortable, I could paddle while my wife comforted her. It didn't take long for her to get used to the movement of the canoe and she could easily go in my solo with me. I also use a piece of CCF pad for her so she has her "place" in the canoe. Between all of that, and keeping treats at the ready, she seems ready to go whenever the change arrives. I'm sure you're on this same road so keep going and enjoy the ride.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

Just got a new pup last week so I'm going to try and make here a canoe buddy, got lucky because she seems to love water. Have the canoe in the yard for her to play in too. She also has one of those small plastic swimming pools and with about 6" of water she loves playing in it. Took her out canoeing once so far and she jumped in for a swim and didn't seem to panic and was fine in the canoe when I pulled her in. She's only 15 lbs now and I'm told she'll get to around 50 lbs but we shall see, her dad is a Tibetian Mastiff......... Didn't dump the canoe when she jumped because I was in my fly fishing favorite one, a 13' flat bottom Merrimack with a 39" beam.

Good luck with yours, keep trying.

Dog Tales
Our rescue Lab mix from Georgia , seems to do well in the canoe.
He hates: heat ( yes he is from Georgia)
Water ( I did say Lab mix.. might be cattle dog too). He has a CFD and cannot wait to get out of the water when immersed. He literally panics.. We try a dip now and then but I don't want to stress him. Maybe his water hatred keeps him in the boat.
My Georgia dog loves: Snow.. Lots of snow.

Dogs are if nothing else entertaining and most just want to be with us. Buddy had to ride a ferry four times last week and the first time was terrified.. By trip four he was willingly going up open stairs

Back